Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Tank Treatments - Yay or Nay?

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
This is two-part thread....

I have been RV camping for most of my life. I can always remember my dad using the old blue liquid in the toilet after dumping the tanks. This what I did once I started camping with my family.

How many of y'all use chemicals in the black tank?

WHEN do you use the chemicals?

I have seen few videos that talk about the treatments becoming inactive after a long period of time sitting in the tank and even causing issues with build-up. My common sense light comes on when I think about adding the treatment before the trip.

Also, this is my first camper with a built-in flush for the black tank. Once I am done, do I need to add any water or anything?

Thanks in advance!
59 REPLIES 59

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Roflmao

Maybe you remember this..Back several years the City of Seattle declared a water shortage and people with odd number address watered on odd days and even on even. People abided by these rules. Next thing ya know they had a budget shortfall, raised the water rates and then all of a sudden the shortage was over and they were rolling in the $$$.

Smoke and mirror in so many cases. Water shortage in NW WA, yea right!!! It's all about control.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
HappyKayakers wrote:
Everything has a measurable impact on water supply. Letting the water run while brushing your teeth, using an irrigation system on your lawn that floods the street, and yes, black tank flushing. While each of these has minimal impact, add them all up (plus the hundreds of other ways we waste water) and you make a difference. It's the same principle as backpackers drilling holes in their toothbrush handles. Grams make ounces and ounces make pounds. The attitude of 'if it doesn't make a major difference, it doesn't matter' is self defeating.

way2roll wrote:
Are you guys seriously trying to say that RV black tanks have any measurable impacts to water supply and demand and droughts? And further that black tank treatments and chemicals will solve this issue?

Some folks pick odd hills to plant a flag on. I appreciate the concern. I am still not going to use black tank chemicals and as much water is needed. My feeling is that water helps the breakdown process so when it gets to the leech field or treatment plant, less energy and water is required to break things down and remove the very chemicals that were added unnecessarily. Add to that, an RV toilet and subsequent black tank uses considerably less water than a sticks and bricks one. To each his own, I'll pass on the preaching session though. I'm not sold on your logic regarding RV black tank's impacts to droughts. It's probably the opposite by comparison. In any event, this whole debate is really silly.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Everything has a measurable impact on water supply. Letting the water run while brushing your teeth, using an irrigation system on your lawn that floods the street, and yes, black tank flushing. While each of these has minimal impact, add them all up (plus the hundreds of other ways we waste water) and you make a difference. It's the same principle as backpackers drilling holes in their toothbrush handles. Grams make ounces and ounces make pounds. The attitude of 'if it doesn't make a major difference, it doesn't matter' is self defeating.

way2roll wrote:
Are you guys seriously trying to say that RV black tanks have any measurable impacts to water supply and demand and droughts? And further that black tank treatments and chemicals will solve this issue?
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Roflmao
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
While the amount of water remains constant, only 3% of the water is โ€œfreshwaterโ€ and suitable for human use. That freshwater does diminish due to pollution and other similar conditions (such as adding it to a black tank). Hence every year more and more people experience โ€œshortagesโ€ of water. Water shortage may not effect you, but it is very real, today, to millions of people. Your posts indicate to me an attitude of - as long as Iโ€™m not affected, not a problem, use it indiscriminately. Not true Iโ€™m sure, but none the less, not a good look.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Water may change phases, but the amount always remains constant. Did you know that the total amount of water on Earth is fixed? The amount of water is neither gained nor lost between the Earth and its atmosphere."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, I know a Guy who lives on a hill. For some reason hit Septic is on the high side of the house, while his Well is on the low side. Jokes that he simply recycles his water.
Water isn't being destroyed, it's just recycled. Water soaks into the ground an into the aquafers which we pump out of, but when finished we return it, it doesn't get lost anywhere.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Try comprehending this. Assuming that the amount of water on the planet never changes, there is a huge difference between 10,000 nomadic peole using water to drink and bathe, and 8 billion mostly stationary people using water for unnatural landscaping (lawns), washing cars, water fountains, water parks, swimming pools, manufacturing, farming. etc, etc, etc. You can't put that much stress on the finite water supply without consequences.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Maybe you can tell that to the states who get their water from the Colorado River. The same ones who just had to hammer out a new agreement on water usage with a lot of cuts.

While your claim may or may not be true, this planet has never been host to so many humans who use water without thinking of the consequences.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
OMG.......

"After reading about various water shortages across the country, I'm perfectly happy with using a probiotic in the tank and conserving water."

You do understand that the amount of water on this planet has NEVER changed??????

Best go back to the Cave.

YES it's true.

Not sure how you can be serious about that statement Cummins. The comment about population growth and drought (especially in the US Southwest and Colorado river drainage) are spot on.

Or you can bury your head in the sand and not acknowledge the fact of a 20 year drought.

WHY do people never READ what I say??? On edit, Comprehend What I Say???

Water volume on this planer has never changed. Are you disagreeing with me, I don't see you doing so.

So read my words, do you think there is a water shortage in the Coachella Valley, CA?
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Maybe you can tell that to the states who get their water from the Colorado River. The same ones who just had to hammer out a new agreement on water usage with a lot of cuts.

While your claim may or may not be true, this planet has never been host to so many humans who use water without thinking of the consequences.

Cummins12V98 wrote:
OMG.......

"After reading about various water shortages across the country, I'm perfectly happy with using a probiotic in the tank and conserving water."

You do understand that the amount of water on this planet has NEVER changed??????

YES it's true.

Not sure how you can be serious about that statement Cummins. The comment about population growth and drought (especially in the US Southwest and Colorado river drainage) are spot on.

Or you can bury your head in the sand and not acknowledge the fact of a 20 year drought.

WHY do people never READ what I say??? On edit, Comprehend What I Say???

Water volume on this planer has never changed. Are you disagreeing with me, I don't see you doing so.

So read my words, do you think there is a water shortage in the Coachella Valley, CA?

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only time we use Thetford Chemicals is when we are boondocking in hot weather. Which lately has not been very often.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use chemicals (actually just one specific toilet chemical for a couple reasons), not to help break waste down, but strictly to help contain, control odors.

Yes, it is true that in a perfect world, where nothing goes wrong, you do everything right and never make mistakes, and all systems, components on your RV work as they should all the time....In that world, yes, you should never have odors, even if no chemicals.

However, I don't live in that perfect world. None of us do, if we are honest.

In my world, the real world.....Sometimes things go wrong. Things like:
Sewer hoses sometimes spring small leaks.
Seals sometimes wear out and let sewer odors leak out before the seal can be fixed.
Vent lines can get clogged and allow odors to come out places they aren't supposed to.
Hose clamps can loosen or break and allow a small leak (or a big one).
Sewer hookup or dump stations aren't always such that one can connect to it with a completely airtight seal.

The list goes on and on of what can and does go wrong in the real, imperfect world we all live in.

Because of all those things that can and do go wrong...I use a black tank chemical. It is there to mitigate odors when unfortunate circumstances require that it be mitigated briefly.

Its really a personal choice, and everyone will tell you something different, as this thread has shown. For me personally, I try to do what I can to mitigate odors, just in case they do find a way to escape.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:
OMG.......

YES it's true.

LOL. Yes there is a finite amount of water on the planet. It never changes. Might change form and location, but the amount never changes.

Nature gave us all the chemicals we need. The amount of time required for any chemical or probiotic to breakdown waste in an RV holding tank is much longer than I care to let it sit there. And letting it sit that long would simply exacerbate any smells you are trying to get rid of. Anything that covers up smells is a band aid. It's a holding tank. And ideally it shouldn't hold anything longer than a few days.

RV holding tanks are sealed systems with the exception of a roof vent. If you have odors, that's a systemic problem not a waste problem.

Also, many people confuse grey tank odors with the black. I always ensure all my sink drain stoppers are in place when putting it in storage. If the sink traps dry then you can have grey tank smells come into the camper. Easily remedied by adding water to the traps.

And as far as water conservation, I am certain that the amount of water I use when flushing the RV toilet is equal to or less than any household toilet. But it's pretty simple, use less water, have more solids and harder to drain your tanks. No chemical or probiotic is going to magically liquify something when there isn't already enough water.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:
OMG.......

YES it's true.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010