cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance help

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
Well got in the mail today that our insurance company is not going to renew and no longer going to carry motor home insurance. Its National Interstate, they are suggesting Geico Insurance. What insurance do you have. I have my personal home and cars with State Farm. Thanks
32 REPLIES 32

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
drsteve wrote:
I know some folks who have/had Progressive insurance. Haven't heard much good about them.

Just settled with Progressive on a new roof that a near miss tornado took off of our Winnie. Went absolutely perfect. Quick, fair, and no hassle.

Don't tell everyone how great Progressive is. They will all want to insure with them and that would be awful.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
I know some folks who have/had Progressive insurance. Haven't heard much good about them.

Just settled with Progressive on a new roof that a near miss tornado took off of our Winnie. Went absolutely perfect. Quick, fair, and no hassle.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
10 Years ago a car wiped out the side of my clients new Fifth wheel. I was there to do the repairs to the landscaping and repair the part of his home that was damaged. Progressive refused to cover the guys fifth wheel when they found out the driver was trying to commit suicide when the crash happened.

My client worked so very hard and should have been retired, but he had this strong dream of RVing, so he stayed on till it was paid for, but Progressive caused him so much stress over this he got a stroke that hurt his vision.

I will never go Progressive even if you bought it for me. I'm sorry about my rant but my client was a real good guy and it got me real miffed.

This makes no sense. Someone committing vehicular termination hits someones home and RV parked at same, and the insurance does not pay because its a suicide?

Which party had Progressive? Did you client have homeowners? Because thats what should of covered his RV and home in that situation. The carrier of the homeowners would of then went to battle with the carrier of the suicidee. (new word?)

If the suicidees insurance was Progressive, and they attempted or actually skated out on the claim, any other carrier would of done the same in that situation most likely.

By the way, I'm not defending Progressive, have had them for 9 years on two vehicles and the trailer, and right now am not too happy with them. You know that "Accident Forgiveness" they tout? Have an at fault and it a try, but hope you don't have as much as one small violation on your record, like 5mph over. Also be ready because even if your rate does not increase because you met the terms of the accident forgiveness, what you pay is going up 30%-40% regardless because you will lose the "accident free discount" and the "safe driver discount" for the next 3 years at least. Ironically I tried to jump ship and they still have the best rates, and I have priced them all both direct when able,and through agents and brokers. What a racket.

Home insurance will never cover physical damage on your RV. Ever.

If it was the other guys policy, then the owner of the fifth wheel should of had their own collision policy to cover them regardless.

Since his friend didn't commit suicide I assume he had a paid off fifth wheel and didn't insure it for physical damage because that is the only thing that makes sense given the third party commentary which probably isn't accurate.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Hartford through AARP for several years. Service was just so-so. I decided to check for lower rates. Found better coverage through a local insurance broker and saved $1,100. per year. I insure 2 cars, our truck and my fifth wheel. Very good driving records for both my wife and I and excellent credit. It pays to shop!

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had Hartford thru AARP years ago and saved some money over State Farm but when I checked rates before renewal I found Hartford $125 cheaper without the AARP endorsement. I guess that was their cut! Don't know about today but I bet it hasn't changed much.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

We had a claim several years ago on our trailer and the service was outstanding, first rate!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We have Progressive. There are cheaper alternatives.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
drsteve wrote:

We happen to be having a good streak w Progressvie not jacking our rates for years now. Fortunately we also have not had any big claims and for once I have a good driving record, lol.
BUT, I was in the situation it seemed where every insurance company was messing with us years ago. Long story, but even completely unfounded occurrences like Allstate forging our signatures and cancelling our current homeowners policy in favor of theirs after we declined homeowners with a new vehicle policy.

Iโ€™ll caution anyone who thinks their company is โ€œgoodโ€. ALL insurance companies are crooks, just at the wrong time. Sometimes itโ€™s the customers fault, sometimes they find some reason out of your control to jack with you. And Iโ€™ve seen the โ€œtopโ€ companies like State Farm and Allstate do shady stuff.

Merry Christmas!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

big_jim_2
Explorer
Explorer
Had Progressive but switched to Hartford through AARP and saved about $300. I have had one small claim and could not be happier!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the service was outstanding.

Did about 10K damage to a 15 GMC 2500 whacking a light pole base. No problem with the claim. They suggested one of the body shops they work with, and I had already knew the guy was one of the best in western PA. Repairs were perfect. The rates were always great too. I just was sort of blindsided by the terms of the "accident forgiveness" BS and how the discounts being pulled can change the big picture. My fault for not reading into it other than the declarations and other fine print. They have the discount and such stuff buried nicely. All the other companies play the exact same games.

"But sir, we don't understand as your "rate" did not increase. What happened was due to the accident you lost your "safe driver" and "accident free" discounts." Its till a rate increase in my eyes, but not in theirs LOL.

That accident happened a year ago last May, and to this day I still can not get a better rate for apples to apples coverage from anyone else. So I'm still with Progressive.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We also received noticed that National Interstate was not going to insure our coach as they are getting out of the 'bus' insurance coverage.

Our broker steered us to Safeco as they are the 'only' big bus insurer from what I understand ($1M plus coverage). The good part is our minimum deductible went from $5K to $2K including free glass coverage. The rate was very competitive.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:
10 Years ago a car wiped out the side of my clients new Fifth wheel. I was there to do the repairs to the landscaping and repair the part of his home that was damaged. Progressive refused to cover the guys fifth wheel when they found out the driver was trying to commit suicide when the crash happened.

My client worked so very hard and should have been retired, but he had this strong dream of RVing, so he stayed on till it was paid for, but Progressive caused him so much stress over this he got a stroke that hurt his vision.

I will never go Progressive even if you bought it for me. I'm sorry about my rant but my client was a real good guy and it got me real miffed.

This makes no sense. Someone committing vehicular termination hits someones home and RV parked at same, and the insurance does not pay because its a suicide?

Which party had Progressive? Did you client have homeowners? Because thats what should of covered his RV and home in that situation. The carrier of the homeowners would of then went to battle with the carrier of the suicidee. (new word?)

If the suicidees insurance was Progressive, and they attempted or actually skated out on the claim, any other carrier would of done the same in that situation most likely.

By the way, I'm not defending Progressive, have had them for 9 years on two vehicles and the trailer, and right now am not too happy with them. You know that "Accident Forgiveness" they tout? Have an at fault and it a try, but hope you don't have as much as one small violation on your record, like 5mph over. Also be ready because even if your rate does not increase because you met the terms of the accident forgiveness, what you pay is going up 30%-40% regardless because you will lose the "accident free discount" and the "safe driver discount" for the next 3 years at least. Ironically I tried to jump ship and they still have the best rates, and I have priced them all both direct when able,and through agents and brokers. What a racket.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Had SF, just recently changed to American Family. Costs less due to the fact they are a regional Company and not nationwide so things that happen out of our area supposedly doesn't affect our ins rates. Made sense to me and they have proved it by lower rates. My overall monthly rate decreased by about $50 mo and thats with a 15 Ram, an 18 Raptor, a 12 Harley and renters ins.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP