cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-1 Message on Dometic thermostat

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
My 15 btu dometic a/c has quit working. I have a message on the thermostat E-1. Need help identifying this problem. Montana is parked in the country and plugged into 50 amp. Think there was a lighting strike near by because some breakers were off.
Second question, I pulled the start capacitor which is not swollen and there is no burned electrical smell. Plugged into top of capacitor is a small device labeled Motor Starter. The connector attached to this did show signs o0f being too hot.
What does E-1 on the thermostat indicate?
How does one test the capacitor?
How does one test the peice labeled Motor Starter #Awsx-7?

Thanks!
20 REPLIES 20

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Follow up on the E-1 problem. Was able to install the thermostat and new control board. Everything works good as it should. Decided not to try the new thermostat with the old control board. felt it would be better to keep the new items together for compatible sake. Probably my imagination but it seems the fan speed is greater whether on low or high speed.

Thanks Doug for the advice in solving the problem.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Weldon wrote:
Doug, I have received the new Tsat and control board. Will go out in a few days to install. Would it be a bad idea to connect the Tstat to the old control box first.
If the unit came on then I would know if the Tstat was the issue. Thanks

Good idea. Doug

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, I have received the new Tsat and control board. Will go out in a few days to install. Would it be a bad idea to connect the Tstat to the old control box first.
If the unit came on then I would know if the Tstat was the issue. Thanks

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Doug I will take your advice and order the complete kit.

Thanks

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Doug I will take your advice and order the complete kit.

Thanks

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing attached to wall.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Possibly check wire continuity with an ohm meter before you spend money.
Although it is rare for a wire behind a wall to suddenly have an issue. Have you attached anything to the walls lately?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Since you are doing the work yourself, I would buy the complete Kit(Tstat and control Board) for $95. The tstat alone is $57. Doug

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometic-Single-Zone-LCD-Thermostat-Control-Kit-Black_p_25652.html?gcl...

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Still have the E-1 showing on my thermostat and have tried removing thermstat then remove COM cable and wait 2 minutes then go to reset which made no difference. Still have E-1 flashing. All wiring is connected in the control box. If the thermstat is flashing the message I assume it is good. Wires on the a/c compresser are connected. How do I determine if control box is defective?
Dometic 15000 model 59516.531, serial number 40335444. Another number which may have been labeled product no. 991731786. Thanks!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you have a LCD display, the fuse is good. Doug

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Doug the control box and this thermostat were installed about 10 years ago, guess the shop had this one in stock. Is there going to be a fuse in the control box that I should look for?
Thanks

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Weldon wrote:
https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/dometic-single-zone-lcd-thermostat-with-control-kit-polar-white-109082.html?g

Doug this is like my tstat, hope it will open for you.

1. That Tstat was not even available 16 years ago
2. That means someone upgraded the Control box and the wall tstat in the past 16 years.
3. There are only 3 wires that connect to this Tstat. So, look at the back of the tstat and then go to the Upper AC control box and find those 3 wires and make sure they are connected. Doug

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/dometic-single-zone-lcd-thermostat-with-control-kit-polar-white-109082.html?g

Doug this is like my tstat, hope it will open for you.