cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace running requires hookup or engine running?

Jjarrell50
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve rented a 2012 sprinter airstream, class b, to run the furnance (lpg) I have to have van engine running, be hooked up to power, or generating running. This seems odd to me. Itโ€™s propane seems like battery would be enough for thermostat and whatever electric is needed to manage.

So if Iโ€™m dry camping, to get heat at night I need engine running, which is awkward at 3am.

Does this sound right?
33 REPLIES 33

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
rlw999 wrote:
When I rented an RV from CruiseAmerica, their rental contract (as well as a sticker in the bathroom) said the same thing -- said if I didn't return it with both waste valves open I'd have to pay a dump fee.

:h Is this for real? That may be why I have seen on a few occasions a Cruise America Rental leave a campground with the dump valve open and the cap off spilling the left over contents all over when they leave.

Yep, unfortunately, it's for real, check out page 57 of their renters guide:

Remember to return the unit with the waste tanks empty, valves open and the waste cap off (where permitted by law) or you will be charged a dumping fee.

There was a sticker in the bathroom saying the same thing, wish I'd have gotten a photo of it.

Interestingly, earlier in the same renters guide it says:

REMEMBER: NEVER DRIVE THE MOTORHOME WITH THE WASTE DRAIN OPEN OR WITH THE CAP OFF. (SEE P. 57, RETURNING THE MOTORHOME)

MrWizard
I know these threads drift
But open holding tank valves, are a long ways from weak battery problems
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rlw999 wrote:
When I rented an RV from CruiseAmerica, their rental contract (as well as a sticker in the bathroom) said the same thing -- said if I didn't return it with both waste valves open I'd have to pay a dump fee.

:h Is this for real? That may be why I have seen on a few occasions a Cruise America Rental leave a campground with the dump valve open and the cap off spilling the left over contents all over when they leave.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
He told me i had to bring back the trailer with both drain valves open.

I ignored it and closed the valves after dumping, and they didn't charge any fee. No matter how well I rinsed the blackwater tank, I don't see how I could avoid dumping some residual blackwater on the road on my way back to the rental place.

Figured I'd dispute the fee if they tried to charge it, but they barely looked it over when I returned it, just walked around to look for any obvious damage.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Should of. Not a fake story. I was a total newb this was 15 years ago. I literally pulled over to a rural area and opened the black tank valve. It was already drained. But i knew it would leak things as i continue to drive around.

Bad memory. Looking back i wish i could have opened the valve on his property.

dedmiston
wopachop wrote:
I rented a trailer twice. Same guy. He told me i had to bring back the trailer with both drain valves open. Which means spilling feces onto the street.

I hope you waited until you got to his property to open the valves. :E

I wonder if he intended you to leave the cap on? That would have saved the street, but the next guy would have been sorry when he opened the cap.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Take the battery to an auto parts store for testing and provide results to owner.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I rented a trailer twice. Same guy. He told me i had to bring back the trailer with both drain valves open. Which means spilling feces onto the street.

That same guy showed up camping. We were 2 hours away from where he rents the trailers. He straight up came to pick up the trailer. The renters said wait.....didnt we rent until tomorrow? The dude said nope and made them empty the trailer. It was a family. They had to stay in a friends trailer.

I couldnt believe what i saw. I dont think that renter guy remembered me. But i sure remembered him. Hopefully his business ended up failing because he was not into customer service at all. Was probably a fake business for some other stuff he was doing is my guess.

Jjarrell50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, agreed. Iโ€™m already planning what Iโ€™m going to say. I came to the forum as I am a novice to rv. Thanks to everyone.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Jjarrell50 wrote:
Itโ€™s rvshare, like Airbnb for rv. Owner indicates this is normal.
Help others and leave an honest review. You rented a trailer. Battery is too low to run the furnace. You asked the owner and he said its normal.

So inform others that the owner thinks its normal for people not familiar with RVs to go messing around measuring battery voltage. Troubleshooting issues while on vacation.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Jjarrell50 wrote:
Itโ€™s rvshare, like Airbnb for rv. Owner indicates this is normal. But the coach is a 2012 with 115k miles. A lot of things he has said as normal are not. Many warnings on dash, including check engine light are not normal. Avoid handbrake, it gets stuck,

Maybe evidence of house battery weak, engine has to be running to start generator.

I love it. While we might all agree this is not normal; what the owner is saying is that is all normal for his abused rental RV.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MrWizard
When the battery is that low, the fridge does not work, and is no more than a cooler,
From a practical stand point
If you are going to continue renting this RV,
Replace the battery, consider it part of the ongoing rental expense, changing RVs would probably cost more than replacing battery,
then run the generator
2 hrs in the morning and 2 hours in the evening,
This will keep the battery in shape so the furnace can provide heat, and the fridge doesn't defrost and food spoil
1 hour a day is not enough, good battery or bad,
You must replace all the amp hours of power used, on a regular basis
Running the engine or generator to charge a bad battery is a waste of fuel,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the rental place had it wired that way to keep the battery from running so quickly.