Explorer
pros and cons to happy camper black tank additve
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member
14 REPLIES 14

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that if you drive a hundred miles or so and then flush the tank. I see very few solids passing through.

Now I do add Dawn to the tank and Calgon if I can find it after a dump & the toilet does use a fair amount of the fresh water each flush. Plus the bathroom sink drains into the black tank.

Works for me.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Pro: Makes you feel like you are doing something.

Cons: It costs money and doesn't accomplish anything.

Just use plenty of water and the tank will be fine. It's a holding tank not a digester and there are plenty of microbes in your natural deposits to digest the poo anyway.

This. At the end of the season I do pour a few cups of laundry detergent in tank, fill it half way with water, drive a couple hundred KMs & then dump. That really cleans the tank & ensures that there is no poop build up.

I've tried at least a dozen different brands & none using beats lots of plain old water.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Water!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went thru one container of Happy Camper and it didn't make me any happier, just removed a little weight from my purse. Now just use some Calgon Liquid Water Softener, some Dollar Store Pine Sol and water.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IN my 12 years full time I sometimes used digester products if I was goign to be a long time between dumps. but frankly I do not think they helped

Just flush well when you dump. and do not overflow.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of water and a short drive works every time.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
pushtoy 2 wrote:
pros and cons to happy camper black tank additve

been using it for years and like it very much. tried the "just use lots of water" method for a while but switched back to treatment after a few dumps.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tried some high tech stuff from Amazon. $30 a quart. Used it up and shazam! Saw no difference. Thought about septic tank pellets. But the best is plenty of water and and occasional flush by sticking the hose with a high pressure lawn nozzle down the toilet for five minutes. We have a tank flusher and use that sometimes, not sure how much good it does.

At the dump station here at Gros Ventre the women ahead of use at the dump station was trying to hold the flush hose at the dump station up to the flush connection on her tank. Spraying water everywhere. Turns out that hubby, who most likely does the deed normally, had to fly off for a time leaving her behind.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:
The only time I tried anything like that was when we first got our current 5er. The first time we went to dump the tanks, there was a build up in the pipe. We were not going back out for several weeks so I got a box of RidX, and put plenty of warm water down the toilet then added the RidX and parked at the storage yard for about three weeks, when we dumped when we went out the next time I saw a lot of crud go down the drain. We don't use any treatment now just lots of water.

Water at any temp and 3 weeks will break a lot of the solids down.

The reason people pass gas is because those microbes are already present and enjoying a good feed while in your gut. In the holding tank, they will continue to feed and multiply breaking down the solids.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you must do something start with some automatic dish washer soap.

They are holding tanks, not septic tanks.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Just use plenty of water and the tank will be fine. It's a holding tank not a digester and there are plenty of microbes in your natural deposits to digest the poo anyway.

X3
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only time I tried anything like that was when we first got our current 5er. The first time we went to dump the tanks, there was a build up in the pipe. We were not going back out for several weeks so I got a box of RidX, and put plenty of warm water down the toilet then added the RidX and parked at the storage yard for about three weeks, when we dumped when we went out the next time I saw a lot of crud go down the drain. We don't use any treatment now just lots of water.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:

X2
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV