cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you sanitize your black tank?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Any time the topic of dumping comes up people will post their dumping routines. These routines usually range from dump and run to multiple flushes and even sanitize the tank.

The question is why would you sanitize your black tank? And how would you go about sanitizing the tank anyway?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
33 REPLIES 33

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
"Sanitize" might different things to different people. Using chemicals of any kind could be considered as sanitize in my mind. It certainly doesn't mean germ free. Consider the name, "sanitary napkin".

I think a line was just crossed.......
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
"Sanitize" might different things to different people. Using chemicals of any kind could be considered as sanitize in my mind. It certainly doesn't mean germ free. Consider the name, "sanitary napkin".
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dedmiston
bikendan wrote:
when it comes to poo, many people have some strange practices. like putting used tp in a bag instead of flushing it. or banning anyone from going #2 in the RV toilet.

We have a large toy hauler and the garage doubles as a guest room. Years ago we realized that our guests had disappeared for a little over an hour. We were puzzled at first, but then I realized that he was too uptight to use our bathroom, and he had driven to the closest gas station to use their facilities.

We never spoke of it, because I didn't want to embarrass him, but after that we give our guests an "Everyone Poops" orientation and teach them the doos and don'ts of using our RV bathroom.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:

Nope don't regret it at all. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm solidly in the dump and go group. If I have time, I run the sprayer for a minute or so and dump again. But I've seen the words sanitize more than once over the years and always wondered of they really meant sanitize.
Glad you dont regret it!! 2 pages of people telling you its silly. Yet not 1 mention of cleaning/sanitizing the hollow portion of toilet? You would think someone would have mentioned they dont santize the tank but they sure do clean the hollow section with some type of disinfectent. That does fall down into the tank. I try to reduce this because we dump into a septic tank and i want to retain the good bacteria.

At some point i do plan to "clean" my black tank. This summer when i do the fresh and grey tank and will add some bleach to the black as well. Or maybe i will add some dawn soap and drive around. Something to help break up solids that might be stuck.

I found filling and flushing the black tank with water does very very little. The tank flush powered by a water hose does a much better job.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
when it comes to poo, many people have some strange practices. like putting used tp in a bag instead of flushing it. or banning anyone from going #2 in the RV toilet.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
No. Never. Why would you want to? it's sewer.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely sanitize the black tank.
Rinse and flush with water.

Then I add bleach, fill it and let it sit.
Then flush once more.

I too had a busted black tank valve that I had to replace.
I wanted that plumbing about as squeaky clean as possible.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Beats me why anyone would be compelled to sanitize the black tank and yet some do. I'm guessing it's some kind of OCD thing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used septic tank enzyme in our unit, it controls the smell, attacks the products in the tank, and stays in there after dumping, because it's bacteria. Keeps on eating away till there's nothing to eat, always keep five gallons of water in the tank as well, I've found my levels indicators always work properly, plus, its dirt cheap, available everywhere, even the grocery store. Dump, add a little package, five gallons of water, good to go.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
kellem wrote:
I'm sure by now the OP regrets asking this question.....funny posts non the less.

He or she may have meant " deodorize " in which case, many of us do.

Just a reminder,
Those of you dumping bleach into black tank, be careful what products you use as many of the powerful odor control products plainly state on the box....do not mix with chlorine.
And the residual bleach left in black tank will negate the effectiveness of organic products such as Happy camper.

Nope don't regret it at all. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm solidly in the dump and go group. If I have time, I run the sprayer for a minute or so and dump again. But I've seen the words sanitize more than once over the years and always wondered of they really meant sanitize.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
The only tank you should have to sanitize is the fresh water tank. I do no EVER plan to drink from the other two tanks.

Ahhh I will definitely adhere to this going forward.
Always wondered why I suffered from indigestion during our excursions.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only tank you should have to sanitize is the fresh water tank. I do no EVER plan to drink from the other two tanks.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don`t sanitize it, but I do flush it. keeps it from smelling if you have the toilet valve open for longer than a couple seconds. plus it keeps the solids from hanging around inside the tank creating blockage issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure by now the OP regrets asking this question.....funny posts non the less.

He or she may have meant " deodorize " in which case, many of us do.

Just a reminder,
Those of you dumping bleach into black tank, be careful what products you use as many of the powerful odor control products plainly state on the box....do not mix with chlorine.
And the residual bleach left in black tank will negate the effectiveness of organic products such as Happy camper.