cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I paint galvanized vent caps?

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm replacing my plastic pipe vent caps with galvanized metal caps. Should I paint them before or put the on, or with the galvanization be enough?

If I do paint them, does anyone have recommendations for which paint to use and prep work. There's a small bolt and nut on the top of these. I'm thinking cover these with some Dicor?
7 REPLIES 7

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
One or two coats Rust-oleum or Hummerite paint. Big issue is to neutralize the galvanizing using cheap white vinegar. Use stainless screws for mounting.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all for your input. I believe the original plastic covers made it 30+ years, but I figure I might as well be sure and paint them if there's a chance they will eventually rust. There's a Sherman Williams paint store near my house. They should know what primer and paint I should use. I might even bring along the caps when I ask them. Better to play it safe than to have to replace them in the future...

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I worked at a hardware store and if I remember there is a primer or paint made for Galvanized metal

JimR

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest painting with a good quality paint. Make sure to wipe down with vinegar to get good adhesion. The thin metal of your cap is most likely electro-galvanized and not hot dipped. Electro-galvanizing doesn't last!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
So many paints won't stick. Do what tinners do... wipe galvanized metal with vinegar to etch it. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only reason to paint them is if you want to have them match the pipe or other rooftop parts.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Galvanized steel will last for 10+ years without rusting. Do remember the old metal galvanized steel garbage cans?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos