cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do towed vehicles rack up miles?

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at buying a 2012 Jeep wrangler that has 145,000 miles. It is has a manual transmission. The salesman is saying that the miles are that high because it was towed behind a motor home.

Would being towed behind a motor home rack up miles on the odometer?

Is there a way to figure out if the salesman is telling the truth? I wouldn't normally want to buy a vehicle with that many miles, but if the engine has low miles and the rest of the vehicle is clean then maybe I would buy it?

Thanks for your experience and help. I appreciate it.

Jeff Fox
Jeff Fox
12 REPLIES 12

jefffoxsr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for all the information. I appreciate it very much. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff Fox

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
jefffoxsr wrote:
I am looking at buying a 2012 Jeep wrangler that has 145,000 miles. It is has a manual transmission. The salesman is saying that the miles are that high because it was towed behind a motor home.

Would being towed behind a motor home rack up miles on the odometer?

Is there a way to figure out if the salesman is telling the truth? I wouldn't normally want to buy a vehicle with that many miles, but if the engine has low miles and the rest of the vehicle is clean then maybe I would buy it?

Thanks for your experience and help. I appreciate it.

Jeff Fox

The salesman either doesn't know what he is talking about, or is deliberately telling a falsehood.
The only way a modern vehicle with electric/electronic speedometer can put miles on the odometer is if the ignition is left in the RUN position while towing. That would be a really dumb thing to do, because the later model Jeeps don't have a steering lock and the switch can be in the OFF position while towing. Even if the '12 model does have the steering lock, the switch should be in the ACC position while towing, and the odometer is not energized.
Jeep, and many other manufacturers, in their infinite wisdom, removed the "OFF, not locked" position from the switches. Speaking of dumb...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2003 Dodge Dakota has 165K on the odometer and an additional 120K towing.(We know the previous owner).It does not rack up towing miles and follows us without complaint!!
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
easy answer. run away from this car.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
jefffoxsr wrote:
Is there a way to figure out if the salesman is telling the truth?

Are his lips moving?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We've had four toads, all manual transmission. The older ones, 88 Mitsubishi and 93 Toyota, used mechanical speedometer/odometer with the old fashioned "speedometer cable" from transmission/transaxle right to the speedometer "head" and of course logged miles. Toyota cable was easily disconnected and I often did that.
Two newer ones, 06 Toyota and 09 Nissan, are electronic and don't log miles with the key in ACC to unlock the column. I suspect that if I left the key in RUN (a bad idea for many reasons!) it probably would.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 4 toads... Saturn, Cavalier, Cobalt and Fiat. Only Cavalier was automatic. None of the 4 accumulated miles on the odometer.

Motor might not be on, but all other moving parts are still being used?

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
another USED CAR SALESMAN.. trying to make a sale.. at any LIE..

/

electric and/or electronic speedometer/odometer do not collect mileage being towed..

analog speedometer with cable drives do....

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That dealer is full of it.
The real truth is that cars running gear has a lot more than 145,000 miles on it if it was indeed a towed.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much all modern vehicles have electronic odometer/speedometer gauges, even with analog dials, that do not rack up miles when the ignition is off.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
This 2012 Jeep Wrangler does not accumulate miles while being towed.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
My 2000 Jeep Cherokee does not. It is an automatic so don't know if that makes a difference. A 2012 may be totally different.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet