cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cutitng Fiberglass

Fire19
Explorer
Explorer
I am ready to install a larger Hot Water heater in my 5th Wheel I have to open the hole in the Fiberglass by 4" on top and 4" on one side. What is the best way to cut the fiberglass without it chipping and cracking. This is on a 2002 Gulfstream Seahawk. Thanks
2000 Ford F-350 Dually Crew Cab
2002 Gulfstream Seahawk 29FKS
1998 GL1500SE
12 REPLIES 12

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
When you're done, take a cool shower, (a hot one will open pores and drive the fiberglass dust into your skin)

I wish I had known that before!

I use the pizza cutter also. Never heard it called that but I like it!
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to want a good dust mask, googles, and a disposable tyvek suit. When you're done, take a cool shower, (a hot one will open pores and drive the fiberglass dust into your skin), cutting fiberglass is a nasty itchy task. I replaced a transom on a boat and pretty much used every power and hand cutting device known to mankind. The die grinder with disk was the best ( other guy called it a pizza cutter).
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the oscillating cutter, go through that like butter. At the factory it would have been a router with carbide bit.
-- Chris Bryant

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Abrasive grit blade in a reciprocating saw
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to build fiberglass sail boats in WA state. One of the best tools is an air powered pizza cutter. A little round saw with 3 inch blade.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
As already mentioned, an oscillating cutter. I used a cheap one from Harbor Freight to cut a fiberglass cover I made for an airpack (for work).

Link to the oscillating cutter: https://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-oscillating-multi-tool-63113.html

The tool itself works great, but I would suggest upgrading the blades if you plan on using it for more than a job or two. Here are the blades I'm now using: https://amzn.to/2DNsbge
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
Dremel either an abrasive fiber cut off wheel or a dremel mighty max with the 1/2 round cutoff blade. I would test first on a line inside where your final cut will be for practice and get some experience.

Larry

Agree. Something without teeth would be best.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Dremel either an abrasive fiber cut off wheel or a dremel mighty max with the 1/2 round cutoff blade. I would test first on a line inside where your final cut will be for practice and get some experience.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Cut so blade teeth are going down thru gel coat side of material..scroll saw teeth will pull up thu material and chip gel coat. Put masking tape on gel coat side and cut with fine tooth saw pushing. Don't drag on the backstroke. Drill starter hole inboard of cut line if needed..
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Oscillating saw, pick one up at Harbor Freight cheap.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Run some painters tape then cut through it. I will help reduce the possibility of chipping.

Got clearance? No frame or any thing in way?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Use carbide blades on a scrollsaw unit, cut a bit smaller and then use a file to finish the cut, go slow and let the blade do the work if you push too hard you will chip the edges, going slow makes a cut that needs very little dressing.

navegator