cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 GMC Sierra Towing

Bevo10
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice on towing with a 2018 GMC Sierra with a 2" leveling kit. I have plenty of power towing but having a hard time getting it to ride correctly. Seems as though no matter what I adjust my front end seems a bit light. I have tried going from the fourth to the fifth link one my weight distribution bars and that doesn't help at all.
I had the ball and trailer measured for correct height etc. and all checks out. Any advice of what I could do different?
23 REPLIES 23

Bevo10
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor, Camper is not a priority since it is only used a few times a year. Just looking for some advice.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
So you have a truck with a modified suspension and a poor choice in tires, then you take it to a dealer without a clue, and now it doesn't act right? Might be better to start at square one and make better decisions on these three variables.

Bevo10
Explorer
Explorer
Not to sound stupid but payload is weight in the vehicle correct? If that's the case the only thing in the vehicle would be two people at 350lbs total. No cargo.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œGCWR is 12,500 and I have a travel trailer that is 4,338โ€. And your TV payload is?

โ€œThey were focused on the height of the ball and the tongue of the trailer.โ€ Thatโ€™s part of leveling. Good for them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bevo10
Explorer
Explorer
The leveling kit was dealer installed and the tread pattern on the tires is pretty aggressive so I was thinking the same thing. I took it to a camper dealer today and there shop measured but I am not sure they measured wheel well heights. They were focused on the height of the ball and the tongue of the trailer.
I also preload the weight distribution bars and lift the back end up quit a bit before hooking the bars up. Tried the fourth and fifth link. Fourth link feels better than the fifth but it still just doesn't feel right. Seems to be bit light around 50mp and gets better at 55 but just doesn't feel right and you know that is no fun not feeling solid going down the road.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Did you level it to fit bigger tires? Taller sidewalls and deep tread patterns of AT type tires can cause a bit of squirm which may feel like the front end is loose.

Have you weighed or measured the wheel well heights unhooked and hooked to see if youโ€™re transferring enough weight?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Bevo10
Explorer
Explorer
GCWR is 12,500 and I have a travel trailer that is 4,338

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI have plenty of power towing...

Power is only one of the components of towing and not as important as others. Answer romoreโ€™s questions and what is your TVโ€™s payload?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome aboard! What is the GCWR rating on the truck door sticker and what are you towing? It may be as simple as reloading the trailer to shift weight.