cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furnace won’t light

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mh was parked all winter. Yesterday morning we used both furnaces and they worked fine. This morning the front furnace comes on blowing for a minute then shuts down. What should we check first?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
7 REPLIES 7

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
DC&MC wrote:
Mh was parked all winter. Yesterday morning we used both furnaces and they worked fine. This morning the front furnace comes on blowing for a minute then shuts down. What should we check first?

do you hear the gas valve click after it runs for a bit or the igniter sparking? Sometimes it is easier to hear that outside at the exhaust but if you're able to take the panel off and watch it's good. If either of those are happening your sail switch is fine. If I only had a dollar for every time a sail switch was changed unnecessarily Haha.

I would start with the basics. propane on and full, battery voltage good enough, thermostat set high enough (put it on max for testing)
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I think our OP has left the building.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't there a thing called a sail switch? - I think that is what I have to mess with if mine does not start. Usually it is from sitting for a long time not getting used. I seldom use my furnace and usually only in the spring. Look on YouTube for suggestions. I have found that the best resource.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
What make, and model is it? If Atwood, they have a regular problem where the electronic circuit board gets mild corrosion on the board connections where the multi-conductor plug is plugged in. I pull the plug, and clean the tabs on the board with a pencil eraser. That usually fixes it.

What others suggested also, particularly mud in the vent pipe.

One other suggestion is the green ground wire may be corroded where the screw is. Loosen it and re-tighten it. That is a common problem after setting also.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Low Battery voltage

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You have LP, is it turned on? Not trying to be crass and overstating the obvious. But that would be the first thing I'd check.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Spiders in orifice possibly?? Gas on?? Does stove light?? Is it cold where RV is?? Possible regulator froze?? Is blower coming on??
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie