cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Microwave's internal fuse

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
In December 2014 my Sharp R820BK microwave/convection oven just stopped working. I woke up one morning and went to heat something in the microwave and the was no time being displayed. Nothing worked on the keypad. It worked fine the day before. The AC outlet tested fine.

I put off removing it and looking at it until November 2015. I removed the microwave and opened the case. The Littelfuse Series 314 20A 250V fast acting ceramic cartridge fuse had blown. I bought a 5-pack of the exact same fuse on eBay for $6.53 USD, including shipping. I replaced the fuse and life returned to the microwave.

I finally got around to uploading the pictures that I took of the microwave oven when I replaced the internal fuse. Some of the images have labels. All of the images have comments below the picture. linky.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures
6 REPLIES 6

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I had a microwave that I liked. When it quit working, I found that there was no output from the transformer, and no replacement available. So I dug into the transformer, (destroying it) and found a blown fuse deep inside the windings. Had I known that the suckers pulled this dirty trick, I could have installed a fuse externally.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, many blown microwave fuses are caused by opening the door before or instead of pushing the stop button when the microwave is running. For some reason, it really seems hard to not do this....I'm often guilty myself. See the below excerpt from a microwave service manual.

"Interlock switches
Various door interlock switches prevent inadvertent generation of microwaves unless the door is closed completely. At least one of these will be directly in series with the transformer primary so that a short in the relay or triac cannot accidentally turn on the microwaves with the door open. The interlocks must be activated in the correct sequence when the door is closed or opened.
Interestingly, another interlock is set up to directly short the power line if it is activated in an incorrect sequence. The interlocks are designed so that if the door is correctly aligned, they will sequence correctly. Otherwise, a short will be put across the power line causing the fuse to blow forcing the oven to be serviced. This makes it more difficult for an ignorant consumer to just bypass the door interlocks should they fail or to run the oven with an open door as a room heater - and protects the manufacturer from lawsuits. (That interlock may be known as a "dummy switch" for obvious reasons and is often not even mentioned in the schematic/parts manifest.) Of course, should that switch ever actually be used, not only will the fuse blow, but the switch contacts will likely be damaged by the high initial current! This also means it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the interlock switch which might have been affected if your oven fails with a blown fuse due to a door problem.

Failed door interlocks account for the majority of microwave oven problems - perhaps as high as 75 percent. This is not surprising considering that two of the three switches carry the full oven current - any deterioration of the contacts results in increased resistance leading to their heating and further deterioration. And, opening the door to interrupt a cook cycle results in arcing at the contacts. Complete meltdowns are not unusual! If any defective door switches are found, it is probably a good idea to replace all of them as long as the oven is already apart.

The typical door switches and their function:

โ€ขDoor Sensing: Input to the microcontroller to indicate the state of the door.

โ€ขInterlock Monitor: Shorts out the AC line (and blows the main fuse) should the Primary Interlock not open due to incorrect sequencing of the door switches or a failed switch.

โ€ขPrimary Interlock: In series with the high voltage (magnetron) power supply so cuts power when the door is open.

Note that if the Door Sensing switch should malfunction, peculiar behavior may occur (like the fan or turntable operating at the wrong time) but should never result in microwaves being generated with the door open. "
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Among other things, microwave oven fuses can blow from...old age (perhaps assisted by poor connectivity with the fuse holder causing undue heating), from accumulated crud or maladjustment causing the door safety switch to misbehave and operate its contacts out of order, or from a short in the magnetron or failure of the high voltage power supply.

If the oven works after replacing the fuse, the third option is presumably not the cause.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I had a low voltage situation in my old trailer 30 amp, wife turned on too many things. Before the breaker tripped, with the Microwave running, it took the microwave fuse out and the capacitor. Replaced them both and everything was fine. Funny thing is I had a cap lying around from another microwave (home unit) that had a bad magnatron. So all I had to buy was a fuse.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The internal fuse in the microwave in our previous coach also blew. Or at least that's what I thought. After removing it though, and finding that a replacement fully restored normal operation, I took a close look at the inside of the fuse with a handheld 100x microscope. It quickly became obvious that the fuse element had simply detached from one end cap rather than blowing from an overload. I suspect vibration was the real culprit, possibly combined with a fuse that wasn't assembled quite as well as it might have been. In normal stationary residential use, that fuse may have lasted years longer.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now the only question is WHY did a 20A 'FAST acting' fuse blow in the first place :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31