Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RG6 Cable

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody used this cable?

Quad-Shield RG11 Heavy Duty Coax Cable w/ Weather Boot Connectors Indoor/Outdoor

Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
2naEagle wrote:
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Has anybody used this cable?

Quad-Shield RG11 Heavy Duty Coax Cable w/ Weather Boot Connectors Indoor/Outdoor

Thanks!
RG11 is used primarily for very long runs. For most RV use RG6 is fine. RG11 isn't generally available at your local hardware store while RG6 is. I sure wouldn't spend a dime more for RG11 unless you are looking at running distances in excess of 200 feet.

Yeah, I need it for extended runs on my DISH Playmaker. Most of the places we camp it's pretty difficult to get a signal, so 100' gives me more options on where to place it, with minimal line loss.

Thanks for the replies!

Does the playmaker work OK at the long distance with the RG11?

Yes, everything works really well now, even at long distances. No issues left.Everything came right in and I was watching TV in about 15 minutes. Best $48.00 I ever spent! Very heavy duty, but rolls up really nice and fits in a small tote.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And the coax requirement may be necessary for someone that has more demanding equipment than yours. Genie 2 supports 2 4K TVs and 5 HD TVs. That is I believe 7+7+5 shows at once on the coax. Rather demanding.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it works you you, great! But signal levels vary as RVs travel, weather varies even if you don't move. So consider better quality coax and connectors. Also the coax supplies DC to power the LNBs so solid copper core should be used.

As a test I used all of my RG6 coax none of which had 3 HZ connectors or barrel connectors and connected it to my DTV dish. 304' total and it worked great. This was in the Phoenix area near the center of the spot beam and there was no or very slight change in the HR44 receiver signals. Clear weather.

Recorded 5 channels at once and worked great for a month. ๐Ÿ™‚ Did I mention that the receiver only hung twice? ๐Ÿ˜ž That's twice total in 4 years. Could it be the coax I wonder. :@

Bob

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine uses at least a 100 ft of RG-59 with no issues. But if you have to buy cable, go with RG-6. If you go someplace like Home Depot, I doubt that you will even find any RG-59.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I better tell my sat receiver it isnโ€™t supposed to be working the next time Iโ€™m watching a National Geographic show in HD via my Pathway connected with 150โ€™ of RG 59.

And while Iโ€™m no AV transmission expert, I believe this is a digital technology so no โ€œgood picture, fuzzy picture, no pictureโ€, itโ€™s good picture or no picture.

If you have RG59, try it. If it works, you are ok.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
mike-s wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
mike-s wrote:
But if you really want to waste your money, you want hardline or LMR-600.
LMR-600 is 50 ohm and can not be used. RG-11 is quite a bit thicker than RG-6. RG-6 will work fine.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Mike-s, YOU don't know what YOU are talking about.

LMR-600 SPECS states that it IS 50 ohm (FIFTY OHM) coax.
So what? You claimed it "can not be used", which is completely and utterly false. Get a clue.

I never claimed that RG59 OR LMR-600 "can't be used", I DID SAY that IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED, GET IT RIGHT AND DON'T SNIP OUT MY TEXT TO READ THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO.

Using the WRONG AND NOT RECOMMENDED COAX WILL DEGRADE THE SIGNAL STRENGTH AND QUALITY.

So, if you want to be stupid and use the wrong coax, that IS your prerogative to do so and live with your poor choice.

Don't tell folks to make the same mistakes as you did.

You obviously have never delt with satellite IF frequencies, the LMB does a block conversion of the frequencies it sees, that block conversion results in a INTERMEDIATE FREQUENCY or IF which is sent to the sat receiver box.

Making things even more interesting is the LNBs are MULTIPLEXED on the coax, meaning there is Horizontal, Vertical for EACH LNB multiplexed on to the coax..

That means that the coax MUST handle frequencies from 1 to 2 GIGAHERTZ with as little of loss possible RG59 performs TERRIBLY at 1-2 GIGAHERTZ.

Signal loss comparison..

