cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Led cree bulbs

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I want to replace the signal bulbs on my FW and I find some bulbs by JDM ASTAR.They are 1157 cree 50w for 29$ for 2.Anybody try them or use other one which are a lot brighter than the incandescent one.Please let me know before I start the camping season.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
6 REPLIES 6

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I thank you for the response.The people who list the bulbs say that is 50w bulbs but being a LED use only 10w regular.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What is the need or purpose of having brighter turn//brake lights? If it's added visibility for following motorists, installing a light bar with flashing signal function may be a better solution.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If those are actually 50W LED bulbs with CREE LEDs, then they will be far, far brighter than the incandescent bulbs in your taillights. They'd produce more light than your high beam headlights, too, though likely not as well focused.

I'm not sure the sockets on most taillights would be happy with 50W bulbs. That's around twice the power dissipation of a standard 1157 bulb, and so close to twice the heat generated. (Even an LED bulb converts a large majority of the power supplied to it into heat rather than light.)

If the lights are abnormally dim, it might be more helpful to check all the wiring and connections and grounds for proper tightness and sizing. You may simply have low voltage at the lamps under load.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
Also remember, if you tail lights are incandescent, the lenses will not work as well with LED bulbs. There was an article in Trailer Life I think that showed the results. I would consider replacing the entire fixture for the tail lights.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I want to replace the signal bulbs on my FW and I find some bulbs by JDM ASTAR.They are 1157 cree 50w for 29$ for 2.Anybody try them or use other one which are a lot brighter than the incandescent one.Please let me know before I start the camping season.

Unless your signals are white, you want the LED color to match the lens color.

White leds, despite what our eyes say, are actually BLUE, and their phosphor coating gives off some yellow, to trick us into seeing white. Put a blue led behind a yellow or red lens, the result is not good. An incandescent bulb gives off mostly red and yellow light, so it works well behind these colored filters.

If your signals are red, get red led replacements, sometimes called red-orange or dot red.

If your signals are yellow, get yellow led replacements, sometimes called orange, amber or dot yellow.

for example:
right angle 1157 dual function

more 1157 bulbs
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree the cree chips are the latest and greatest LED, BUT for your tail lights you can buy two for these for .......$9.49 with only a 50,000 hour life. Will be plenty bright enough.

I would buy these for ....$4.75 as I like the 5050 chips and they will be bright enough.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...