cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000i leaking gas around carb

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
This is NOT the rough idling due to old fuel. Been there, done that.

The generator runs perfectly but leaks gas around the top of the carburetor starting a minute or so after starting it and for about 5 minutes after shutting it off.

I've taken it apart and the gaskets all look okay (but I will likely replace them anyway). In doing some research I'm finding some information about the float sticking or being damaged but the info is kind of vague. Has anyone run across this and if it's the float, what exactly did you do to fix it?
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
some honda 2000i are covered by a recall for fuel leak you might check and see if yours is one.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah was gonna say if bad needle valve shouldn't it run like **** and leak so much gas you would turn it off immediately? Not familiar with the engine but usually the gas overflow port has a tube to direct gas away.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got around to digging into this and I think it turns out the carb was just loose. I was really just trying to refresh my memory about where it was leaking so I pulled the carb off to see how the parts went together. When I put it back together no more leaking! I had been on some REALLY bumpy roads right before it started leaking so maybe it just worked it's way loose. In any case, if anyone finds this thread with a similar problem, try just removing the carb, check the gasket and tighten in back up. You just may get lucky like me.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Might be that the gas cap isn't venting right, over pressurizing the tank. Try running it next time with the cap loose and see if the problem goes away.

Huh???

His leak occurs shortly after starting and stops shortly after powering off. This isn't a gravity leak, it's a pressure leak. Gas tanks need to be vented for two reasons;
1. as gas leaves the tank, a vacuum forms behind it
2. as gas is agitated in a tank it vaporizes and pressurizes the tank.

It is my opinion that the genny running vibrates the tank and it builds up pressure. The cap is vented to release such pressure, but if the cap is faulty, it won't. When that happens, pressure builds up and is forced past the float valve and over fills the bowl and viola! a leak occurs. After powering off the genny, the vibrations stop and the pressure bleeds off. Once it's bled off, the leak stops.

I believe the Honda has a fuel pump, so gravity isn't an issue. Also, vapor pressure is a function of temperature, I don't think agitating the tank has anything to do with it.

I'm going with needle/float malfunction as the most likely problem here...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:
Might be that the gas cap isn't venting right, over pressurizing the tank. Try running it next time with the cap loose and see if the problem goes away.

Huh???

His leak occurs shortly after starting and stops shortly after powering off. This isn't a gravity leak, it's a pressure leak. Gas tanks need to be vented for two reasons;
1. as gas leaves the tank, a vacuum forms behind it
2. as gas is agitated in a tank it vaporizes and pressurizes the tank.

It is my opinion that the genny running vibrates the tank and it builds up pressure. The cap is vented to release such pressure, but if the cap is faulty, it won't. When that happens, pressure builds up and is forced past the float valve and over fills the bowl and viola! a leak occurs. After powering off the genny, the vibrations stop and the pressure bleeds off. Once it's bled off, the leak stops.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Ski Pro 3 wrote:

Huh???

X2
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
more then likely the fuel passage that shuts off from the float valve is clogged and not letting the valve close, remove the valve and blow compressed air up the inlet line, make sure the main gas line from the tank is removed or the gas cap, otherwise it will spit it back at you with pressure once your done

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Ski Pro 3 wrote:

Huh???
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Thanks Guys! That's exactly what I needed to know. I had it all apart a couple years ago after leaving gas in it over the winter. I guess I'll be learning how to fix something else.

Not a big deal. One bolt on the bottom of the carb and off coms the bowl. Pull the pin on the side of the float and the nedele and float will come right out.

Should take about 5 minutes.
2015 Backpack SS1500

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys! That's exactly what I needed to know. I had it all apart a couple years ago after leaving gas in it over the winter. I guess I'll be learning how to fix something else.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Float needle is stuck. Remove the bowl, pull the float pin and float (with needle) and clean the needle seat and orfice..... or get a new needle from the Honda shop.

If the float is leaking you'll know it, shaking it, i will sound full of liquid.

I think Honda's have plastic floats however so they don't leak.
2015 Backpack SS1500

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is more likely a problem with the inlet needle that is controlled by the float. Make sure it and the seat are CLEAN. Check the float by immersing it in warm (not hot) water. If bubbles appear replace it.