Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water hose threads...

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Objective here is humor.

Iโ€™ve read a lot of threads here- lots of blow-hards...You MUST use white RV hose- green ones are โ€˜poisonousโ€™.

But as a kid, I drank from them.

Anyway- camping right now, with fancy new white hoses, and the water is โ€˜big time hose flavoredโ€ (eye roll).

Maybe we should use the right ones, but then again, maybe itโ€™s mostly bologna.

Anyway, weโ€™re filling a water jug for drinking directly from the faucet, just because it tastes better.

LOL
17 REPLIES 17

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
K3WE wrote:
Objective here is humor.

Iโ€™ve read a lot of threads here- lots of blow-hards...You MUST use white RV hose- green ones are โ€˜poisonousโ€™.

Anyway- camping right now, with fancy new white hoses, and the water is โ€˜big time hose flavoredโ€ (eye roll).

Maybe we should use the right ones, but then again, maybe itโ€™s mostly bologna.

Anyway, weโ€™re filling a water jug for drinking directly from the faucet, just because it tastes better.

LOL

also drank from those green hoses when I was a kid, didn't where a bike helmet either. (I don't think they had them in those days) learned to drive in a 1967 3 on a tree pickup truck with gas tank directly behind bench seat while my father smoked. Not sure how I am alive today!! :B :B

Mike

Same here exactly :B Only I can add that I used to slide down the spillway at 40+ on the slippery moss and algea and built the worlds largest teeter Totter, it went 22 feet high at the seat.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
K3WE wrote:
Objective here is humor.

LOL

also drank from those green hoses when I was a kid, didn't where a bike helmet either. (I don't think they had them in those days) learned to drive in a 1967 3 on a tree pickup truck with gas tank directly behind bench seat while my father smoked. Not sure how I am alive today!! :B :B

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah, the aluminum being a silent killer has been known for years around here.

Heck look up antacids using aluminum.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ajriding wrote:
I don't think you are supposed to use a SAFE hose for a nice taste, but rather that it is not supposed to leach out petro-chemicals as bad as the garden hoses.

I had a friend, when he was 19, worked for auto sales lot. He helped the mechanics at times and he would wash his hands in Benzine. Everything was fine and dandy until that day he was diagnosed with leukemia. Dad grew up eating food cooked in aluminum pots and pans, all was just fine until dementia got him. Lots of cancer stories can be told, fine and dandy all along, no problems, then got sick.
With all the things we cannot avoid in the world it would be wise to avoid the things we can easily avoid.

I never heard of the Aluminum pan thing, I had to look it up. Seems that there is no clear evidence that Aluminum pans cause dementia. I still use Aluminum pans in my camper.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Drifting aa bit but...I remember the peddler came around in a GMC or Chevy open side Suburban,called something different then. You could hear him a good ways away. because it was so quiet it defened you on the mountain. Aluminum cookware was the rage. Grand Ma bougth a lot of it.....And the aluminum got Mama too as it has many. When she married in 46 it iron skillets a few enameled pans that my sisters now have and aluminum everything else. No one like the aluminum dipper. The tin dipper that hung by the water buckets delivered the most refreshing cool drink of spring water ever. Always cool it seems. And...no one ever got sick and we all shared that dipper.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you are supposed to use a SAFE hose for a nice taste, but rather that it is not supposed to leach out petro-chemicals as bad as the garden hoses.

I had a friend, when he was 19, worked for auto sales lot. He helped the mechanics at times and he would wash his hands in Benzine. Everything was fine and dandy until that day he was diagnosed with leukemia. Dad grew up eating food cooked in aluminum pots and pans, all was just fine until dementia got him. Lots of cancer stories can be told, fine and dandy all along, no problems, then got sick.
With all the things we cannot avoid in the world it would be wise to avoid the things we can easily avoid.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I hate those cheap plastic replacement ends that you put on garden hoses. I usually end up Cross Threading them after a few uses.

I have learned to purcahse good hoses with good steel threads on the end and then take good care of them so they last for a long time.

