cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you sanitize your black tank?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Any time the topic of dumping comes up people will post their dumping routines. These routines usually range from dump and run to multiple flushes and even sanitize the tank.

The question is why would you sanitize your black tank? And how would you go about sanitizing the tank anyway?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
33 REPLIES 33

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
This question brings to mind the people who think they can pick up a turd by the clean end!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
"That odor" is more likely NOT the black tank. (Gray or the park septic cause you left a valve open)

The only reason to sanitize the black system is if you are going to be doing repair work on it. and I'd let the pro who does the repair do the sanitizing as well
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
EV2 wrote:
Let’s be fair. Our entire life we have heard about people who’s poo does not stink. They have an image to uphold.??

Love it, that's awesome!
Puma 30RKSS

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trackrig wrote:
Sanitize the black tank??? What are you planning to do, haul drinking water in it? That's like asking people who are on their own septic tanks is they sanitize them.

Bill

For sure, you can never have enough drinking water. What, you never sanitize you septic tank, shame on you.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sanitize the black tank??? What are you planning to do, haul drinking water in it? That's like asking people who are on their own septic tanks is they sanitize them.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I don't sanitize, but I'll dump some bleach in both black & gray tanks before I put my RV in storage.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

dedmiston
Once you use the tank, it will never be sanitary again.

There are lots of opinions about maintaining the tank (I flush it out and refill with a few gallons of water plus Dawn and Calgon), but I doubt you'll ever find a consensus.

In any case, there's no way to sanitize it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Some people will use a bleach solution to help keep bacteria from producing "that' odor. I don't but I do rinse very well when I wont be using it for a few weeks. Heat and bacteria are friends and it will produce sewer stench and in a closed trailer that isn't used for even a few weeks can get stunk up quick. No need to sanitize in my opinion, just rinse well.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
When we dump we use the factory installed flush line to add water to the tank until there are no significant pieces of "stuff" seen exiting in a clear pipe section. That's it. We add NO CHEMICALS OR ANYTHING ELSE to the tank. . . ever. We boondock often as well as keep the Bus in full service campgrounds for portions of the year. When at home the Bus is stored in a fully enclosed building and we have never had any odor problems. We have over 110,000 miles on the Bus and it is over 8 years old.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
About a year ago, I needed the black tank dump valve replaced.
Found a mobile mechanic that would do the work.
He said his rate would depend on how "dirty" he got and gave the price range. He could not come out for several days.
I had the "rotary spray nozzle" that had been plugged up for several years.
The RV at that time had a straight shot down thru the toilet to the tank.
I had the wand that one sticks down thru the toilet. Just hadn't used it in a few years.
So, I flushed and flushed with the trailer tongue as high as I could get it and as low as I could get it.
I had crystal clear water coming out of the black tank.
So, I filled the tank up one more time.
When the mobile mechanic showed up, I dumped the one last time and he was very happy to see clear water in the line.
There was still a mild odor in the tank.
To wrap things up, that wand puts out a lot of pressure and easily reaches the roof, sides and all 4 corners of the black tank. I doubt the rotary rinse can compare.
I do add product that does help with the smell.
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Let’s be fair. Our entire life we have heard about people who’s poo does not stink. They have an image to uphold.??

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sanitize? No.

Rinse to reduce the buildup of paper and solids? Maybe 1 in 5 dumps.

Deodorizer? More often for a longer stay and time between dumps I might drop in a packet. Not for short stay or frequent dump like full hookup site.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep the black tank from smelling? Yes.
Sanitize the black tank? Can't imagine that. In fact I'm not even sure how one would go about it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Those of us that store the RV indoors don't want a tank getting ripe, so I flush well and use chemicals.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guy Roan wrote:
I don't have to worry about it any more.
We don't dry camp, so I had it removed and a residential toilet installed.
I still have the gray tank and it's valve is always open as is the black tank valve

Back when we had it; We used the proper chemicals and dumped once a week. Then I would flush it with ten gallons of water.
When not in use I would keep a few gallons of water with the chemicals in it.
Never had a problem doing that with three different trailers over a 30 year span

Guy

How do you know you are not getting a dreaded "poop pyramid" ???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD