cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing an RV other than at home

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned many a unit over the years but we cannot store an RV at our current home due to HOA restrictions.
So for the last 1.5 years I have stored it some 8 miles away at some expense of course.
Yesterday I went to pick the unit up and found out that sometime in the last 4-6 weeks my unit was hit on the left rear of the bumper which shifted things forward with damage and was preventing us from opening our genset compartment.
Several hours of work later we can open it and I will have to seal the bent up sheet metal area with sealant to protect it from water.
I know I cannot hold the storage yard responsible but I noted that the guy next to me moved out very recently.
I would really like to know who the clown was with that 40' class A so I could go to his home and get a little justice. :B
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
19 REPLIES 19

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Going down the Grapevine.

CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me I have 2 trucks a old camper and car that need to go away this spring. Then all I will have here is my truck and wife,s car and my new TT along with a cargo and landscape trailer. Sounds like a dump here now that I think about it. LOL. I'm lucky that we have land to store most out of sight. Stinks some jerk hit the OP,s RV. It also must be a PITA when told you cant even have your RV at your home. I understand there maybe little land with a lot of the HOA homes and they want to keep the Clowns out.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Id never buy a house if I couldnt park my RV or anything in my driveway..

Im in nice quiet peacefull neighborhood city of 200.000 people,
and almost every other house has a cargo trailer,camper even motorhomes parked not only in the drive,but some on the grass,lawn also..
Some even have boats..
Had to fight the city hall once as one of my neighbors complained about me making noise,,renovating the TC,,what else am I going to do let it deteriorate?

what really gets me there is old car next door that dont run parked right on the road for over a two years that no one complains about..

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Another prime example why I do not buy homes with an HOA. It is always safe and sound at my house.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
So just one more interesting question from one of the "clowns" here. How do you know the trucker that tried to run you off the road was "drunk"?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
KeninAZ wrote:
I did not think I had to justify myself to the clowns here.

That's the spirit...

KeninAZ wrote:
And the damage was recent as dirt on the bumper had been knocked off.

See, you had the benefit of having that knowledge. The rest of us did not have that knowledge, prior to this most recent post.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
Stupid comment? Interesting. What questions do you think an investigator would ask if he was called out to investigate a hit and run at a storage yard?

For what it's worth, I thought it was a valid question too. How many people perform a walk around of their vehicles after every trip or outing? About 2 years ago when we were camping we went to a couple of local stores to get some supplies. After returning from the trip, I parked my truck and went inside the camper. Came out a little while later and there was a big dent on my tailgate. Took me a while to even notice it... in fact it was the sun moving across the sky that eventually gave an odd reflection before I noticed it.

It could have happened at several different stores, in several different parking lots. I honestly have no idea exactly where it happened, but I am pretty sure it happened that day.

Again, valid question as to when it occurred, not "stupid" by any means.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I did not think I had to justify myself to the clowns here.
I was merely pointing out the risks of storing your RV at a place other than your home.
The only way my rig could have been damaged was from the driver's side by the rig next to me as they turned in considering that my trailer was in place.
And the damage was recent as dirt on the bumper had been knocked off.
I talked to the owned of the storage yard, he said the guy that was next to me left suddenly, said he found another place to store his rig. He may have been trying to conceal damage to his unit, who knows.
I stopped short of getting his information.
I know what I have done in the past to people like this.
Years ago I had a drunk trucker try to run my wife and I off the road. I got all his information and turned it over to the district attorney who did nothing even though the company that owned the truck put him behind the wheel at that moment. It was too much trouble as he lived out of state.
After 4 months of no justice after being run into a guard rail by a drunk I gave up and I drove 500 miles to make sure he would never do that to anyone again and was proud of it.
Some people you just don't mess with. And some things you have to take care of yourself.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
KeninAZ wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
Is it possible it could have been damaged the last place you camped? Or when you stopped for a burger on the way home. What kind of hard evidence do you have that this occured in the storage yard?

No, and what a stupid comment to make.
The last trip we used it was late April and it's been in storage since.
And when we go I tow a dolly with our mini van for my wheelchair and it's lift which would make it rather impossible for anything other than a glancing blow to the side with the trailer hooked up as we store it.
We visit the unit, inspect it thoughly and start it and run things about every 45 days or so. That inspection includes checking tire pressures and walking the exterior of the unit. I also checked he genset last about 4-6 weeks ago and when I picked it up yesterday I found that we could not even open the compartment it was in due to the damage to the frame of the compartment. That's the reason I know when it was damaged.
Stupid comment? Interesting. What questions do you think an investigator would ask if he was called out to investigate a hit and run at a storage yard?

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do not know who hit your RV. It may have been the class A driver. It may have been someone completely different.

Wanting to go beat the cr@p out of someone who may or may not have been the one to hit your rig is a bit extreme.

Chalk it up to the risks involved with storing your rig at a facility. Either claim it on your insurance or don't. But let it go - you're not going to accomplish anything more than getting more upset over something you can't resolve.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Is it possible it could have been damaged the last place you camped? Or when you stopped for a burger on the way home. What kind of hard evidence do you have that this occured in the storage yard?

No, and what a stupid comment to make.
The last trip we used it was late April and it's been in storage since.
And when we go I tow a dolly with our mini van for my wheelchair and it's lift which would make it rather impossible for anything other than a glancing blow to the side with the trailer hooked up as we store it.
We visit the unit, inspect it thoughly and start it and run things about every 45 days or so. That inspection includes checking tire pressures and walking the exterior of the unit. I also checked he genset last about 4-6 weeks ago and when I picked it up yesterday I found that we could not even open the compartment it was in due to the damage to the frame of the compartment. That's the reason I know when it was damaged.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
KeninAZ wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
When I stored my unit in a storage lot I wrote down the license plate number of the unit on either side. Never had a problem, but if I had I would have had a place to start.

Good idea, I will do that when I get back from this trip.
But the storage yard has that information too.
Like I said, do I really want to beat the hell out of the owner if I find his unit damaged?

Been the rounds with the police on this type of stuff before. All they do is document it for insurance purposes, big deal.
They are not going to investigate an unwitnessed accident on private property.
I had a parked car hit on a public street some 25 years ago. The hit and run did well over $1500 worth of damage at the time, $4k now I would think. The police acted like they did not even want to take the report.
30-40 years ago, maybe, not now.

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
When I stored my unit in a storage lot I wrote down the license plate number of the unit on either side. Never had a problem, but if I had I would have had a place to start.

Good idea, I will do that when I get back from this trip.
But the storage yard has that information too.
Like I said, do I really want to beat the hell out of the owner if I find his unit damaged?