cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black mold

drk351
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 2004 BT Cruiser RV. It has black mold around the skylight in the bathroom and around the air conditioner on the roof. This mold is on the inside of the RV on the ceiling. There is also some black mold on the bathroom floor from the skylight leak. Is there any way to get rid of the black and still save the ceiling material? Or would the ceiling have to be ripped out and replaced? I know there are many of you who are more experienced and knowledge about such things. I know it's an older RV but it is in my budget. I usually do my own repairs and I do not want to get into more than I can handle. I'm not good at typing, so thank you to everyone who gives me any suggestions or advice on this matter.
11 REPLIES 11

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
If the seller couldn't even be bothered to wipe up something that obvious and undesirable, what else have they not maintained?

I was thinking the same thing.

I always do my best not to deceive the buyer when I'm selling something, but at least bust out the Lysol/409 and clean up the visible flaws.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Time to move on.

It would have to be really super cheap & you are prepared for some repair time/money..
Black mold is bad.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
as others have suggested "run Forest run"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If the seller couldn't even be bothered to wipe up something that obvious and undesirable, what else have they not maintained?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I too would move on. I think you will be buying a problem otherwise. Without even considering the mold issue (which would be enough for me to move on), there could be significant water intrusion elsewhere that you aren't seeing. When water starts leaking, it can make its way to many areas not directly associated with the leak.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Move on. If it has visible mold in so many areas, it has mold everywhere you can't see including the HVAC. Proper mold remediation is a hazmat job and involves either encapsulating the mold or treating every surface to try and kill the root (which typically doesn't work).
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would be more concerned about the mold you can't see.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get up on the roof and feel around both those areas. Spongy? Lots of damage. You really have to know your stuff when it comes to remedying mold and mildew.

As one who has torn RVs to the bones and rebuilt them, I can assure you that whatever you see on the surface is ten times worse inside where you cannot see.

Ya gotta know when to hold and gotta know when to fold.
I would fold.

Wander through my website, link in sig, and get an idea of what could lurk behind the mold.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would keep searching.
Good luck.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Time to move on.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL