cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connect multiple portable solar panels?

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a portable 100W panel from Renogy that comes with a built-in controller. Two cables go to the battery connect on the RV.

How hard is it to connect a second 100W panel?

I assume we'll need to buy a 100W panel without a built-in controller?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have two 100 watt portable panels that I connect to one of my two portable Renogy solar controllers using a Jackery Y branch..They have the Y branch clones on Amazon...Not sure how your Renogy controller is connected but the two pannels connected, need to go into the input of your controller..The Y branch connects the two panels to make one inputto said controller..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It's best to have the controller close to the batteries. If possible remove the controller from the panel and install it close to the batteries. Do not place the controller in the same compartment as the batteries if they are flooded lead acid.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are the panels the same brand and specs?

If they are the same wattage but different voltage, that could cause issues as the higher voltage panel may waste energy trying to backfeed into the lower voltage panel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I installed the solar panel on the truck camper, I thought far enough ahead to add a "connection hub". That way I can simply add an extra panel or two and plug it into the hub with out having to rewire the whole mess. But I did know that I would eventually add more panels and batteries. The system is sized to a specific size that I will eventually end up with.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not enough information for a good answer. Please send the specifications for the panel and the controller.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Must also consider the max capabilities of the charge controller on the single panel. It may not be capable of handling more panels.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably best to buy a second panel with controller and run both sets of wires to the battery.

Otherwise you'll need to access the controller input wires to connect the second panel. Panels should be identical and the controller has to be spec'd for 2 panels and you may void any warranty.

Very common to connect panels in parallel, series or series parallel with 2 wires going to an appropiate controller.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob