cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical connection between trailer and truck problem

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I did a really dumb, dumb thing. The plug between the truck and trailer was sort of corroded and not always making a good connection so I used what I had--WD-40 to clean them. It worked. BUT now the the male plug simply falls out of the female receptor when I plug it in. The truck connector cover has little tongues sticking out to hold the male plug but none of them line up. Any ideas about what I could now spray on both parts to eliminate the oil? I can't really get into either piece to clean anything. Any other ideas will also be greatly appreciated. You would think at 79 I'd know better but I still make supid mistakes! LOL
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control
8 REPLIES 8

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Now, as to why you sprayed WD40 into the connector....
Are you having some connection problems? Or just preventative maintainance?

groundhog

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Earl E wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
4 6 or 7 pin round or flat.

Round connectors have a bit of a "bump" on them that a notch on the dust cover locks down on. If the dust cover spring is not springy enough it wont' lock (or if you do not push it far enough on) a rubber band over the cover and plug body may help till you can make other fixes.
. I'll check for gunk because the bump doesn't line up the hump!

When fully inserted, the bump and hump will line up.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Earl,
You did fine. WD40 isn't a bad thing.
Yes the truck connector cover should have a tooth on it to hold on to the trailer connector to hold it in. If they dont line up, then you rotate until both connectors slip into each other. Then the truck connector cover tooth should grab the trailer connector.

I hope I understood your post and I hope this helps.

groundhog

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Round connectors have a bit of a "bump" on them that a notch on the dust cover locks down on. If the dust cover spring is not springy enough it wont' lock (or if you do not push it far enough on) a rubber band over the cover and plug body may help till you can make other fixes.
. I'll check for gunk because the bump doesn't line up the hump!
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Specific answer to your specific question - spray contact cleaner.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Like wa8yxm asked - what type of connector? For the common 7 pin Bargman, the cover on the male (vehicle) end has a tab which should lock the trailer end in place when it's fully seated.

Maybe the tab is broken, maybe the spring on the cover is broken, maybe there's gunk in either connector which is keeping them from fully mating.

(the gender is defined by the contacts - 6 of the 7 are male on the vehicle side, so that's considered the male end, although it's less ambiguous and confusing just to refer to vehicle/trailer)

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
often times each round pin/conductor in the plug has a slot in it. If so, take a small screwdriver or jack knife and push in each slot and spread it a little.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times