I atually started getting the plastic ones, the steel ones for some reason have a disimiler metel reaction on my home hose bibs ( brass) causing them to oxidize and fuse. I wish they would just make things that works well together. For now i spray the hose bibs with dry lube, or use vaseline. This isnt really a problem at a campground as i dont stay that long. But for seasonal people , it might be a problem.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
We would drink from any hose as a kid. Bell, there was a tin cup hanging on the pump on courthouse square. But, think about it. How many chemicals in materials where not even in the world 50-60 years ago? And to think the test about bringing out a new chemical is not "is it Safe" but "is it profitable". And we have no idea how to get many out of the environment. And when stuff is made out of recycled material, many things are likely to make use sick.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that, including bringing home a bear cub for a pet, and bobcat, and at age 4 or so picked up a rattlesnake but...i won't drink from an old water hose again, unless I have to. I got sick from drinking from a rubber water hose one time. Won't do any of them again,,probably.
Take that white hose and connect it from the faucet to your filter or rv without a filter and let the sun work on it for a few days while rving.
Then look inside the hose is it brown or green or both and is there any black?
if the water source has chlorine t can still have the brown stuff but less likely.
In line filters, if you have a lot of sediment or sulfur and iron etc after a day or two every time you open the tap, the filter loaded, it bypasses the media and you get a lug of mud like in Michigan with wells and lots or RVers on a weekend or in south Ga and La and elsewhere that delightful taste of sulfur and iron. Good filters are as large as you can get. get all the nasties and minerals and stop up firt because they do the job...but it is cheaper to buy the inline little or now a bit larger filters. You won't one that tell you to change it or one that won't let wter though...when it is clogged up with all the garbage you want to not drink or wash in and needs replacing,...not one with a spring that lets the water and junk bypass, into your glass, when the media is clogged.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate those cheap plastic replacement ends that you put on garden hoses. I usually end up Cross Threading them after a few uses.

I have learned to purcahse good hoses with good steel threads on the end and then take good care of them so they last for a long time.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Same as others....I was going to launch into "NHT" v. "NPT" v. "sweat" v. "copper" discussion, with a ancillary discussion of "hose barb" and "schedule sizing" thrown in for no extra charge. ๐Ÿ™‚
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw the title, was going to tell you to count and measure your hose bib.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought for this topic was the type of threads on a water hose. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about garden hose threads:
===================

The thread standard for garden hose connectors is known as "garden hose thread" (GHT), but its official designation is NH (NH stands for "National Hose" 3/4-11.5NH is for full form threads as produced by cutting material such as the brass spigot outlet or hose male or female end fitting found on more expensive hoses 3/4-11.5NHR is for thin-walled couplers produced by rolling thin material, usually brass, typically found on less expensive hoses 3/4-14NPSH is for female hose ends that mate a hose to a tapered pipe thread without a spigot). The standard was defined by NFPA 1963, "Standard for Fire Hose Connections", then later by ANSI-ASME B1.20.7, which is 1 1/16 inches (27 mm) diameter straight (non-tapered) thread with a pitch of 11.5 threads per inch (TPI). The female thread is abbreviated FHT (for "female hose thread"), and the male part is abbreviated MHT (for "male hose thread"). This fitting is used with 1/2-inch, 5/8-inch, and 3/4-inch hoses.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
K3WE wrote:
Objective here is humor.

There is a problem with many stories like this in that they forget to include "other factors"
As a "kid" I too drank from a standard garden hose. and since I worked the loft during bailing season with temps and humidity both pushing 100 throwing 80 pound bales of hay around I drank LOTS of water from the garden hose.

BUT we ran the hose till the water was cool.. thus it was fresh water.

On the RV the hose sits there full of water. If the hose is not "Potable water quality" chemicals from the host have hours to leach into the water instead of a second or two.

That is the error in the above story and why it is important to use a potable water hose. Color is not iportant (Unless you use color coded garden hoses) For example in my Rig are several hoses of different colors White-Silver.. OK
Black.. Well I use it with the macerator pump
Gray Gray tank #2 (Wash)

Get the picture.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times