cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold refrigerator and charred back wall

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I helped my buddy change out his 8 cf refrigerator in a 2006 cardinal. It had got real close to burning up. A person couldn't see this without removing the refrigerator. We found a haier 10.1 cf at lowes that fit without any modifications. This is the back wall of the camper.
2012 F-250 superduty
2014 Jayco premier 361reqs
7 REPLIES 7

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same swap of the Norcold 8 cu ft for the Haier 10 cu ft. I found significant soot marks on the wall and insulation after removing the Norcold, but no burn marks like your photograph.

The Haier 10 cu ft is a great unit, and cools much better than the Norcold.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Was that one of the recall Norcold units?

Just about everything they built in the past 15-20 years has had some kind of recall on it.
jwmII

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
You definitely got that in time, it could have been a tragedy.

Did you change it because it overheated? Or did you find the wall damage when you removed the refrigerator because it quit working?

My buddy had been back at his home for a few weeks then came back to the RV. When he checked his refrigerator, it wasn't cooling much. He called me and we took a look at the coils in the back. We noticed the yellow tint around the flame box. So we went and got the new haier refrigerator to install. We didn't know about the charred spot till we removed the old one.
2012 F-250 superduty

yamerhammer1
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:

I don't know if this was one of the recalls or not since it's my buddy. I'll be back up there Monday and ask him. I have a 2014 Jayco premier that I changed out the frig with a Samsung. Very happy with that decision.
2012 F-250 superduty

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We saw the same thing when we changed out our Dometic 1350 that went through 3 cooling units and 1 complete changeout of the frig. Scared the cr** out of us. We thanked our lucky stars and are loving the Samsung rf18 that was installed. We will never have another Dometic/Norcold piece of cr**. We've been wondering how much their sales are down on those??

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely got that in time, it could have been a tragedy.

Did you change it because it overheated? Or did you find the wall damage when you removed the refrigerator because it quit working?