Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is Roadside assistance worth it?

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

My wife has had a AAA standard policy for a long time. I dont think it covers the travel trailer as well. Is adding an RV policy through AAA or Good Sam worth it? We used to do most of our camping within 2-300 miles from home, but over the past 3 years we have started doing 1000+ mile trips each year. I think if there was a tire blow out I would likely change it myself, but anything other than that it would certainly be nice to have assistance.

Roadside assistance in general is always mixed reviews so what are your thoughts and suggestions around travel trailer coverage?

Thanks
48 REPLIES 48

TheBar
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam has lists of companies experienced in towing and repairing RVs, or so they say. The one time I needed a tow the closest was 70 miles away. It would have taken dozens of calls to find them by Googling. 90 minutes later the tow truck was there. Even more important in my case was where to take it for repair. Being towed or repaired by a novice you might end up in worse condition than you started out. Remember more can go wrong than just a flat tire. You could have wheel bearing failure, locked up brakes, a broken weld, or a pothole that breaks an axle. I want someone competent towing and fixing my baby.
Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
I had CAA RV Plus, have used it three times, twice for trailer tire blow outs where the service was good and quick.
The other time was for a broken spring on the trailer in a small Quebec town east of Riviere-du-Loup. Luckily I made it to our campsite when it was noticed as I was told that they couldn't help to tow it to a local truck/trailer service facility.
When I told that place of my predicament they sent out a crew that did it on site.
I was turned down by CAA when I tried to get a refund, not for the repair itself, just the 'remote' surcharge.
I don't have CAA coverage anymore as I get free roadside for three years with my new truck and a closer read of my RV insurance revealed they provide the same coverage as was promised by CAA's RVPlus.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

GSRoadsideAssis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the post fj12ryder.

I apologize for the poor experiences you've had. Please send me a private message with your membership number and the phone number you would like to be contacted at and we'll reach out to you.

Thank you,

Zach

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
It's insurance, plain and simple. Either you want some sort of an expected coverage in the event of a problem or you don't. For us, we have three vehicles, 2 boats, a 5er and several utility/equipment trailers. The possibility (or rather "liklihood") of needing some sort of roadside assistance is high. So is it worth spending $100-$200 annually...IMO yes. I have over 50 tires on the road at any given moment and "large number of thousands of dollars" roaming the streets...so what's $100-$200 more?
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Depends on your level of mechanical aptitude, physical ability, age/condition of vehicles, and risk tolerance IMO.
Companies that sell those policies have huge algorithms that determine the cost of the policies based on similar factors, that ensure they make money on the policies they sell.
Do your own little analysis.
In general, my feelings (being generally well prepared to tackle little stuff on the road and generally driving very relaible well kept vehicles) are its not worth it, for me, now.
But the opposite end of the spectrum, when I was a kid, with snow plowing contracts, using and old beater truck, I made money on AAA service because I broke the truck several times a winter and it was cheap pre paid towing home.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I ever broke down while towing I was on the interstate in northern MI. Called 911, told them I needed a tow truck and was pulling an RV. The guy showed up, put my TV on his flatbed and hooked the trailer to his hitch, hauled me to a repair place, charged me $125 bucks. My basic towing plan that comes with the auto insurance paid $100. I was happy.

If I owned a 40' DP that required a huge, expensive wrecker, and perhaps a long and costly trip to a heavy repair facility, I'd definitely have a specialized RV road service plan.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I have good sam too but i'm not impressed with their service, long waits on hold, press this and so on also unless i'm I was told wrong they choose their service company's by the lowest bidder and the last time I had them come out on a flat the poor guy wasn't equipped properly,,, this year i'm going with RV+CAA after hearing some really great remarks about them. One thing I do however that I would suggest is to be as well equipped as you can be, I always travel with a honda 3000 genny with a portercable 150psi max a compressor, 20 ton bottle jack, air tork gun,full mech. tools, torque wrench and most of all I wouldn't leave home without my TireMinder monitor set-up on all my tires, that little rig saved my bacon a few times already oh and check your insurance company and insist on road hazard coverage, you pop a tire on your fiver' the damage can be pretty expensive!!!

Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em
into a quart of vodka.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a waste of money unless you need it. And sometimes it's a waste of money when you do need it. There's no guarantee that they will be able to send someone within a reasonable amount of time.

We used, or rather tried to use, Good Sam Roadside Assistance three times. The first time we waited over two hours before they said they couldn't find anyone that could change our 5th wheel tire at any time soon. We gave up and I changed the tire myself. The second time they found someone that could change a bad valve stem, and they finally showed up around 10:00 pm, after being called at 6:00 pm. Strike two. The third time they were sad to inform us that all tow services were too busy to help with our stalled, out of fuel due to faulty fuel gauge, truck. I was able to get fuel, crack the lines to bleed out the air, and got back on the road myself.

So my experiences with roadside assistance is that it's a waste of money. YMMV.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joegray
Explorer
Explorer
Have Good Sam Platinum,used it twice and very happy with the service. Traveling from B.C. to Yuma,would not be without it. Its like any insurance,not used much but sure nice to have when you need it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have CAA RVplus. I would not wish to be without it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We have roadside assistance provided though State Farm which insures ever single thing we own. Our trailer will be towed up to 250 miles and the truck up too 100 miles. Flat tires, fan belts or any other little problem I do myself.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
With a smart phone you can obviously google and find a towing company yourself without too much effort. But finding a good one that is experienced in towing RVs may be a little harder especially in a more remote area. A good ERS will already know, or should already know, who can do that.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think Roadside Assistance is a must have,as a 50+member of AAA I have had always been happy with the high level of service they provide.

I added the RV to the AAA Plus policy years ago,cheaper as a add on than other stand alone policies They have always performed to my satisfaction.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a good thing to have.....if you have problems, where you have cell phone reception. Some of the best places to travel, have no service. ;). So, itโ€™s good to be prepared to take care of some issues yourself!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I have my roadside with my insurance company, USAA. I dropped Good Sams years ago.