cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing in 2022

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
With the price of fuel going up as fast as it has been, I am sure most folks are reconsidering their plans for 2022. Are you ?

My daughter's family was planning a trip to Disney World with their camper but just cancelled the campground reservation in favor of a on-property hotel (they love camping and will do several trips in MI this year).

We all know that new RV sales in 2021 set records. Do you think there will be a lot of 1 and 2 year old RVs for sale this spring ?
49 REPLIES 49

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Won't be surprised if I see some $300 plus fillups this year.

That is what I would put in my boat 15 years ago without batting an eye.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Positive point of view high gas prices may result in less traffic, fewer sold out rv sites, lower RV sales and eventually lower prices. Have seen it all over the last 20 years rving $.99 per gallon to $4.75 per gallon. Cannot wait to hit the road GoRV.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
I would encourage everyone to travel if they possibly can. We have reached the age where health problems prevent us from using the motor home much and I regret not using it more when we were still able. I regret more what I haven't done than what I have!!! Money is something that you can't take with you when your life is over.

Yes !! I'm 58 and I wish I had done more things when I was young. I tell the 18-20 year olds to get a good job but, not one where they have to work so much that they forget to have fun.

Each moment in time is a gift. A gift you only get once. Don't waste it.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

dedmiston
We haven't slowed down yet, but I paid $278 for fuel last night before we hit the road tomorrow. And that's just to get there. I'll have to tank up again Sunday to get home.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't want to be on my deathbed thinking about what I should have done. I want to be there thinking that I had a pretty good ride, saw alot of stuff, did alot of things & have few regrets.

We bought the RV thinking that we would have it five years tops & see as much of the US & Canada as we wanted. After fourteen years we are still going strong. Our routes across the US & Canada look like the web of some demented spider zig zagging all over the map. Two hundred & twenty thousand miles worth.

The price of diesel will not stop us.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nick sorry I didn't elaborate---I have 6 vehicles, no cable, well, septic, 1 phone, etc. But food you need no matter, clothes not much, presents not at all. My average living expense, everything except RVing, is about $1500--$1800 a month + taxes and insurance. Like I said above I have been blessed to be able to still have the health and the money to travel and fuel prices won't stop me--YET!

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have been fortunate to have made a lot of money---and blew a lot of it along the way. When I was 25 or so Dad said "you could be a millionaire already but" I did all the things you could do when young while I was young. Didn't wait till I was old and stiff to wish I had. Also been broke a couple of times. But I am 81 now and have no regrets, health is pretty good and already have been to FL once and Myrtle Beach this year. Diesel is $4.09 here and I am rolling out once more Friday. Only bills I have are insurance and taxes, everything else is paid for So, the price of fuel will not keep me home.
I'm fortunate and made a decent living most of my life, saved what I could, but I have lots of bills. I have house taxes, income taxes, house insurance, health insurance, home heating, water, sewer, electricity, telephones, internet, cable TV, maintenance on the house and Rv, car insurance (2), maintenance on the cars, food, clothing, christmas presents, birthday gifts, and I could continue. And the prices of all these keep rising.

So I guess I'm not as fortunate as you who only has insurance and taxes (unfortunately I still like to eat).

So anytime fuel goes up as high as it is right now - Yes! it has an effect and hard decisions have to be made. Do I hit the 401K harder, or do I cut back and hopes I can make the 401K last until no one needs it any longer (which could be a day, or it could be 40 years).

If you could just tell me how long I'll need that 401K to last that sure would be helpful.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
schlep1967 wrote:
Sometimes you just have to roll with the situation.

Pardon the pun ๐Ÿ˜‰
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a little over two years until we retire and start extensive traveling. Our longest trip this year is 214 miles one way. Most of our weekends are less than an hour one way. Fuel prices won't stop us from any of those trips.

The last time prices went way up we were looking at taking two families/towing two campers to Pigeon Forge. When we looked at fuel usage for the two vehicles towing we decided to look a combo deals Dolly was offering for her rental properties. It was cheaper for us to get a 4 bedroom condo and it provided us with unlimited entry into Dollywood for the whole week. We still made the trip, had more fun due to getting into the park free and saved some money. Sometimes you just have to roll with the situation.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been fortunate to have made a lot of money---and blew a lot of it along the way. When I was 25 or so Dad said "you could be a millionaire already but" I did all the things you could do when young while I was young. Didn't wait till I was old and stiff to wish I had. Also been broke a couple of times. But I am 81 now and have no regrets, health is pretty good and already have been to FL once and Myrtle Beach this year. Diesel is $4.09 here and I am rolling out once more Friday. Only bills I have are insurance and taxes, everything else is paid for So, the price of fuel will not keep me home.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
I would encourage everyone to travel if they possibly can. We have reached the age where health problems prevent us from using the motor home much and I regret not using it more when we were still able. I regret more what I haven't done than what I have!!! Money is something that you can't take with you when your life is over.

my mom would often say "you will get a nice inheritance" my response "if you EVER decide NOT to do something because you want to leave the money to me, I'll be VERY mad. Do what YOU want, if there is anything left, fine but you don't OWE us ANYTHING, you raised us fine"
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled in for a bit over 1/2 a tank of fuel.

After the TSD discount the final cost was actually $584.50 but that still stings. Won't stop my travels but dang!

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like many of you, we live on a fixed income. I'm not poor mouthing, but we are feeling the increase in prices on everything. Our pockets don't reach down to our knees. We are vacillating on canceling our two week trip in April to save money for a 3 1/2 month trip north to escape the heat in AZ. We would save about $1700. That would give us a fuel pad up to about $6 per gallon for summer. If diesel hits $6.50-7.00 by summer, we might have to reconsider our plans.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!