Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable vs Roller/Rail slideouts

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer

1) Which of these systems is the most dependable? ie, Which is more likely to fail first given the same amount of usage?

2) Is either easier for the owner to fix than the other?

3) Are repairs on one more expensive than the other?

We're looking to upgrade soon and this isn't an issue we've ever thought much about. I'm sure each will give good service, but if one has the edge over the other, I'd like to know before purchasing.
TIA!
14 REPLIES 14

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:

1) Which of these systems is the most dependable? ie, Which is more likely to fail first given the same amount of usage?

2) Is either easier for the owner to fix than the other?

3) Are repairs on one more expensive than the other?

We're looking to upgrade soon and this isn't an issue we've ever thought much about. I'm sure each will give good service, but if one has the edge over the other, I'd like to know before purchasing.
TIA!

I like the LIFTCO system that is on my Alumalite. It is a full floating exterior supported system integral to the wall of the trailer.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
usually frayed cables are from cable alinement issues.
Jay D.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one cable type in the BR; already has one frayed cable. Hydraulics in the BR, DR, and kitchen; no trouble (other than a leak in a hydraulic line near the reservoir), and two Swintek LR slides; one of four motors is acting up.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Accuslide and its been trouble free. i did replace one cable, its a simple job and adjusting is easy when you learn how the system works. the motor if it needs replaced is easy to get to for a simple change.
Jay D.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My previous camper, Outback 298RE (same as ktmrfs, except it had the bedroom slide closet) had both. The closet slide had the cable driven, the living room slides were the roller gear on a track type. We had the camper 5 years and never had any problems or issues with either type. Not a single issue with either.

I was very anal though with one step in setting up camp. Before any slides were extended, the camper was always level and the stabilizer jacks were down. And jacks stayed down until the slides were retracted. I never, never deviated from this process.

Those times we stopped for an over night and did not unhitch, I still put the stabilizer jacks down and leveled as accurately as possible. End results, my slides (both types) worked great and I NEVER touched anything or did anything to adjust or change anything on them. Factory installed worked just fine for 5 years until we traded for our current camper.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer has the electric roller slides. Two of them, one a long "superslide". After 8 years of use, almost 40K miles on the trailer, Probably pushing 1000 extension/retractions and using it 90+ days/year the slides have never ever given us any issues. Always easy peasy work as they should.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Great information folks! Thanks for the replies!
I should have said we are looking at TTs.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Cable slides are awful. We had one and it got out of alignment and the huge RV dealer Guaranty RV in Junction City Oregon could not fix it. They used to only be in cheap trailers. I donโ€™t think anyone else is using them in todayโ€™s market.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I prefer electric, Fewer components, but electric can have motor and gearbox issues.
Hydraulic involves several components that can be problematic (pump, valves, lines, rams).
Least favorite is cable. Cable has motor and cable issues, but biggest issue is the cables themselves= they are a major pain to adjust, and they do need adjustment as cables stretch, whereas hydraulic and electric don't require much readjustment.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Cable slide are way more trouble prone. Hydraulic is the best, electric is next, cable far third.
Cables tend to stretch, get out of alignment.
X2

Many factors determine what type is used and where. Mine: BR cabinets cable, BR bed electric, kitchen heavy hydraulic, dining heavy drop down hydraulic.

Quality of the build and equipment is the most important consideration.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if you look at the past few years, a while back seems everyone was using the Schwintek slide system, but now some of the top brands, like DRV have switch to the BAL Accuslide cable system.
Have good friends who got their unit a year after ours and have had several motors changed in their Schwintek slides. Ours has the BAL Accurslide and no issues in 3 1/2 years of almost full time use.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Cable slide are way more trouble prone. Hydraulic is the best, electric is next, cable far third.
Cables tend to stretch, get out of alignment.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
1. Either will give you thousands of cycles with proper maintenance.
2. Not in my opinion.
3. IDK.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion the bal cable slide is the better one.