cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to feed multi input sound system from one output laptop?

I have a killer speaker system that I used to have hooked up to my desktop PC. It's a Creative Inspire 5.1 (5300)

The PC had your typical sound card with multi channel output. No problem with a triple mini RCA out of the sound card into the speaker system with 3 inputs. Big subwoofer on the floor under my desk, a speaker in each corner of the room plus one center speaker on my desk. It worked great.

Well, genius here decided to take it out of storage where it's been for years and hook it up to my laptop. I tore my office apart, and my desk area to do this. I'm sure you see where this is going.....

So I mounted 5 speakers, ran the wiring, put the sub on the floor hooked everything up and went to plug it into my laptop.

I managed to make it this far before dummy me remembered that the laptop only has one sound output. :S:S

Sighhhh, sometimes I wonder about me.

My question is, does anyone know of a device that will take a single output and turn it to a multi output for this purpose. I know I likely won't get the separation of a true 5.1 sound system, but thats ok, I just want to use my nice speaker system. The onboard speakers sound like 2 tin cans on a string... So does the cheapo pair of desktop speakers I use.

I can get a splitter for taking one output into 2, but I have 3 inputs for my system.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
14 REPLIES 14

Gdetrailer wrote:
Bob, glad you got it working!

Me too, thank you!
I love it when a plan comes together.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob, glad you got it working!

Well, I'm happy to report back that with the help and direction of all who steered me here, I have it nailed!

That external sound card I posted above just arrived a few hours ago, and I got it hooked up and running.

I found out after buying it that it's an old device, made when Win XP was going strong. I had to download the latest drivers from their website to get it to work with Win 10, plus it took some fiddling in the settings, but I have it figured out now.

Works like a champ, and I have awesome surround sound in my office now! ๐Ÿ™‚

Wish I could wind it up to really try it out, but with a neighbor on each side I have to be polite.... :B

Thanks everyone for your input. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Bob your laptop should have the same "audio out" or headphone jack as your desktop did, so that same "triple mini" plug will work the same way. You don't need to buy anything else.

For 2 channel "stereo" audio you would be correct.

However, Bob is attempting to connect a "5.1" Surround sound speaker system to his laptop. I don't know of ANY laptop which has the additional front and rear plus subwoofer outputs built into it.

Many old desktop PCs USED to include a multi channel "surround sound " decoder and the extra output connections on the rear output panel for front/rear and subwoofer (IE "5.1" surround"). All you needed was enough speakers with amps for fronts and rears plus subwoofer and plug into the correct jacks.

SO, to get front/rear and sub decoding done with a laptop, one MUST use an EXTERNAL USB "sound card" dongle which will have all channel connections needed to get full surround decoding.

IF Bob didn't care about having surround sound, he could have just simply ignored the front or rear speakers but that would leave him without the sub... The fix there would be to use a 1/8" stereo (three pin) break out cable..

Like this..

Subwoofer would have worked since it will only reproduce the low frequencies and ignore the high frequencies. The front speakers would have worked since they will reproduce the frequencies above what the subwoofer can.

Just would not have the "rear speakers" in this case.

If Bob wanted all five speakers to work and not caring about soround then he could simply "stack" two of the "Y" connectors together and plug in all of the connections to the stacked "Y".

Not "ideal" but is workable solution.

BurbMan wrote:
Bob your laptop should have the same "audio out" or headphone jack as your desktop did, so that same "triple mini" plug will work the same way. You don't need to buy anything else.

My desktop had a high end Soundblaster card with multiple outputs for 7.1 surround sound. Though my 6 speaker system is only 5.1, it could still rock my world and rattle the windows! :B

Yes, I could have got a triple splitter and just done that, but after researching and reading a bunch I decided to go with the USB external sound card in an attempt to duplicate the output of my desktop unit.

I figured I wouldn't get the stereo separation or proper surround sound available from my 5.1 speaker system with the basic splitter, so opted for the card instead. I'm hoping my choice will offer the separation features, as I do like listening to my tunes like that.

10 bucks vs 45. I'm ok with that.

It is supposed to be delivered some time today. I'm eagerly waiting so I can try it out! I'll post back here once I do. ๐Ÿ™‚

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You mention an old USB hub. One thing to be aware of is the color of the center of the plug as it indicates the type and speed.

In the link I posted the centers are blue, that means USB 3 The fastest. A USB 2 uses black centers (a bit slower) and a USB 1 uses white centers (really slow). If your old hub has white centers I would probably toss it as USB 1 isn't good for much except maybe a keyboard or mouse input.

Technically there is a USB 4.0, but you're not going to find a hub with it on Amazon.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces wrote:
Since each USB port can support something like 127 devices, here's another item you might consider.

Link

That's great thank you. 127 devices? Wow, I did not know it was that many. I learn something new every day.
I have an old USB hub in my pile of computer parts to get rid of, maybe I might keep it.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Since each USB port can support something like 127 devices, here's another item you might consider.

Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

I just ordered This from Amazon.
Looks like it will do exactly what I need. My laptop has 4 USB ports and I use them all. I'll still have 3 for the rest of my things.

Thanks all, for steering me in the right direction.

Mitch, I may have stated the input / output unclearly. I said mini RCA, I have always called the small 3.5mm stereo jack that name.
The speaker inputs and the laptop outputs are all the 3.5mm stereo jacks.
I live in a small townhouse now, so must keep the volume down... darn!
My setup will shake the desk too! :B

opnspaces wrote:
would this work?
link

Yeah! This looks like it would work just fine. I will look into finding one. Thank you.

wa8yxm wrote:
Full size PC's used to have multiple outputs (3.5mM and RCA) Today's laptops generaly only have 3.5mM stereo.

You need to get a USB surround sound card.. Here is a page on Amazon .. Looks like these have 1/4" outputs however (not sure) so you will need the proper patch cables

Amazon Sound Cards
Since you like music I will name a song: (My Mamma told me.. to do the) SHOP AROUND.

Thanks for the info. I have a search point now.
And:B on the Mama told me.... LOL!
I remember the music of 2 Dog Night very well... It used to be 3 Dog Night, but one of them died a couple years ago.

Thanks for the help guys.:)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Full size PC's used to have multiple outputs (3.5mM and RCA) Today's laptops generaly only have 3.5mM stereo.

You need to get a USB surround sound card.. Here is a page on Amazon .. Looks like these have 1/4" outputs however (not sure) so you will need the proper patch cables

Amazon Sound Cards

Also .. No recommendation for or against the specific products listed. Just a starting point.. Now that you know what you need. Since you like music I will name a song: (My Mamma told me.. to do the) SHOP AROUND.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
would this work?
link

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi Uncle Bob.. I don't know much about this stuff, but I got some Harman/Kardon 2 speaker/sub setup some 10 years ago and it's just the single headphone output plug, but it does have a 120v plugin to.. It's like you typical 2 speaker setup, but it does have the sub on it and that thing BOOMS..

No 5.1 for sure, but you listen to any vid or play an iPod thru it and it will rattle the desk!

I don't have anymore info on it, as I don't even know when I got it, but it's **** old...

I don't even recall seeing PC audio outputs with the RCA out's.. I had an old 5.1 DVD player that did that.. But, even my BluRay 5.1 HDMI setup really does not have the bass that old H/K does to be honest...

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.