cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer can't fix slide out and warranty running out! HELP

chrisdd23k
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new 2018 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS Travel Trailer with a large slide out. We had issues with it and twice had it repaired under warranty. The second time they replaced a bend part and when I took it home I noticed the slide out didn't sit flush against the trailer. At the top it was flush, on the lower right side it was out 1/2 inch and on the lower left side it was out of alignment a full 1 inch. I took it back to the dealer he said they would take a look at it. When we first spoke the dealership said anything out of alignment more than 1/2 inch should be adjusted. Since it is out of alignment 1 inch I thought they should fix it. Now it sounds like they feel 1 in out of alignment is acceptable. Since my warranty ends in August 2018 I want to make sure its right. The dealer reassured me that if it is still a problem after the warranty expires they will still fix it because it is an ongoing problem. What should I do? Should I hold my ground and fight to have them fix it? Is 1 inch out of alignment not a big deal? Do I trust they will fix it after warranty period? Any advice?

UPDATE: Dealer said my camper was ready, but when I went to pick it up is was still out of alignment an 1". How do I get Coachman involved to get this fixed right before warranty runs out? They have had it since September 4, 2017.
25 REPLIES 25

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
chrisdd23k wrote:
We purchased a new 2018 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS Travel Trailer with a large slide out. How do I get Coachman involved to get this fixed right before warranty runs out? They have had it since September 4, 2017.

Forest River Freedom Express
Steve Brandenberger
Service Representative
+1 574-825-8205
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I love how everyone quotes the Magnusson Moss. I guarantee that none of those quoting it have ever read it. It would absolutely have nothing to do with this. It basically says that a manufacture cannot deny a warranty claim for using a non OEM part such as an oil filter as long as the part used meets the OEM specs. The manufacturers started trying to deny claims back in the 70s and that was why the law was passed.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I've had great luck in contacting my manufacturer directly. The dealer turned out to be a dud but the factory was great.

For mine, they actually sent a driver to pick up the rig and delivered it back to me. The driver who picked it up loved it- they're usually empty and not getting paid for the return trip. On this one, he got paid!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Take a trip to the manufacturer and have them fix it right. I know it is quite a distance from where you live but with a new RV, I wouldn't trust the dealership at this point.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think the title of your posts holds the answer; The dealer can't fix the s/o.
He doesn't know how to fix it so you really need to find another dealer or independent that does.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I Did when I had somen issues with my RV when it was under warranty. NOTE the Issues were different.

I called the factory.. Well I was scheduled to attend an event about 30 miles from the warranty repair plant so I attended Then 30 miles later.. they fixed it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
lillyputz wrote:
minnow wrote:
Lemon laws generally do not apply to towable RV's.

Magnusson Moss warranty act applies to all RVs. It's a federal law.

I thought that had to do with replacing factory authorized parts with aftermarket and not voiding the OEM warranty, not a lemon law at all.

Magnusson Moss could apply to this example as well.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
lillyputz wrote:
minnow wrote:

I thought that had to do with replacing factory authorized parts with aftermarket and not voiding the OEM warranty, not a lemon law at all.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:

Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a lawyer but I believe that if I had a warranty issue that was detected and the manufacturer was made aware of the issue before the warranty period expired, the warranty should cover that issue even if the repair takes longer than the warranty period.
2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda skimmed thru the posts, even the John Wayne stuff.

i had a Wilderness with the slide closing all messed up. I called the factory and they were well aware and offered to fix it even though it was a little out of warranty.

So I towed it to the factory repair facility myself.

it came out like a new one with no problem for years.

Expand your horizons and quit messing with the incompetence at the stealer. JMHO

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Keep all the paperwork and notes on the repairs.

Go take a video and pictures of it not being repaired properly. Do not accept it and make sure everything is emptied out of it.

Demand they call the Manufacture to pick the unit up from the dealership and send it back to the factory to repair.

Keep calm, be professional and write down in your notebook as you are talking to them.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Document everything. Date, time, and name of every person you talk to and notes about the conversation. Email and save the replies in a folder. When you talk to a person face to face have a witness that can verify the content of the conversation. You could call it building a fence around yourself and your RV. Protect yourself.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
another reason I don,t like slides. seems theres all way a problem.hope you get it fixed but sounds like the dealer is blowing hot air.they got your money and they don,t need you any more.