cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace bugs

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I just had to pay yet again to have my MH furnace revived after several years of spending winters in warm places. :B

Last time around the tech showed me a bunch of mostly-incinerated tiny bugs in the orifice, and this time the tech showed me a few tiny bugs, enough to cause a weak flame rather than the roaring afterburner it should be.

What are these things, and it there any way to keep them out? Thanks!
-jbh-
5 REPLIES 5

dedmiston
johnhicks wrote:
These things are gnat-sized. Spider mites appears likely. This spring I'll turn off the manual valve in the furnace and maybe they won't be interested. Thanks!

Maybe purge the line too. Turn off the LP valve at the tank before you switch off the furnace and/or run a stove burner.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
These things are gnat-sized. Spider mites appears likely. This spring I'll turn off the manual valve in the furnace and maybe they won't be interested. Thanks!
-jbh-

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Tiny tiny bugs are usually spider mites. They are small enough to clog orifices and are attracted to the smell of propane.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regardless of local important to maintain furnace or any appliance. Just like exercising generator run furnace from time to time, blow out air input and output tubes. Drain and flush wh every now and then. Best way to assure they work when you need them is to run them when you donโ€™t.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
How small? I've got the screens made by Camco for my furnace, water heater, and fridge but they're mostly designed for mud daubers and similar, the screen mesh is sized so it would block lady bugs but not much smaller than that.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH