cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

question about using toilet when hooked up at home

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my 5th wheel at home when we are not using it, and although I have a dedicated 50amp plug in, I do not have anyway to empty my black tank. (I live 5 acres in a very rural area, so I have no issues dumping my grey tanks at home).

From time to time I will be using the 5th wheel at home when company or relatives come and visit. Should I keep them from using the toilet? My concern is it might be 2 or 3 weeks before I take the 5th wheel anywhere. The black tank obviously would not be very full from just 1 night of someone staying in it. Is it ok to travel with a little bit of solids in the black tank? What does everybody else do if you use your RV at home, but don't have a dedicated dump site at home?
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
32 REPLIES 32

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
OP lives on 5 acres in a rural area...
Just dump it on the ground and let nature do the work. If the TP doesn't dissolve quickly, then just rake it up once it dries a bit. Your talking about a few turds once in a while....
Nothing like over-thinking a simple problem.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Tell them the toilet is broken and they have to use the one in the house.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't have a cleaning, just pump it directly into the nearest toilet in your house. It will go down the drain as you are pumping it into the bowl.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
If you have a septic tank on your property, there should be some type of clean out and you could dump in there. If it's close enough and down hill you could even run a drain line to where you park the trailer.

If you're in a northern climate where the frost gets very far underground, this cleanout is usually located in the basement of the house where the pipe to the septic tank goes through the wall of the basement. Here's mine, amongst cobwebs and dust, between the water heater and the well pressure tank. Hooking up an RV stinky slinky is not at all practical.

Can you run a garden hose to it? If so, you got a perfect setup. Just a couple fittings and you got it made
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is one of the very few times where I might suggest using one of the Black Tank Chemicals.. A Biological however not a chemical.. Rid-Ex RV comes to mind or one of the waste digesters.. NOTHING with formaldehyde in it.

Sitting for long periods of time gives the Bacteria in the biolgicals time to work, Normally they don't have time to work.

Make sure your Guest knows how the Toilet works. Not all work the same
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Flojet Macerator and just run a 3/4" garden hose from the Macerator to my sewer cleanout in my basement. It also has a connection for clean water so I run that through it too. Mine is DC powered and works like a champ.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
If you have a septic tank on your property, there should be some type of clean out and you could dump in there. If it's close enough and down hill you could even run a drain line to where you park the trailer.

If you're in a northern climate where the frost gets very far underground, this cleanout is usually located in the basement of the house where the pipe to the septic tank goes through the wall of the basement. Here's mine, amongst cobwebs and dust, between the water heater and the well pressure tank. Hooking up an RV stinky slinky is not at all practical.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
One warning about septic tanks... if the clean out is atop of the tank, don't use it for dumping. This will cause stuff to splash over and solids to wind up going down the pipes to the leach fields, possibly stopping those up (which can get expensive to fix.) Best is to dump at a pipe that is going into the tank, so all the solids wind up at the bottom.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the onboard pump to pump into your septic system at the clean out that comes out of the ground .
As question can you drive with solids in the black tank , sure , why not , driving will shake up and help liquefy the solids . Many problems in a black tank can be fixed or helped by taking a ride for a mile or so .

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
Actually my RV came with a built in macerator. I have just been bypassing it and using the gravity fed dump. How can this help me at home and how can it help me avoid the lines at dump sites?
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Being you live out in the country I suspect you have your own septic system. If so, where is your opening for cleanup?

When I get home and the black tank is fairly full before I park it I will pull up somewhere close to the system and dump it with the normal 3" hose. If it is either too wet to pull in or parked for a while and being used I use a Flojet Waste Macerator and a 3/4" garden hose to reach the septic. Works either way.

If working outside, the camper is closest and the bathroom just inside the door a couple steps it makes much more sense to use the camper then the house bathroom for a quick pit stop. Been using this system for 17 years and no problems.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have access to your sewer or septic clean out pipe?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's situation is ideal use for using a Flojet Waste Macerator (10 pics) which will not only allow using the rig for accommodating guests as much as you want but will eliminate the need to ever have to line up at any campground dump station. Should you ever be camping and your black tank fills you can also use the macerator to off load the tank contents into a portable waste container that can be taken to the dump station. It's all about options. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, just make sure it has plenty of water in it. Also remind your guests to use plenty of water when they flush.

A handy thing is to put in a sewer or septic cleanout so you can dump at home. If necessary, you can use a portable macerator pump to get to the cleanout, if it's a long ways or uphill.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board