cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residential refrigerator

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you glad you have it? How long does food stay cold when traveling without power? I am using 85 degrees as a baseline. Do you open the fridge for breakfast? How does that affect how long it stays cold? Thanks for any helpful hints!
24 REPLIES 24

I too like our residential fridge.. With the inverter. I can run from PA to the Florida Keys without the fridge shutting off...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've got a resi in out TT. I was worried if I'd like it when we bought the TT, because we store the camper at a storage place, and I was concerned with cool down time, and battery life.

When I go to get the camper, the first thing I do is turn on the inverter, then hitch up. By the time I get hitched up, drive the 15min to the house, and start loading up the fridge is cold. We typically will load our clothes etc, and by the time we get to loading the fridge it is ready to go.

Our truck sends enough power to the trailer batteries that they stay charged with the fridge running while we drive.

The only reason I might consider an RV fridge is if we boondocked a lot. We are in the southeast, and there just aren't many places to camp that don't have hookups, except to tailgating at football games.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I'll never go back to propane, ours will run on batteries for 2 days w/o solar or plug in, and solar augments that when the sun is out. Can't beat a decent freezer with ice maker and water in the door. Much more food room in the fridge as well.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Are you glad you have it? How long does food stay cold when traveling without power? I am using 85 degrees as a baseline. Do you open the fridge for breakfast? How does that affect how long it stays cold? Thanks for any helpful hints!

we love it! no more fretting about the RV fridge warming up, lots more space too. when we're on the road the res fridge is running 24/7. when not hooked up to shore power or on genny the fridge runs off the 2000-watt inverter. if you've bought a new/newer RV with an OEM res fridge you likely have an inverter as well. if you've replaced or are thinking of replacing an RV fridge with a res fridge I suggest you make your life even easier by adding an inverter and extra batteries if needed.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just went from a travel trailer with a Propane/electric frig to a motor home with a residential frig. I much prefer the residential. Now I can keep ice cream in the freezer! I don't boon dock though but I think the residential frig cools better, especially if you are in and out of the frig all the time like my wife!
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
I have a resi fridge in my TT and it works very nicely. I agree with JFNM if your going to have lots of hookups and power then a resi fridge will be fine. I personally don't boon dock any so a resi fridge is no problem to me. I go about a month between trips with no power to the TT in between. It usually takes about 4 hours for the fridge to get to temp. Then usually about 20 hours to lose it's temp and freezer start thawing out.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone 20 hours without power to the refer. Everything was still frozen.

Yes we open for breakfast, just don't "surf" the refer. Your other questions cannot be answered with any intelligence because of the unknowns

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both and both worked fine but regretfully we boondock quite a bit and the residential fridge did suck up our batteries quite a bit. So we personally prefer gas/electric units just because of that. But if you don't boondock a lot definitely prefer residential units.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I am glad I have it. It is a Samsung RF24FSEDBSR 23 cu. ft. Counter Depth 4-Door. It works fabulously - normally zero and 37 degrees (freezer/fridge). Mine is very rarely without power as I have lots of solar and a big lithium battery (and inverter) - I boondock nearly all the time. The only times it is without power is when doing some sort of battery/electrical system maintenance. It stays cold during these short outages but, with the internal temperatures on the door, you can certainly seeing it slowly warming up. Purely a guess but I would think mine would have 4-5 hours before the freezer got up to near 32 degrees if the doors are kept closed. I would not recommend residential unless you always have hookups or are able to power it from the coach (solar, battery, generator).
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures