cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling RV, urgent help needed on proper process California

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I put my RV for sale on rvtrader. I have a cash sale pending and need to move on finalizing the sale properly. (Orange County, CA) What is the proper procedure at this point? Title is lien free. Do I take buyers to the DMV to do a transfer after payment is received? Do I need to get a smog check done for them...before or after DMV? Basically what are all of the proper steps to transfer ownership and complete the sale ASAP. And what shouuld the new owners be doing besides paying me and securing insurance? Ideally in the next two days. Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
I recently sold my DP MH on RV Trader. You need to make sure that you immediately, by computer, fill out a release of liability form on the DMV website. You possibly will have to do a smog test before reregistering it. I just found out that diesel propelled vehicles now have to have a smog test upon sale. I have no idea where that is done at. If I were you, I would go to DMV with the new owner to ensure immediate xfer. If not, that release of liability is very important. hope it helps
Lee
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeff92804 wrote:
I think I found my smog answer: What happens if my vehicle passes the Smog Check?
If your vehicle passes, the station will provide you a vehicle inspection report showing your vehicle’s results and will electronically send the smog certificate to DMV. The smog certificate is valid for 90 days.

90 days from now would get me to my renewal date even if sale falls through.

Additional questions:

Am I under any obligation to make sure that buyers have gotten insurance before driving RV away? I plan to file release of liability before handing over keys.

Get a release of liability from the DMV site.. Fill it out. Send it in. You can also do it all online, in seconds. You will then NOT be responsible for anything from that point on.
Do NOT remove your plates (as someone has suggested), unless you have vanity plates yo want to use on another vehicle.
Do not worry about the smog in June. That will not be your responsibility.
Good luck with the sale.

Where would I put "AS IS" in the sale so no implied warranty? thanks

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeff92804 wrote:

Just download this generic California Bill of Sale this is what I have used. As Is on page 2

Calif generic bill of sale
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have sold many vehicles in Calif and it is a very easy process. If the buyer is paying cash, I have the buyer meet me at my Bank and the Bank runs the money through the machine to make sure the money is good. Make sure and fill out the release of ownership. I then take it to any DMV and hand it to the person that you you talk to when you walk in. You have to have the MH smogged which is good for 90 days. If the buyer is paying with a cashier's check I would meet him at his Bank to make sure the funds are good. I have never removed the lic plates
on any RV that I sold in Calif. I have several times in AZ as it is required.
I ALWAYS write on the bill of sale that the vehicle is SOLD "AS IS" no guarantee
of any kind written or implied
samsontdog:o:W

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just me, I,d call the DMV record it and get the fact,s .

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer
I think I found my smog answer: What happens if my vehicle passes the Smog Check?
If your vehicle passes, the station will provide you a vehicle inspection report showing your vehicle’s results and will electronically send the smog certificate to DMV. The smog certificate is valid for 90 days.

90 days from now would get me to my renewal date even if sale falls through.

Additional questions:

Am I under any obligation to make sure that buyers have gotten insurance before driving RV away? I plan to file release of liability before handing over keys.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
A side note for any vehicle transfer in California.
The license plates on your registered vehicle are yours. Take them off of the vehicle and physically surrender them to the DMV. This forces the new owner to register the vehicle in their own name and in a timely matter. Simply submitting the title transfer online does not fully remove you from liability of the vehicle.
If you don’t take this step, the new owners can then operate the vehicle under your plates that are attached to your name. Toll evasion is the one issue that comes to mind but a crime committed can also wreak havoc for you.

This information was told to me by an employee at the DMV.

From the DMV website
Does the NRL (notice of transfer and release of liability) remove my name from the vehicle record?
No. Only the buyer’s application for transfer, using the endorsed title received from you, can remove your name from the vehicle record.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nevada is trying its best to be like California in many ways. No notary stamp was needed when I sold my TT to a Reno dealer. All I had to do was endorse the title and hand it over for a check in return and sign a short easy to read bill of sale prepared by dealer with no gibberish or tricks. At a recent RV show he was not happy with the price he paid me over 5 years ago but the TT was in very good condition when he bought it from me. I said he could scratch his and be glad.

He remembered me as a fellow former Texan. Too Bad.

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
1. Yes, YOU need to smog the RV.
2. If you have AAA, you can do the transfer right there. But, with an appointment
at DMV, you will have no wait.
3. You can also just fill out the title, a release of reliability, and print out
a bill of sell. No need to go anywhere.
California is one the easiest places to transfer titles. Some states require a notary stamp. We don't.

Thanks. My current registration is good to end of June. Any renewal would need a smog. Do you know, if I go get a smog certificate now, would that cover the renewal for June? 1 for new buyers...IE would they be covered for two years? 2 if sale falls through, could I use the smog certificate I get today or tomorrow, for a registration renewal that will likely come in the mail end of this month.

I am on the fence if I would want to go to DMV with buyers to complete the transfer...I'd like to see it through, but not spending time at the DMV is good too.

Thanks for the info

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Yes, YOU need to smog the RV.
2. If you have AAA, you can do the transfer right there. But, with an appointment
at DMV, you will have no wait.
3. You can also just fill out the title, a release of reliability, and print out
a bill of sell. No need to go anywhere.
California is one the easiest places to transfer titles. Some states require a notary stamp. We don't.

jeff92804
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
I have sold major items person-person many times, and besides certified funds (from a bank ideally, or cash) that you take to your bank to verify FIRST, you would sign over title AND provide bill of sale, signed by both parties.

HOWEVER---I don't live in CA.

You'll dislike me for saying this -- but you should figure all that stuff out FIRST before having sold it. Know the process for your state. Have a plan. Know what types of payments you'll take and HOW you will handle them. Contact the DMV (or website) of your state and see if they have info. Again, I can't imagine that it's any harder than Bill of Sale, Title signed, and certified funds.

Thanks for the reply, but I am looking for someone who has done this in CA to cover additional requirements and not just someone who is imagining/speculating. I am already well aware of collecting money, bill of sale and title transfer. The stickier parts I want to make sure of are understanding my obligations related to smog and making sure I perform those obligations in an optimal way so buyers do not have to get smog for another two years. I also want to identify proper procedure to make sure I have removed all liability by making sure they start the title transfer process. Obviously I will call DMV when they open and aks them, but am hoping for a CA reply. So while I appreciate your effort, it is not helpful since you have no CA knowledge on the matter. Parting shot was really not needed though. Sale is moving alot faster than anticipated, but basic plan is in place, I am prepared, it is these final details that I did not think of until now is all.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have sold major items person-person many times, and besides certified funds (from a bank ideally, or cash) that you take to your bank to verify FIRST, you would sign over title AND provide bill of sale, signed by both parties.

HOWEVER---I don't live in CA.

You'll dislike me for saying this -- but you should figure all that stuff out FIRST before having sold it. Know the process for your state. Have a plan. Know what types of payments you'll take and HOW you will handle them. Contact the DMV (or website) of your state and see if they have info. Again, I can't imagine that it's any harder than Bill of Sale, Title signed, and certified funds.