cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Standard" faucet filter use in an RV?

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a full timer. I've been using distilled bottled water. I would prefer to use a Pur faucet filter, like the kind used in houses and apartments, where I don't have to go through a lot of trouble. I can just screw it to the faucet, flip a lever when I want filtered water and have easy access to change the filters.

My concern is that it will raise the water pressure too high in my systems and cause a leak.

My rig is rated for 55psi on the plumbing. I use a manually adjustable flow regulator on the hydrant to keep my static pressure right at 55psi; which gives me a flow pressure right at 50psi. And I actually like the pressure where it currently is.

When I research online I see all kinds of comparatively expensive stuff that sits outside and filters all water. I only need it for cooking and drinking. And yes, I do have an exterior sediment filter. But I won't drink unfiltered city water.

When researching online I also see a lot of systems that mount under the kitchen sink and require me to change out the faucet. Frankly, I do not want to deal with all of that. I have mobility issues due to a neck injury and I don't want to have to crawl under a sink every few months to change a filter.

As far as I can tell a Pur/Britta on tap filter is the easiest and cheapest solution to achieve the filtration levels I desire.

The question is: Will it blow up my plumbing?
13 REPLIES 13

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Pur filter on the faucets of bother our Class C and 5er. No problems, and added a bit of peace-of-mind
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the old cheap faucet in my trailer with a home version. Bolts in and works the same way. Just a bit heavier and a bit more expensive! So then you could attach a Pur filter. However I had a built in drinking water filter/faucet on my sink. So when I used the built in whole house filter and the inline water hose filter, I had water filtered 3 times coming out of the drinking water faucet.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
i use the our filter on mine and have never had a problem of anything lraking
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem that I can see you having is if the faucet is a cheap plastic one, it might not be able to handle the weight of the filter over time.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We use a faucet mounted Pur filter as our final filter for reducing any remaining chlorine taste, lead, and mercury in our drinking water. Our primary filter is a whole house unit that filters all of the water coming into the RV for sediment and assorted nasties such as lead and mercury, as well as reducing the chlorine taste.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

It depends on what you're trying to filter out? If it's total dissolved solids (TDS), then you might be surprised to find out that many water filters apparently do little in this regard? We did some simple testing of the most popular filter used in our office, Brita pitcher water filters, and discovered they typically only achieved a 5% reduction in TDS using our tap water. Comparing Deer Park bottled spring water which represented an 85% TDS reduction from our tap. Though the only readily available filter that reduced TDS to 0-1% was Zero Water pitcher filters. It was by far the most effective water filter, outside of using a reverse osmosis system.

Besides using a TDS meter, we tested with a Precipitator, and Zero Water filters produced clear liquid. Others resulted in various degrees of brown, akin to coffee color in nature. Needless to say, we all switched to Zero filters.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
A faucet with a filter is not going to cause more pressure than a faucet that isn't flowing any water at all, i.e., shut off.

OK, when you put it that way it's pretty obvious.

But I didn't think about it that way.

Maybe I should have had a V8?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A faucet with a filter is not going to cause more pressure than a faucet that isn't flowing any water at all, i.e., shut off.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

I think the OP is talking about possible leaks caused by the filter creating a restriction and raising pressure.

EXACTLY! Spot on.

If the water system is in good condition it won't cause any leaks. When you run water now and shut it off the pump runs for a few seconds. That's more pressure than will be generated by a restriction (filter) in the water line.
No, it won't blow up.

Cool, thank you very much. That's what I was hoping to hear. But I wanted to check in with some more experienced folks before I went and blew something up.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
stevennlv wrote:

Only a pump can increase pressure, the filter has no pump.

I think the OP is talking about possible leaks caused by the filter creating a restriction and raising pressure.

If the water system is in good condition it won't cause any leaks. When you run water now and shut it off the pump runs for a few seconds. That's more pressure than will be generated by a restriction (filter) in the water line.
No, it won't blow up.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a 1 micron external filter attached to my hose line outside my 5er. This keeps the dirt out of the system. Inside I use the "Zero" water system for drinking.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
stevennlv wrote:

Only a pump can increase pressure, the filter has no pump.