cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3400 vs 3500 Watt Generator

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why Champion has a 3400 and a 3500 watt dual fuel generator? Both are on their website. Camping World has the 3500 and Amazon only has the 3400. They both have the same 192cc engine. All specs appear to be the same except for wattage and for some odd reason the 3500 is 0.7 lbs less weight.
23 REPLIES 23

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Marketing and Advertising 101: Big box retailers do this to prevent potential retail customers from playing the price matching game. Big Box retailers often use these items as leaders to get you in their store then refuse to price match their competition because the items are different AND have a different SKU number.

Good advice: Buy which ever one is cheaper and move on. They are the same.

Chum lee

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I don't know if they are trying to fool you but try calling SupergenProducts, they are in Newark NY and Glendora CA. The owners are father and son and very easy to deal with. They have the 3400 with a numbers 100222 I believe less than a grand.

X2 Paul Sr. is great to deal with I just bought my remote start 3400 dual fuel he thru in an hour guage and a high aititude jet. Great inverter/Gen.
1-8Generator

Bigdogboogie
Explorer
Explorer
Overstock.com has the 100263 model for $1103.99 with free shipping. If you sign up for their email list they will send you an instant coupon that will save you some cash.

Champion dual fuel

I just bought the 3100W remote start model from them. It was lasted at $933.49, After applying the instant coupon my total price was $830.24 shipped and it was delivered within a week.

Champion 3100 watt remote start

It has no problem running my 13.5 A/C and it is quieter than I had hoped so that's a big plus. I like not having to hook up two 2,000 watt models and my wife is a big fan of the remote start since she can start it herself.

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Paul Cole 'the father' at Supergen in Azuza Calif, (father and son are both Paul Cole)
is a lot like Randy at Best Converter
they know the product and can tell you the specifics and the differences
and what will work best in your situation
or just help you solve a problem with what you have

example if you have 15k BTU A/C i would recommend the 3400w

but if you have an 11K or even 13k A/C the 3100w will handle it

but a 3400w will give you a little bit more 'breathing space' on those really hot days

also when using LP you loose some power, so a higher power rating provides a few more watts, Lp is nice for home backup, stand by power, because LP does not go bad

but for purchase convenience i like gas, easier to find, and more hours of run time per gal, more energy per gallon

LP is nice and convenient though. One 20# bottle will run twice as long. 30# 50% longer than the 20#. If you have a big 100# bottle (like my "Winter Bottles"), 10 times as long as a fill of gasoline. Only time LPG is a big factor is altitude. You will "feel" the loss of power more with LPG than with Gasoline.
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtech wrote:
bg71361 wrote:
I was able to find a post by a Champion Tech; he stated that the 100263 and 100264 are identical except for the 100 watt more conservative rating printed on it. They are the same machines. The 100264 is sold by Cabelas and Camping World as sort of an exclusive item.

Take it for what it's worth, free advice on the interweb.
Good luck!

Sounds like they are fooling the customer into paying more for the same thing.

Except that I just bought a 3500 W Champion Inverter from Camping World for LESS than what Amazon wanted for it. Even less than what Cabela's wanted for their same model.

The "Exclusivity" isn't necessarily about price but playing to the idea that some people are impressed by numbers they don't really understand. If you look at the actual rating of each inverter the 3400/3500 Watt ratings are max or surge ratings. The 100 Watts won't matter except to those who are showing off their generators over a beer and bragging about the extra 100 watts.

Prices are driven by market and those who want to sell more will sell for less.
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

skameigh
Explorer
Explorer
Just to update this thread as I couldn't find anything while browsing the internet....

I called Champion per the number on the first page of this thread. I got a tech on the phone and he said the exact same thing as stated earlier. The 100263 and 100264 are identical units. He stated the 100264 was only marketed with a different wattage to make it exclusive to certain retailers. He suggested I browse around for either model and buy the best deal. He stated the 100263 does put out the listed 3500watts like the 100264 was marketed as.

So, theres my answer for anyone who is still wondering the same thing. Both models are identical in output and purchase which ever you get the best deal on.

Take care!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
j.p.f. wrote:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/4000w-dual-fuel-gen-portable-generator/prod18320286.ip?xid=plp2040-auto:product:1:2

is this it?
$448 at sam's

the OP is looking at Champion's INVERTER generators, not the open frame contractor-style noise maker you posted.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
try this live link.
sam's $448

dadgum, still didn't get it right? sorry

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/4000w-dual-fuel-gen-portable-generator/prod18320286.ip?xid=plp2040-auto:product:1:2

is this it?
$448 at sam's

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, very helpful.

MrWizard
Paul Cole 'the father' at Supergen in Azuza Calif, (father and son are both Paul Cole)
is a lot like Randy at Best Converter
they know the product and can tell you the specifics and the differences
and what will work best in your situation
or just help you solve a problem with what you have

example if you have 15k BTU A/C i would recommend the 3400w

but if you have an 11K or even 13k A/C the 3100w will handle it

but a 3400w will give you a little bit more 'breathing space' on those really hot days

also when using LP you loose some power, so a higher power rating provides a few more watts, Lp is nice for home backup, stand by power, because LP does not go bad

but for purchase convenience i like gas, easier to find, and more hours of run time per gal, more energy per gallon
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
As bg71361 said, this is often done to provide an "exclusive" product to a specific retailer. This will allow the retailer to decline price matching against the mainstream model number, because it's "not the same product". There is also sometimes a minor differentiating feature, such as an extra HDMI input on a TV or A/V receiver. I can't say if that's the case here.

MrWizard
SuperGen generators

The 100263 dual fuel 3400 is $1079

100261 gasoline 3400, $1049

75537I gasoline 3100 $949

Free shipping, all three models are remote electric start
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I don't know if they are trying to fool you but try calling SupergenProducts, they are in Newark NY and Glendora CA. The owners are father and son and very easy to deal with. They have the 3400 with a numbers 100222 I believe less than a grand.

Thanks, I will give them a try and see what they know about the 3500 watt unit.