cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,712 REPLIES 1,712

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
WinMinnie02 wrote:
Fortunately had $ to buy new, IMHO used units are someone's else problems. I know my unit and maintained them myself. No trust in rentals maintaining them, if buying used, IMHO private party is best.

disagree! private parties can neglect their units. Rental companies loose money if their units are not in shape to rent. My exrental has been excellent for the last 3 years!

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately had $ to buy new, IMHO used units are someone's else problems. I know my unit and maintained them myself. No trust in rentals maintaining them, if buying used, IMHO private party is best.

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
MtnBikeMarty wrote:
2012 Cruise America 27G/E450 v10 chasis update:

I just got the rear anti-sway bar installed by my local Ford Truck/RV service center, I went with the Hellwig (rear) kit which requires no drilling of the frame, as opposed to the RoadMaster anti-sway kit, which requires drilling. Decided to have them install it cause Phoenix is too HOT outside to work on it and my lack of power tools... ~$225.

WOW does it drive better... heck yes! It used to rock-n-roll like crazy just pulling into my driveway over the rounded curb. Haven't highway tested it yet with semi's blowing by, but we're taking it out soon on a kayaking camp trip.
MtnBikeMarty

UPDATE: I ordered directly from Hellwig, it was like $350 for the model for the E450 chassis (model #HWG7180), it was $225 for my local Phoenix Ford (Sanderson Ford Truck Center) to put it in. Some of you guys with air tools, multiple jacks, and another pair of helping hands could probably do it in 1-2 hours. And not in Phoenix during the summer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

RIDE: OMG... big difference. My wife saying after a couple hours of me driving to a campsite... "you're not tired and grumpy" says it all. And we can even go on a mountain bike ride the first day...lol

NEXT: Thinking of ordering the rear Sumo springs (SuperSprings SSR-107-54 | SumoSprings Rear for Ford E-350|E-450, Yellow) about $310 amazon, and then the chassis stuff is good to roll...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fadumpt,Just to save you a bit of re reading here are a few things I have saved that may be of help

From MtBikeMarty

Another one

Also one for the rear

One more from Harvard on setting up castor for better handling.

For me one of the best things was to change out my shocks to Bilsteins

I hope this all helps. Let us know how it turns out.
Buying A Rental Class C

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
On my 28A the best bang for the buck was a frontend alignment to close to 5? castor as possible on the 2012 Ford E350 chassis.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

fadumpt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to re-read through the posts here but wanted to get input from people that did this awhile ago and posted about it or haven't posted about it.

I have a 2015 Majestic 28A and am going to upgrade steering and suspension to be more comfortable and stable on the highway. I have a Roadmaster return to center shock.

What other upgrades made the biggest difference?
Rear track bar? Front/rear anti-sway bars? Shocks.... Koni, Bilstein, other?
Something else?
2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
2015 Thor Majestic 28a - Black waste tank removal and repair...

I just completed a fix on my Majestic 28a. Learned a lot and thought I would post the link here also in case any fellow CA Majestic owners would find it useful or be searching for it...

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30326133.cfm

If you scroll down to the ~10th post there is a complete description with photos/etc

Happy Camping!
Chris

IMPORTANT PREVENTATIVE NOTE: My RV only had 2 brackets in the front edge of the black waste tank holding it up to the underside of the RV. Each of those brackets had places for THREE screws, but they only had TWO screws in each. So, essentially it was being held up by 4 screws. I have since added a 3rd screw to each of those brackets AND added a 3rd bracket on the front edge. You should take a look at what you have on yours and you might want to add some extra screws and perhaps another bracket BEFORE you have this problem and then you can avoid it in the first place! I have another identical Majestic 28a and it also only had 2 brackets with 2 screws on each so I also added more screws and another bracket to that RV as well. I also added 2 additional screws on the rear 2 brackets (there wasn't room for a 3rd bracket).

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris,what a great write up on this,with the pictures and everything.
I will archive this in case someone else may need it in the future.

For any others Here is a Clicky to that 10th post
Buying A Rental Class C

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Thor Majestic 28a - Black waste tank removal and repair...

I just completed a fix on my Majestic 28a. Learned a lot and thought I would post the link here also in case any fellow CA Majestic owners would find it useful or be searching for it...

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30326133.cfm

If you scroll down to the ~10th post there is a complete description with photos/etc

Happy Camping!
Chris
San Jose, CA

Booner
Explorer
Explorer
After having my 23A for over a year I thought I would check in.
I haven't had really any negative issues with the RV until recently, and it concerns the house battery. It seems I haven't been giving the battery the love it deserves. CA said they put a new battery in the unit before I bought it, and the battery is a rather expensive battery (Lifeline 100 AH AGM), but since I can't find anything on the battery telling me when it was made, and I suspect that if the battery was "new" a year before I purchased the rv, it probably wasn't charged or maintained as it should have been.
When I first got the rv, I put a number of long trips on it, which should have fully charged the AGM battery. It's only been lately that I think it doesn't hold a charge as it should. But then, how I'm using the rv now has changed, With the cost of gas, I don't make the long trips anymore.

So I think either the battery has seen better days due to the way it's been used prior to my ownership, and/or the way I've been charging the battery hasn't done it any good. For example, I thought that simply driving the rv a long distance would fully charge the battery. No, the alternator will only give it a bulk charge; to fully charge the battery up to 100%, I need to trickle charge it for a couple of days. Who would have thought that?

For a while I've been researching adding solar power to help fully charge the battery. I've learned a ton of information on batteries and solar on the Sportsmobile website. I realize there's information available on various RV sites, but I found that after reading them, they didn't answer all of my questions. On the Sportsmobile site, all of the information I was looking for was in one spot.

the link-->https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f20/faq-s-battery-problems-and-common-power-calculators-1940.html

Hopefully, this link will help someone discover everything they need to know about how to take care of their house batteries.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
After new batteries at Costco the engine would not turn over.
Also a GM van same thing. The batteries says it has 1000 amps but really zero amps and much less than 12 volts.
After 7 months the engine still didnโ€™t start. Damaged the engine ?!
I have both in a good garage and mechanics but they cannot do anything to help.
There is some information on Costco,, asking for more information like year of manufacture and Costco card.

If you find out anything please post it here.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
After looking around on the Forum and on the rental thread I did not find much but looking on another Forum I
Found this that may be of help to you.

Those Former Rentals are tough but sometimes the parts just break,otherwise it sounds like everything is going well,good luck on this.Come on back and share if this is of any use to you so others may be helped.
Buying A Rental Class C

socal77
Explorer II
Explorer II
No insights on my question regarding how to replace the water pump in my 2009 28A I posted a few days ago? Hoping for some guidance on pump model, etc. Thanks!

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
SJ-Chris wrote:
Does anyone know if the 2015 Majestic 28a has a CABIN AIR FILTER?

Usually, air filters are located (in cars) behind/under the glove box.

I called one store to ask if they have a cabin air filter for the e450 Super Duty V10 and they said they don't and there might not be one.

Anybody here know? If so, I'd like to change mine as I haven't since I purchased them.

Thanks,
Chris

I heard today from Thor that the 28a Majestic has no CABIN air filter. One less thing to change I guess lol...
San Jose, CA

socal77
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link to photo with arrow showing where leak coming from
Link to photo showing pump model info

Hi Guys,

We've been enjoying our 2009 Majestic 28A the last 5 years and counting. Amazing how durable they are constructed. Having said that, things are going to wear out over time. Our water pump started to leak this weekend. I'm hoping someone can point me to some YouTube instruction videos to replace it, the model # of the pump, and the best place to order it from.

Thanks in advance!