cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clear coat on Class A

jmac
Explorer
Explorer
Clear coat on my 2003 is 'peeling' in different areas, top front cap,bay doors, other areas, going to body shop soon. Any advice, fix areas or redo entire coach?? Any experience with this type of body work, chances of it doing it again and kind of $$$$ that might be required??????

Jerry & Judy McDonald

MOLLY (THE BASENJI) Now R.I.P

Verizon cell & broadband

2003 DP Escaper 3979/330 cat MH
PT
http://jerryjudytravels.blogspot.com

19 REPLIES 19

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where I see it usually fail is on the areas that get full sun compounded by curvature, like on the caps where they transition from horizontal to vertical.

I think itโ€™s called parabolic refraction.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Correct prep and the use of quality products is the answer. and there are over a million auto body shops that spray clear coat every day with no problems. if it didn't work they wouldn't be in business.
Jay D.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Clear coat failure on cars was typically a problem until computer controlled applications were the norm. Motor home manufacturers usually do manual application of clear coat, which is inadequate. It is the irregular thickness of the clear coat that is the problem, when UV exposure will win.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
If clear is applied over paint, it will stick.

If clear is applied over gel coat, it will eventually peel..period

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
My clear coat is failing much like yours, mostly at the top edge of the side walls where it meets the roof.

I'm not impressed with the "meth" addicts that they used to spray the original clear coat on my MH at the factory. Apparently inadequate thickness and quality control during application is the problem.

I had an RV shop near me do some body work after I was run into by contractor's truck in my driveway. They did amazing repair work and found the last (used) replacement tail light for my MH in America.

I asked the shop to estimate repair of the clear coat failure at the roof edges. He said that he estimated fixing a similar failure on another MH at $4,500. He said that his actual cost was $8,500. He paused and then said. . . guess what I'm going to charge you? He then looked me in the eye and said: It's only a motor home you know. He convinced me to live with it.

I wouldn't be to hard on the METH HEADS. the factory as typical probably used the cheapest low grade clear coat they could find. there for very little uv protection uvs is most of what's causing your problem.
Jay D.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Clear coat over gel coat...the only to really fix the problem is to remove all the gel coat, paint the coach and then reapply the clear. I have an estimate for $29K for a 40ft coach. That estimate was for removing everything from lights, door handles, trim, etc.

You can treat the areas but the clear will continue to peel

Some people are using ZEP to coat the coach, might read some old threads about it

Just need to remove the clear coat and re shoot.
Not sure how you would remove the gel coat or think that would be a good idea.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
My clear coat is failing much like yours, mostly at the top edge of the side walls where it meets the roof.

I'm not impressed with the "meth" addicts that they used to spray the original clear coat on my MH at the factory. Apparently inadequate thickness and quality control during application is the problem.

I had an RV shop near me do some body work after I was run into by contractor's truck in my driveway. They did amazing repair work and found the last (used) replacement tail light for my MH in America.

I asked the shop to estimate repair of the clear coat failure at the roof edges. He said that he estimated fixing a similar failure on another MH at $4,500. He said that his actual cost was $8,500. He paused and then said. . . guess what I'm going to charge you? He then looked me in the eye and said: It's only a motor home you know. He convinced me to live with it.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jmac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all replies, 18 years on this Forum and never fail to get
great advice, I hope to be on here another 18 years, but not likely;-)
Will try to update all when I make a decision.

Jerry & Judy McDonald

MOLLY (THE BASENJI) Now R.I.P

Verizon cell & broadband

2003 DP Escaper 3979/330 cat MH
PT
http://jerryjudytravels.blogspot.com

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
bingo, I've been in the auto painting and restoration business for almost 50 years, you gota remove all the clear. if you want to take a real chance, you could maybe leave some on the lower sides were the uv rays weren't so bad. BUT you'll never get a shop worth anything to do. it its just to chancy for them to put there name on it.
Jay D.

Even the painters in Mexico will not sand down and apply clear. They will tell you that it won't hold up.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I had moderate success repairing areas on my van where the clear coat failed. The hood and upper rear quarters. I did minor prep work, cleaning, wet sanding, then sprayed with some 2k clearcoat in an aerosol can. Hood was the best, cause I could do the whole panel. Quarters were tougher, I used a natural body line for the cut in, and did a tape edge instead of trying to feather and blend. it looks decent, but obviously not pro level.

All in all I'm happy with it. But it's a 20 year old van that I am not going to be spending $$ on repainting. And it was only a year ago, so I cannot comment on it's longevity, other than it will last at least a year lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
bingo, I've been in the auto painting and restoration business for almost 50 years, you gota remove all the clear. if you want to take a real chance, you could maybe leave some on the lower sides were the uv rays weren't so bad. BUT you'll never get a shop worth anything to do. it its just to chancy for them to put there name on it.
Jay D.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
Clear coat over gel coat...the only to really fix the problem is to remove all the gel coat, paint the coach and then reapply the clear. I have an estimate for $29K for a 40ft coach. That estimate was for removing everything from lights, door handles, trim, etc.

You can treat the areas but the clear will continue to peel

Some people are using ZEP to coat the coach, might read some old threads about it

i don't think you want to remove the gel coat. thats part of the fiberglass material, if removed you'll expose the glass in the fiberglass then you'll have a real problem. now the degrading clear needs to be removed.
Jay D.

This is what I get from late night posting. You are correct, you cannot remove the gel coat. What Ii meant to say is you have to remove all the clear coat.

I have tried the "patch" method where you only re-clear the affected area, What happens is that the clear will begin to peel at the edge of the repaired area. It just keeps going. The only way to repair clear is to remove it all, paint the coach and then apply clear over the fresh paint.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Any good body shop will be able to re-clear coat your rv.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I canโ€™t see your pic very well but I think you have full body paint over Fiberglas.

The paint is probably fine, minus any bubbles here and there.

A decent body shop should be able to lightly sand or buff (cut) the failing clear coat off and blend in some new. Worst case reshoot all the clear.

Depends some if you plan on keeping it or will be selling.

As previously mentioned, a full repaint can be pricey.

Iโ€™d get some quotes.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.