cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CW $59 install (read the fine print)

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing (!) is installed for $59. Read the fine print (we're talking very fine here) and it says they will also add a "shop supplies" fee that is 10% of the original labor amount (not the $59) to the work order.

So my advertised $59 went to a little over $81. While still not a bad deal it's just aggravating they advertise the $59 when nothing will be installed for that price.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
34 REPLIES 34

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Is Maaco's "paint only" language in its famous cheapo paint job ad also deceptive? It means what it says, ya know- they won't even wipe the dust off yer car before spraying unless you pay them "extra" to do so.

I remember Maaco advertising $29.95 in the 1950s. People would come into my Dad's shop trying to negotiate a paint job for $50-100 because Maaco would do it for $30. We couldn't buy the paint for $50 and at $5 an hour shop rate, could not do the job right with only $100 worth of labor. So the answer was: "take it to Maaco."

We did clean up a few $30 paint jobs afterwards. In the mid 1950s that cost $300 to $500 labor, usually more than it would have taken to do the job right from the start.

In 1965 my brother and I bought a rusted out black 55 Olds for $50, to use at Michigan State. We put about 200 hours labor into that car over the summer patching and painting it an appropriate green and white. It looked good until we both finished school, then it went to a third brother who drove it three more years until he got drafted.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Rollnhome wrote:
I know of no instance that I have been handed the fine print after signing a service contract. If that happened to me I would refuse to pay. All the terms are in the 4 corners of the contract. If it is not stated or referenced in the contract is is not a part of the contract.

There's no "contract". The person walks into the store and says "I want to take advantage of the $59 install" The work is done and then the person is surprised with a bunch of added nonsense.

Have never seen a car or RV going in a shop for work without a libality release and estimate of repairs an d costs. To let that happen is a huge consumers mistake
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Day wrote:
There should never be any fine print in any contract. All text should be large enough to be clearly legible.

I agree but CW is complying with the law as to font and type size. Believe me I am not defending CW/GS. I am saying read everything and know what you are getting into before you sign. Trust no ones word. Remember the CEO of CW/GS sales training and business foundation is in the new and used car sales.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
LOL it keeps the makers of that 4 pt type in business though ๐Ÿ™‚ It has only one practical use and you found it.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Raymon wrote:
If everyone boycotted CW for just one full week, the lack of cash flow just might make Mr. Lemois rethink his creative marketing practices. As for me and my house, we most likely will never give CW any of our business.

Ray

Does that include their affiliated FREE internet discussion forum?

As for the advertised $59 install, the devil is in the details. I've seen these type ads on many "deals" that when you get the whole picture isn't as much of a deal.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Also, even IF (BIG IF) there was a contract the details are left open ended. The usual service agreement stipulates there will be a fee for shop items - they don't tell you exactly what it will be ahead of time. That fee is often 10~15% in the rest of the repair industry and that's what we expect - and Marcus knows this! It's plain sneaky.
People are getting stuck with a 50+% fee for items that weren't even used sometimes.

This is a common methodology Marcus uses. Get people to buy and then sneak in added charges. We see it all the time here.

Mike_Day
Explorer
Explorer
There should never be any fine print in any contract. All text should be large enough to be clearly legible.
Of course I talk to myself!

Sometimes I need expert advice.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Rollnhome wrote:
I know of no instance that I have been handed the fine print after signing a service contract. If that happened to me I would refuse to pay. All the terms are in the 4 corners of the contract. If it is not stated or referenced in the contract is is not a part of the contract.

There's no "contract". The person walks into the store and says "I want to take advantage of the $59 install" The work is done and then the person is surprised with a bunch of added nonsense.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Rollnhome wrote:
It is hypocritical to enter into an agreement when you have not read or do not understand fully the terms of the agreement then whine about being cheated or screwed.

You really need to look up the definition of "Hypocrite".

Noun: : A person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs.

The people who get scammed by this business model are not shown any small print beforehand. They get it after the work is done. How is that being "informed".

This is America, people have every right to feel cheated and write about it here. I suggest if you don't like it to go someplace else.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
If you have not learned to read the fine print in any add or contract; don't blame the person that wrote the contract. It is the consumers responsibility to read the entire add or contract, then make a decision. Do I like it having to been so cautious when dealing with a business? No. I believe they should be more forthright. They do however notify you ( even though it may be in the fine print). It is up to you to read and understand the entire document then agree or move on. There is nothing hypocritical about making an informed decision. It is hypocritical to enter into an agreement, when you have not read or do not understand fully the terms of the agreement, then whine about being cheated or screwed. Like I said, read the terms....if you don't like the terms move on. That is only common business practice. I have read CW terms and conditions and have chosen not to do business with them. I see no hypocrisy in that. I would be ignorant to do other wise.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rollnhome wrote:
If you don't like it, move on and don't shop there. Very simple.

This a forum to share experiences and comment on RV related transactions.

I could say if you don't like a comment, ignore it and move on but that would make me a hypocrite so I won't.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just be happy that the work was done right the first time.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Is Maaco's "paint only" language in its famous cheapo paint job ad also deceptive? It means what it says, ya know- they won't even wipe the dust off yer car before spraying unless you pay them "extra" to do so.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
It's deceptive because they're luring you in and then hitting you with the fine print. It wouldn't be deceptive if the add just said $89.00 installation, which is the true price.

It's just like the add that tells you it's free, just buy five more.....well, than it's not free, is it.

My favorite are al the TV ad's. We'll double the offer for free!!!! Just pay additional processing and handling....guess what, the process and handling covers the cost and profit of the first and second product. I always like to call and tell them I just want one.....it messes them up.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab