cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water tank flows out drain hose

Indianaron
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to rv's and I don't know why my fresh water tank just runs the water out the drain under my Coachmen Catalina. In the past, water overflowed from this hose when the tank was overfilled. The does not seem to be any leak under the camper, just from the drain hose. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if the plug is only hand tight in the valve, with a valve you don’t need the plug and they might have stuck it in there when they winterized it so it wouldn’t get lost. It should screw into your drain hose.
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

Indianaron
Explorer
Explorer
JK, I have two hoses underneath and at the back marked as low point drains. The hose that drains my tank is forward of that and also has another hose next to it that has a valve and plug in it.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Indianaron wrote:
I'm new to rv's and I don't know why my fresh water tank just runs the water out the drain under my Coachmen Catalina. In the past, water overflowed from this hose when the tank was overfilled. The does not seem to be any leak under the camper, just from the drain hose. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The drain under the Coachman is a low point drain or fresh water tank drain. Its sole purpose is to drain the tank. It has been left open. Find its valve and close it. The vent hose is beside the opening to fill the tank. The vent hose opening is higher than the water tank to prevent siphoning.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you are looking at a vent hose and the tank is full.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you winterize it or someone else? If someone else, look for the cap to this drain behind the outside door for the water heater.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually the overflow for the tank isn’t a hose. I think your low point drain is open.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Indianaron
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. When it quits storming, I will plug the hose and also hook up the city water hose just to see what happens.

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the fresh water drain or the low point drains are open, mine had plugs in them but I changed them to valves to make it easier. On mine the drain, hot and cold low point drains were all close together and had 1/2” pipe plugs in them. All were plastic. Bob
Bob & Barb
ProPride hitch

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I live just north of Indiana in Michigan so I can’t come help. Sorry
Bob & Barb
ProPride hitch

Indianaron
Explorer
Explorer
very southern part. don't know any rvers yet

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
What part of Indiana do you live in? Maybe someone who lives close to you can help you if you can’t figure it out.
Bob & Barb
ProPride hitch

Indianaron
Explorer
Explorer
Every bit of water I put in the tank runs out. The camper was parked for over a year and I had no issues. Yesterday, I pulled it home but due to the weather, I can't get outside to check it out. I am confused as to why this is happening all of a sudden. It was winterized until last Sunday. I may just do as Terryallen said and block off the hose... One thing I have noticed is that when the tank is overfilled, it does not pour out of the fill tube, it drains from this hose under the camper.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it stop? If it’s the overflow drain it will drain if it’s over filled or you park on an incline.

Or a drain valve was left open from winterization?

Need more info.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Indianaron wrote:

Put a stopper in it. Mine has plugs that screw in.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers