cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexible Solar Panels on Side of Truck Camper

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

Has anyone mounted any flexible solar panels on the sides or front of their Truck Camper?  With the limited space on truck campers roofs, mine currently has 4 panels, it would be great to get some amps from the sides as the sun moves around, especially the front cap.  I can fit a 200 watt panel on the front cap, another 200 watt panel on one side and a 100 watt panel on the other side.  Wondering if anyone has explored this avenue….

Thanks,

Mr. E

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
3 REPLIES 3

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad

While we use a TT rather than a slide in, I have had similar thoughts about mounting panels on the side.  But I was thinking more along the lines of traditional panels attached at a hinge at the roofline.  Then some type of adjustable system to raise the panel to horizontal or other level as needed.  I think fixing a panel to the side would limit its use too much since you would have to orient your camper just right to get output from it.  

If my roof was too full to just add another fixed panel, I think a portable ground-mounted plug in would be better that you can chase the sun with if you want to maximize it.  

Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

personaly I think it would be a lot of money for very little pay back.  sitting at 90 degrees would be very inefficient unless your in the desert and are facing the sunrise, and then it is weeker so you won't get full power but you'll get a boost.  but that would be gone before noon for the restof the day and before the sun is at its best solar output.  now if like the last post they were on "awnings" you could flip up horazontal then it might be worth it, but you could use regular panels with a higher efficiency if you were going to do that.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III

a friend with a 5th wheel puts them on the windows on side of trailer.   they are hinged so you can tilt them to see out and catch more sun..   you don't  have to cover a window just put it on the side of rig.. 

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 1.13.24 AM.png

Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.