cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window AC to roof air , hare brained idea.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I don't play golf or fish, but I do enjoy puttering in my garage and like a challenge. I like running my RV on one Honda 2000i and have found that it will only run an 8500 btu AC dependably. That is at all altitudes and temperatures.

I started one of these once before and ran out of time, so stuck a 8000 btu window AC in my Toyota. I still have the bug to do this.

This is a picture and link of one done by Professor 95 some time ago.

The issue I see with the one pictured is evacuating, cutting and reassembling lines. I have no evacuating equipment nor the swagging tools so would have to pay to have it done.

I am thinking that possibly the cold air discharge could be modified to redirect the air without disassembling the cooling system.

Anyone have any input on this?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21943313/print/true.cfm

16 REPLIES 16

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting story. I did some experimenting and am 100% sure the Toyota needs 8000 btu. It is just barely adequate on a high 90's day sitting in direct sun.

Finding the right donor seems to be the challenge for this project. The places that sell keep them in box's so cannot inspect before purchase.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I remember living in vegas one year, my 13500BTU (drew 12 amps) barely kept my trailer, a 32' HR TT with slideout, cool some days. And I was afraid of tripping the main with a dog in the trailer all day. My next door neighbor was a "tin knocker" and built a little insulated house over his a/c. I bought a cheap 5000btu that drew 5 amps in my emergency window in the bedroom. Put a piece of styrofoam over to give it a bit of sun shield. It blew the roof top out of the water. Go for it!

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The more I look at the Media AC unit the less I like it. It is very cheaply constructed. I have it sitting next to the LG and it is night and day, the LG weights 8 lbs more than the Media and it shows. So will write this one off.

Thanks for the input, I will have to put this project on hold for a couple months. I have AC in the RV so there is no pressure to get it done.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Airdaile wrote:
I wonder if you could use a ductless A/C like this putting the condenser in the basement.

I would love to put a mini split in. I have DIY'ed 3 minis in my house.

I have a mini RV an old Toyota and there is no room for the evaporator, without creating an eyesore or head bumper install.

If you Google mini split AC in RV's you will be surprised how many are doing it.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if you could use a ductless A/C like this putting the condenser in the basement.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I tired of looking for a used ac for this so bought a new one. Seems a much better candidate with lots of free area on the right side to experiment with.

It is a Media 8,000 btu. I do notice that the fan is much smaller than the LG. I have a base, cover and inside trim from a Duo Therm I hope to utilize.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The is supposed to let you run most any roof air conditioner on a Honda 2000. I plan to try it soon. There are several YouTube videos where people have tried it and seem very happy with it.Micro-Air

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The 8000 btu LG AC I picked up is the wrong one for this project. The compressor and assorted tubing is all on the side I need to discharge cool air on. Would be ok if I were to cut and extend lines, but that is what I want to stay away from.

Will be looking for another AC so stay tuned for the rest of the story!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
What a great project. I hope it works out to be practical.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
First attempt at redirecting airflow. Cad/Cam a diverter : ) and checking to see if unit will freeze up. Air flow is better than I expected.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up a experimental one, 3 years old and looks a little worse for wear inside. The LG 8000 btu seems to be the lowest profile 12.4" to fit the cover I have.

Looking it over and trying to figure a direction to go with it?

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
He definitely cut lines. I thought this project would be a ways off. But finished up what I was working on and now only need a donor AC.

MrWizard
IIRC the Professor did not cut any lines, he unfolded everything
Removing the factory pan from the window unit
And mounted everything into the pan from the gutted rooftop unit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have often read that a regular roof AC can be run with a Honda 2000, I personally have run a 13.5k roof air with a Honda 2000.

I can also run my 11k roof unit with my Honda but it is not dependable even with a hard start capacitor installed.

The 11k Colman power saver draws 45.6 LRA. Locked Rotor Amps. 45.6A is under ideal conditions. When you look at the numbers the 45.6 is beyond the capability's of the Honda.

The mighty little Honda will start and run the 11k when the temperature is in the 70's, somewhere between 70 and the 90's the Honda will no longer start the AC! A web search shows that for every person that claims to be running a roof air on a 2000 there are 5 that say it will not work!