cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cummins Onan P2500I Inverter Portable Generator

I may have been under a rock, but do not remember seeing anything about this??

I just saw that Cummins/Onan now has a small, portable Generator to compete with the Red, Blue and yellows...

Onan Portable inverter

Here is the Cummins site - Cummins Onan

Here is the spec sheet- brochure
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
25 REPLIES 25

dedmiston
Ron3rd wrote:
What you see a lot of in So Cal with the kids who boondock out in the dessert is the 4500 watt $299 Home Depot special. They're blasting loud music all day so it really doesn't matter. No private campground around here will allow those. Unfortunately the States campgrounds don't care and you'll run into those from time to time.

Kids? Wow. Generalize much?

Anyway, I get what you're saying about the different levels of quality and functionality. Message received.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Braces wrote:
My 8 yr old Honda 2000 Will run my 15,000 AC with MicroAire Easy Start.

Thats something I have never heard ,the 2000 running a 15 AC , I know the easy starts help, but never read where a Honda 2000 would handle it .

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
If you want something cheaper than Honda and Yamaha just buy a Champion. They're proven have parts available and good support.

Do they make a quiet unit? All the Champions I've camped near are the loud contractor units.

Yes they make loud contractors generators. Many campgrounds don't even allow those as they're basically as loud as a lawnmower.

We're talking about inverter generators here. Huge difference in sound level and price.

Good to know.

90% of my camping is boondocking and I've never seen a quiet Champion gen before. If you're in our group and you have a Champion, you have to park on the outer outer outer ring so we won't have to listen to you.

They don't have an inverter type Champion then which costs several times as much. Champion inverter generators are in the same league as Honda and Yamaha in terms of sound. My daughter found a Champion 3400 watt inverter generator with remote electric start online a couple years ago for $999 with no tax and free shipping. It's a very nice generator but too heavy for my 63 year old back to lift. I putt along with my 16 year old Honda EU2000 that does everything I need.

What you see a lot of in So Cal with the kids who boondock out in the dessert is the 4500 watt $299 Home Depot special. They're blasting loud music all day so it really doesn't matter. No private campground around here will allow those. Unfortunately the States campgrounds don't care and you'll run into those from time to time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
My 8 yr old Honda 2000 Will run my 15,000 AC with MicroAire Easy Start.

dedmiston
Ron3rd wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
If you want something cheaper than Honda and Yamaha just buy a Champion. They're proven have parts available and good support.

Do they make a quiet unit? All the Champions I've camped near are the loud contractor units.

Yes they make loud contractors generators. Many campgrounds don't even allow those as they're basically as loud as a lawnmower.

We're talking about inverter generators here. Huge difference in sound level and price.

Good to know.

90% of my camping is boondocking and I've never seen a quiet Champion gen before. If you're in our group and you have a Champion, you have to park on the outer outer outer ring so we won't have to listen to you.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Champion has been making quiet inverter generators for years. They also listen to RVers and have made changes to fit RVers needs. Like a 30 amp RV outlet on their generators. They also make the biggest variety of inverter generators of any company.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BeerBrewer wrote:
So will any of these mentioned run a 15K BTU AC unit?

I would like a generator that could run my AC unit if needed. I just can't lift the 3000/3500's generators.

Nope, not really or likely not at all.
Soft start, converter unplugged and port n polished Honda 2200 with a pipe running race gas might!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
Ron3rd wrote:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
So will any of these mentioned run a 15K BTU AC unit?

I would like a generator that could run my AC unit if needed. I just can't lift the 3000/3500's generators.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The green one sold at Home Depot has been great for me and a friend bought one before me and loves it and uses it more than me. he never changes oil and it still runs for him.

Mine is 2200 watt inv gen, so will run a 9200btu roof AC, but not the 13500 unit.
It seems like gens are mostly needed for ACs, as many RVers will use 12 volt devices for the camping life, and have battery and solar to make that work.

Cheap china ones... meh. But a lot of things are made in china (let's take a moment to laugh at the communist dictator that just made this all start to change), though to different standards being the big difference.
If you are not a full timer or do not use the generator that much, then almost any of these will work if they are of adequate wattage for your use.
If you plan to use it A LOT, then do spring for a good one. Honda being the favorite of many.

GreysonY
Explorer
Explorer
I found that the 1500 watt inverter was more than enough to handle just about anything you would want to have. Just remember, if you are trying to use multiple appliances at the same time, that depending on what you are trying to do, may not work out. As for the refrigerator, that is on a separate circuit from the inverter, so that will not take away from the overall wattage you have available.

Now you can request a larger inverter to be installed that you can provide (unless the policy has been changed since I left Prime).

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Don't get fooled ! I highly doubt it was "Designed and Engineered in Indianapolis, In. by Cummins/Onan."

It is a Westinghouse iGen2500 with different color plastic and labels and slightly different controls. The iGen2500 sells for $599 at HomeDepot.

Probably just the case is Onan design-enginered