cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace insulation inside heater column.

GuyCanRV
Explorer III
Explorer III

I just had my Dometic fridge cooling unit repaired and am putting everything back together.
I was watching a good video on this subject and the experienced guys (with their own company)
recommended replacing the insulation surrounding the pipes inside the heater column.

I could smell the gas residue I believe they were talking about, in mine.
Is the insulation easy to purchase? I just want to play it safe.
I went to my local hardware store and they didn't have a clue where I could find it.
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Thanks for the link. The insulation is available at any home improvement center. From the video it looks like it's standard unfaced R-13 insulation at about $22 a roll. Unfortunately at least at my HD they only sell R-13 faced (with paper backing) and unfaced is special order. If that's all you can get though, it's easy enough to peel the backing off the insulation before use. If you own a house you can just roll the remainder of the insulation out in the attic.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Thanks for the link. The insulation is available at any home improvement center. From the video it looks like it's standard unfaced R-13 insulation at about $22 a roll. Unfortunately at least at my HD they only sell R-13 faced (with paper backing) and unfaced is special order. If that's all you can get though, it's easy enough to peel the backing off the insulation before use. If you own a house you can just roll the remainder of the insulation out in the attic.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

OK thanks very much for the tip, I appreciate it.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

I find it hard to believe that there would be a gas residue smell in the insulation. Are you experiencing the smell or are they just suggesting it.

Can you post a link to the video and around what time in the video they talk about replacing it?

Sure here is the video. The time is at 30:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8kBX9LzIJo

I had my cooling unit repaired a couple of years ago due to an ammonia leak.
I used the same insulation and didn't have any issues with it.

It was repaired again a couple of weeks ago due to a blockage in the cooling unit.
I am just putting together the unit to use again.