cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small speakers on the wall?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
24 ft trailer, 6'6" ceiling, not much room. Built-in ceiling speakers are "ok" for watching movies, not so much for music.

I'm thinking to hang these on the wall close to the ceiling as standalone 2.0 with no subwoofer: Polk Signature S10E, $100.
They used to be $250, now Polk upgraded it to Elite ES10 for the same $250 - something with improved X-over, I don't think it matters in my situation. Amazon is dumping older S10E for $100. Compact, 8x5x6". Front bass port, but in this small space I'll be within 5-10 ft from them and won't be running it loud.

Any thoughts? Or maybe just to upgrade existing ceiling speakers with better ones.
6 REPLIES 6

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I just use a portable Bluetooth speaker with 3.5mm input when watching TV or a movie inside. It is far more useful to take along on a hike, the beach, or sitting around the campfire.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
This is very similar to what I put in. Probably just the newer version. It has worked great.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
TurnThePage wrote:
I added a small self powered sub and a small amp to power speakers similar to what you're looking at. The sub and amp went under the couch. The system really rocks and isn't hard on the RV electrical. The sound always surprises people.

Movies and music are a positive experience again.

Under the couch is a good idea. Any suggestions for a sub? Powered sub with built-in amp seems easier, but maybe I'm missing something.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I added a small self powered sub and a small amp to power speakers similar to what you're looking at. The sub and amp went under the couch. The system really rocks and isn't hard on the RV electrical. The sound always surprises people.

Movies and music are a positive experience again.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bose. That would be my recommendation they do rather well with small speakers.

But what SSTHRD said.. Most folks think that if you get enough volume out of a 50 watt system what do you neeed 150 watts for? Cleaner sound it's not just the volume but not having enough power behind the drivers means the sound gets muddied some (The only way I can describe it)

Kind of like two cars. The 30 HP job can run the quarter mile just like the 300 HP job.. But not nearly as fast.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, decent speakers need clean power to get the best out of them. Don't know what you have to drive them, but if it's OEM, I wouldn't expect much difference.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)