From HERE

Signal Loss

While shielding techniques keep external signal from affecting our signals, there is always some signal loss over the length of any cable. Hereโ€™s the breakdown of signal loss (attenuation) in decibels for 100 ft. of cable. Just remember, the longer your cable runs are, the more signal loss you will experience. Thatโ€™s why itโ€™s best to keep your installation lengths as short as possible.
RG 59 Signal Loss (in dB) per 100 ft:

Loss at 50 MHz: 2.4 dB
Loss at 100 MHz: 3.4 dB
Loss at 400 MHz: 7.0 dB
Loss at 900 MHz: 11.1 dB
Loss at 1000 MHz: 12.0 dB

RG 6 Signal Loss (in dB) per 100 ft:

Loss at 50 MHz: 1.5 dB
Loss at 100 MHz: 2.0 dB
Loss at 400 MHz: 4.3 dB
Loss at 900 MHz: 6.8 dB
Loss at 1000 MHz: 7.0 dB

At the sat IF frequencies of 1 GIGAHERTZ you could use 10 ft of RG59 for 1.2 DB loss
20ft of RG 59 2.4DB, 30ft would be 3.6DB (half of the signal).

10ft of RG6 is .7 DB, 20ft is 1.4 DB, 30ft is 2.1 DB, 40 ft is 2.8 DB, 50 ft is 3.5 DB (half signal).

I don't understand why ANYONE wants to throw out signal, your sat receiver will ALWAYS WORK BEST WITH THE MAX INPUT SIGNAL AS POSSIBLE.

Using RG59 while IS possible to do FOR SHORT distances, it IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Using any 50 ohm coax is ALSO NOT RECOMMENDED since it WILL have considerable impedance mismatch resulting in poor performance.

IF you WANT the best possible stable operation it IS BEST to HEED the manufacturers RECOMMENDATIONS instead of deciding the you the "JR arm chair engineer" know best.. :S

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I need 200' of coax for SWM at my daughters. As a test I hooked up 304' of various RG6 coax lengths in the Phoenix area where the DTV sat signals are 90+. None of this coax had SWM quality connectors or barrel connectors. In 4 weeks the HR44 receiver hung twice.

Questions: With better RG6 connectors and solid copper core what are my chances of good reception in the Seattle area with RG6? Should I get say 2x 100' lengths of coax?

Both the Portland and Seattle spot beam maps show a strong signal in the Seattle area.
Using a single length of coax would be preferred. Every connection adds a bit of attenuation. Since power is sent down the coax, solid copper would give lower voltage drop. I think your best choice would be 200' of RG-6 quad shield with solid copper center conductor.

A search on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=200+feet+rg6+solid+copper&ref=nb_sb_noss
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 50 feet of LMR-400 Lying about but it too is 50 Ohm. Did not cost me anything however. (And I do use 50 Ohm for... Non television... Stuff, as some might guess from my screen name) Also RG 8, 58, 8x and some other flavors.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
So what? You claimed it "can not be used", which is completely and utterly false. Get a clue.
I will amend my statement and say "should not be used". You seem to be implying that 50 ohm will work as well as 75 ohm. Using 50 ohm cable to connect devices that have an impedance of 75 ohms will degrade the signal.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
mike-s wrote:
Tom_M wrote:
mike-s wrote:
But if you really want to waste your money, you want hardline or LMR-600.
LMR-600 is 50 ohm and can not be used. RG-11 is quite a bit thicker than RG-6. RG-6 will work fine.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Mike-s, YOU don't know what YOU are talking about.

LMR-600 SPECS states that it IS 50 ohm (FIFTY OHM) coax.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I need 200' of coax for SWM at my daughters. As a test I hooked up 304' of various RG6 coax lengths in the Phoenix area where the DTV sat signals are 90+. None of this coax had SWM quality connectors or barrel connectors. In 4 weeks the HR44 receiver hung twice.

Questions: With better RG6 connectors and solid copper core what are my chances of good reception in the Seattle area with RG6? Should I get say 2x 100' lengths of coax?

Both the Portland and Seattle spot beam maps show a strong signal in the Seattle area.

Bob

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My open face Dish 1000.4 dish with a triple LNB works fine with 250' (5-50' lengths) of RG6, but it doesn't need to power an automatic dish internals, just the LNB and Solo Node.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I watched a Directv training video years ago when SWM first came out.
It explained the big advantage of SWM was that it could usually be installed on existing RG59 houses and rewiring should be kept to a minimum.
For what itโ€™s worth.

I bought the quad shield stuff because I needed new cable and it looked worth the extra money.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.