cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ham Radio enthusiasts

jrwhited
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any other Ham radio operators/ RV enthusiasts out there? I imagine there is. If so please reply with your call sign and location. If there is enough of us, maybe wecould get our own forum. Also share some things about your mobile setup. Thanks, Jim W, K3JRW
66 REPLIES 66

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
KE4HTS - Is that 7.075 ? We travel from Virginia Beach to Lynchburg a couple of times a year. Listen for N4XYZ (the OM).
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
I monitor .52 at the house and in the truck. I live just off the highway (I-64) and occationally get an RV in the summer. When I am at home I can talk to you from just West of Charlottesville, to get East of Richmond. I keep the radios on most of the time in the summer months. I have my call on my tags, give me a buzz if anyone is in the area.

KE4HTS
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

aviator
Explorer
Explorer
NY2AR Extra Class ham 41 YEARS and N2UFI(xyl). Just purchased a new Kenwood TS-480SAT at Orlando Hamcation, antenna is an Eagle One vertical and 2 meter handhelds.
aviator

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
N5OMU ticket punched in 1989.

Blackhills_Ram
Explorer
Explorer
KD0JLU General - Mostly active on 2 meter

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
I just made the switch over from CB and received my AR technican licence the beginning of this month. Made the switch in hopes of being able to chat with other RVers while on the road or at campgrounds. I will probably have more luck in CGs. I am making a sign for my MH with 146.520 on it as many of you have done. But from what many of you have said there isn't much response. I hope there is more traffic in the future.
In checking out the http://www.openroadsradio.net/modules/Jig/index.php forum, I see they have 537 members. Latest FCC count was around 750,000 amateur radio licenses issued. I would think most of the 537 forum members are also members of this forum. With only 750,000 total, how many are actual RVers? And of those, how many are actually on the road? I think chances are slim for someone to see you on the hiway. At the CG is another story. I always see them at CGs with their antenna set up.

gandalf42
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

we have APRS active when we travel. the packet being sent includes a note that we are listening to 146.52. have yet to have a call from anyone on 52 but it's only been a couple of years. APRS will tell the OP where other APRS users are and maybe some of them *are* listening to 52.

That's basically what I had in mind. If I can "see" another mobile nearby via APRS I can try and give them a call via 146.52 or a local repeater.

But again, I am new to ham radio, APRS, and all, so will have to see how well it works out.
Mike
Fort Collins, CO
'99 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
gandalf42 wrote:
ACร˜XX - new to Ham Radio. Bought a Kenwood TM-D710A (2M/440)as my first radio..due for delivery today! ๐Ÿ˜„ Want to be able to move it between the house and RV as needed.

Also, hoping that APRS will aid in making radio contacts while traveling.

It would be nice if there were a ham radio forum or sub-forum around here.

Not sure how APRS will help making contacts. Perhaps you are thinking of IRLP. Repeaters with IRLP links are still pretty thin on the ground though they sure are useful for making contact back to your home repeater system.

you need a dual band or two radios for that. we have APRS active when we travel. the packet being sent includes a note that we are listening to 146.52. have yet to have a call from anyone on 52 but it's only been a couple of years. APRS will tell the OP where other APRS users are and maybe some of them *are* listening to 52.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

OzRanger
Explorer
Explorer
Brad VK2QQ. setting up my first MH in the USA with an Ft8900 and FT857D. Planning on using something triband for 6/2/70 and I am toying with an inverted L on the roof for HF while on the road.

See you in Dayton!
AK2QQ / VK2QQ Listening 146.52
1999 Class C Coachmen Catalina 29ft

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
gandalf42 wrote:
ACร˜XX - new to Ham Radio. Bought a Kenwood TM-D710A (2M/440)as my first radio..due for delivery today! ๐Ÿ˜„ Want to be able to move it between the house and RV as needed.

Not sure how APRS will help making contacts. Perhaps you are thinking of IRLP. Repeaters with IRLP links are still pretty thin on the ground though they sure are useful for making contact back to your home repeater system.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

gandalf42
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
Fort Collins, CO
'99 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed

LAdams
Explorer
Explorer
WA9QYK - Advanced Class for the last 45 years - northwest suburbs of Chicago... Haven't been active for quite a few years but keep the ticket renewed all the time...

Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am K4QXX and the wife is K4NFL. I have a tri-band Kenwood radio in the truck (2/222/440) and carry a buddy pole and a 18' painters pole for HF. I put the painters pole up against the ladder behind the trailer with the buddy pole on top. I just use some zip ties for temporarily holding the painters pole. Use a Yaesu FT-857D or Icom 706MKIIG for the HF radio.

Check out the CrankIR antenna from Steppir antennas. Looks like it would be great for Rvers.

Burch
K4QXX
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have a homemade 2 m j-pole, 3/4" copper and about 20 ft long I can mt.to my ladder and a wire for 10-80m and I just ask if I can run it and no one has said no after I explain Ham can be an emergency telephone etc. KI4BDS at home N VA.

donee
Explorer
Explorer
I m donnie K7UTA.
Based out of So Cal. but due to medical issues with my DW. we re in Utah.
I have a dual band HT in the toad but haven't figured out what I want in the coach yet.

donnie K7UTA.
donnie (K7UTA) & Linda
1 rescued furrykid "Buddy"
2016 Fleetwood SouthWind 32VS
14 Jeep Cherokee
K7UTA