Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering move from class A to C

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Senior citizen here. I’ve been considering moving to a class C (from class A) thinking it may be easier and more comfortable to drive. However, after reading some of the threads regarding the heat issue around the dog house, I’m not sure I need more heat. (I live in Arizona.)
Is the heat and noise issue as considerable as some mention? Having never driven a class C, I assumed the driving would be less stressful, but now I’m starting to rethink the idea.

Have any of you made the move I’m considering?

Thanks,
Bill
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
37 REPLIES 37

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

I would suggest that you look into one on a Chevy Chassis there you will have none of the heat problems from the doghouse,a larger cockpit area,better handling, and a much smoother riding RV.

Why Chevy? What's the matter with a Ford engine/chassis?
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
If you're thinking to downsize, I'd see how small you can go. We all have a tendency to carry too much, I have a few hundred pounds of excess stuff on the back axle right now! Very impressed by Europeans who come here with their rigs and what they can fit/ need. I agree with the MB/ Sprinter chassis and fitting into 1 parking spot - why not ?
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
I don’t have a DP. I have a 30 foot gasser on Ford chassis. The handling, noise, and rough ride are starting to take a toll on the old guy.

Bill

I had a 2016 26.5' Sunstar gasser, and we traded it in on a "diesel puller" Winnebago Navion after one trip out in the class A. The Ford class a F53 chassis w/V10/6spd power plant's noise, heat, and terrible fuel economy made our decision easy for us.
The Navion is probably our forever RV, unless MB comes up with a better chassis than the Sprinter 3500 with the 3.0L V6 turbo-diesel.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another senior citizen here and a former Class A owner,if you are looking to buy a Class C.

I would suggest that you look into one on a Chevy Chassis there you will have none of the heat problems from the doghouse,a larger cockpit area,better handling, and a much smoother riding RV.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on renting one if possible. I suspect the handling, roughness of ride, and noise are not going to be a whole lot better--nor worse--than your current motorhome, assuming it's halfway reasonably well sorted. The sensations are a little different, mostly due to the lower driving position in a class C, but the overall characteristics should be similar.

Class A's tend to be more maneuverable than class C's of a similar length, mainly in terms of how tightly they can turn.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I drive slower (60 ish) my class A gasser is fine. When I give it more gas, it raises my tension level. Slow down and keep the A.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t have a DP. I have a 30 foot gasser on Ford chassis. The handling, noise, and rough ride are starting to take a toll on the old guy.

Bill
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go rent a Class C for a couple of days to try it out. Make sure you find one with two A/C units. One wont' do it in AZ.

I have a 40' DP and I don't find any stress in driving it. I would think a Class C might give you more stress in the wind and big trucks because you don't have the weight to help control you.

What do you find stressful about driving your DP?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.