cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone replaced a switch for their Onan generator?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the past few years I've had a few occasions that my builtin Onan 2500 LP generator wouldn't start by the switch inside. It "remedies" itself later. It feels like it's pretty loose to me. The connectors are absolutely solid.

I'm wondering if I should jut bite the bullet and replace it. Fyi, the total number of hours is just less of 52 over 17 years although much of that time is just a few minutes to run the microwave. The switch price is about $160 from what I can tell.

Have you replaced yours or do you have a different idea about what could be wrong?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
13 REPLIES 13

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just to follow up, there is a multiwire connection plug above the generator in the generator compartment at the very top/back. It's hard to notice unless you are very low. Anyway, it seemed a bit loose although still attached.It's a standard type automative connection. I added two tie wraps through the wire to snug the tow parts up.

So far, the generator has worked. I will report back if we have the intermittent start again. My guess is that connection vibrated a bit loose from time to time. That seems more plausible than the switch being worn out.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

MrWizard
I did this once,
But I took the rocker switch out of the switch panel, when to the local surplus hobby electronics store and got a replacement $3 Rocker Switch to replace the old one,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
Jimh406: You might test it with an ohm meter after you remove it from the wall and disconnect the wires. May be able to work some contact cleaner into the switch itself. The prime is not needed on the propane generator like the gas ones. Just start and stop. Might have to do multiple starts if propane has been turned off a while. I wait ~30 seconds between start attempts.I take it always works fine from the switch on the generator itself just not so handy! I have the same setup on my Lance TC.
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
It probably won't start because you don't have enough hours on it

It actually starts fine when the button works. ;). Funny though. I have used synthetic oil from the beginning.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
It probably won't start because you don't have enough hours on it (supposed to exercise the generator for a half hour every month).

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my interior remote switch years ago. Don't remember the price. Basically plug and play. Just make sure you have the correct part #. Only the plastic button was a little different due to the coaches year. it is a 5500 gas onan with 5,000 hours on a 06 motorhome.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:
The remote switch wiring is plugged into the generator. That connection probably needs cleaning.

Richard

I'll check.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The remote switch wiring is plugged into the generator. That connection probably needs cleaning.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
1 800 800 3317 Electric Generators Direct. Saw some in $60-70 range. Not sure about shipping. You should know your part number or model before calling.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgum wrote:
Where did you get that price? I see some for $52. More description may provide better reply.

Here's one. Note: it has a prime as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-Onan-Generators-Components-300-5332/dp/B00I8S0Z2O/ref=asc_df_B00I8S0Z...

I haven't verified if this works with my model. It's just an example.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you get that price? I see some for $52. More description may provide better reply.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mleekamp wrote:
I have not replaced one, but a few years ago on our Class C, the inside switch didn't work. Since we were camping, I used the switch directly on the gen. The next morning, as i was trying to figure out why the sw didn't work, it did. And continued for few more years. Who knows.

Sorry, not helping with your issue, but it's FYI

Yes, kinda of a weird situation for me, too. It helps to know that others have experienced it as well.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have not replaced one, but a few years ago on our Class C, the inside switch didn't work. Since we were camping, I used the switch directly on the gen. The next morning, as i was trying to figure out why the sw didn't work, it did. And continued for few more years. Who knows.

Sorry, not helping with your issue, but it's FYI