cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dehumidifier overkill?

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. We have been traveling from Texas to California over the last 5 days and have hit some cold nights. We have been warm without issue with the furnace during the nights but the condensation had been bad come morning. I purchased a small Peltier dehumidifier before we left which is worthless and am now considering upgrading to a 30 pint real unit, but wondering if it is overkill...I have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE, but there are 5 of us.

This is the unit I'm considering: https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Appliances-30-Pint-Dehumidifier/189957689

Many of the suggested units found in the search are discontinued or similar to what I already purchased.

Thoughts?
21 REPLIES 21

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in a 30' 5th wheel with a super slide for one winter while the house was being built. The unit was the typical summer time camper with R7 walls..roof....floor.
Condensation was terrible. We tried the vent cracking...window cracking but all that did was make a very cold drafty camper/furnace going 24/7 with wet walls.
I finally bought a dehumidifier which helped but not enough capacity. Bought another and no more wet walls.
That was in the mid '90 and I don't remember brands or sizes but we think they came from a Lowes.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Run a ceramic heater and slightly cracked window.....we seldom run the furnace when hooked to shore.

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the feedback. General consensus is venting is the route to go.

Thank you.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Most large dehumidifiers require shore power/generator - probably cheaper to crack a vent and run an electric heater/fan.
Kevin

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The unit you bought is not designed to dehumidify a trailer in use. It will do fine in a stored trailer up to 20 feet. 2 or more are necessary for larger trailers.
You need the 30 pint model and let it run.

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
I have found the cracked ceiling vent with the fan going works wonders but it cycles the furnace much more frequently (no wonder since I'm sucking the warm air out).

Trying to find a solution to preserve propane (furnace usage) with condensation control...

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Five bodies in that size trailer give off a lot of condensation! A full size dehumidifier will help, but adding a little ventilation from a cracked window and roof vent may be needed.

Jerry