cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Combination weight rating

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to the forum and this is my first post but have reviewed the advice here on setting the vehicle up for towing. I have a 2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel and 2018 Cruiser Shadow. Following the advice here I measured the height to the wheel well fenders front and back on the truck and hitch height. They are all within 1" before and after hooking the trailer up. My question is on the weights. I took the unit to the local scale and here are the results:

Front axle: 4460 Lbs, GAWR: 5990 Lbs.
Rear axle: 4280 Lbs. GAWR: 6340 Lbs.
Trailer axle: 5600 Lbs.

Gross weight: 14,340 Lbs. GVWR: 10,000 Lbs.

My questions are, should the front axle weigh more than the rear axle and how does the 10,000 lb. GVWR fit this equation when the truck weighs more than that with no trailer?

Thanks for any responses.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your confusing things.
First 3-4 tons now, in the last couple years, can and do have some models >10k gvw. Ford is up to 10,600 rating on some F250s.

And the "commercial" classification has nothing to do with whether you can register a bigger truck non commercial in your state. In fact most states are like that. Cali is the one big exception to that rule. Maybe a couple other states.
What doesn't change state to state is what the fed DOT has for regulations, which, to paraphrase, any vehicle with over 10k gvw combo with trailer over < 10k, up to 26klb single vehicle doesn't require. CDL but requires commercial uses (companies) to maintian greater driver documentation. Driver files, etc.

10k and under single wheel gvw vehicles, i.e. How most 3/4 tons are rated (actually de-rated) do not require companies to follow these DOT regulations.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

264SRinPA
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
Your truck likely has the 10k GVW package. This is a sticker weight derating meant for those that use the vehicle for business use.10k is the defining line for the definition of commercial vehicle.

All F250's have a GVWR of 10k they are not derated. And not every state is commercial over 10k. My F350 is 11.5k, not commercial. An F450 is 14k, not commercial. For that matter, I can have a class 8 Kenworth and register non commercial as long as it's for private use and not used to make money.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck likely has the 10k GVW package. This is a sticker weight derating meant for those that use the vehicle for business use.10k is the defining line for the definition of commercial vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Taxman2436 wrote:
I am new to the forum and this is my first post but have reviewed the advice here on setting the vehicle up for towing. I have a 2019 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel and 2018 Cruiser Shadow. Following the advice here I measured the height to the wheel well fenders front and back on the truck and hitch height. They are all within 1" before and after hooking the trailer up. My question is on the weights. I took the unit to the local scale and here are the results:

Front axle: 4460 Lbs, GAWR: 5990 Lbs.
Rear axle: 4280 Lbs. GAWR: 6340 Lbs.
Trailer axle: 5600 Lbs.

Gross weight: 14,340 Lbs. GVWR: 10,000 Lbs.

My questions are, should the front axle weigh more than the rear axle and how does the 10,000 lb. GVWR fit this equation when the truck weighs more than that with no trailer?

Thanks for any responses.

These scale weights are with your trailer hooked up (wdh or not) as the empty rear axle weight on the truck is 3000-3500lbs. Front is 4500-5000lbs, empty.

Bare truck does not weigh more than the 10k gvwr and yes the low gvwr of 10klbs is purposefully assigned to most class 2 trucks for.....tax purposes (registration restrictions and DOT regulations).

Your GCWR (truck and trailer) is around 20klbs, actual rear axle rating is idk, 9klbs plus with the F250 rear axle, rear tires/rims are around 7200lbs safely and you're nowhere near exceeding ANY "ratings" with that light of a trailer. Motor on in confidence.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boomerweps wrote:
Front axle has the higher weight rating and is carrying the weight of the diesel.

Nope, front axles aren't rated near as high as rear axles. Yes front carries the cab and engine, so sees more load than the rear, when empty.
Rear axle and springs rated higher for the capacity to load the bed.

Taxman2436
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses. I now realize I was confusing gross vehicle weight rating with gross combination rating. And of course you nailed it, the gross combination wight rating is over 20,000 Lbs.
Taxman2436
Sturbridge, MA
2022 Ford F350 6.7L Diesel
2023 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
X2, Valhalla.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
There must be some incorrect/missing info in your post as your second question doesn't make sense.

However your front axle rating you will probably never hit as it is just too hard to get that much weight on the front axle. Adding a plow or something like that will get you up there but beyond that you would have a very hard time reaching the front max axle weight.

Rear axle you can certainly hit that with a fifth wheel/gooseneck or heavy load in the bed or wuth a bumper pull trailer if it is really big or you load the heck out of the bed in addition to the trailer.

As far as the truck weighing more than the 10k gvw empty it doesn't. Your scale numbers show that. The axle weight ratings are usually going to be more than the GCW of the truck. Otherwise your load capacity would be very little and or skewed to either the front or the rear. If you cut back the front axle weight rating then you cant put a plow on which while you may not, others do. If you lower the rear axle rating then you have very little load capacity for loads in the bed or towing.

If you went to the scale with the trailer hitched up
front axle= 4460
rear axle= 4280
total gvw= 8740

your vehicle GVWR is 10,000 so good to go, well under the 10k rating as well as both the axle ratings

Your gross combined weight is the 14340 which is surely well below the vehicle GCWR which is probably somewhere up around 20k+

If those scale numbers are without the trailer then you will be hosed on payload capacity as you only have 1260 lbs of available payload left (10000-8740), which seems pretty low for an f250. That leaves 1260 lbs for passengers, other gear, tongue weight of the trailer (lets say 15% of a 6000lb trailer is 900lbs leaving 360 pounds for passengers and other stuff.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Front axle has the higher weight rating and is carrying the weight of the diesel. Your GVWR for some reason is far less than I would expect for your combined axle ratings, usually a a little less than those combined. You have not mentioned your GCWR, which equals your GVWR (10,000#) plus your truck tow rating. If all your axle readings (steer, drive, trailer) are under your GCWR and none of the axles are over their individual ratings, you are within factory tolerances.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Missing some info but assuming a not too large bumper pull...not unusual.

That diesel engine weighs a lot.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV