cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LiFePo battery upgrade question

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a 200AH LifePo battery to replace my two 100AH lead acid batteries and also a compatabile converter which takes care of charging the battery with shore or generator power but what about charging the battery with the alternator? Does the battery's BMS take care of everything and therefore no need to change or upgrade the alternator? Sorry if this is a dumb question!
59 REPLIES 59

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Teleman,

I was able to mount the three I use near the drivers seat in the wall. It makes it quite convenient for switching while I'm trundling down the road.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
Teleman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman,

Another reason to have a bypass circuit is for a "poor mans" boost switch. If the chassis batteries are dead, you would be able to get some amps into them from the "house" bank. Don't have it "active" when starting. The Li bms will NOT like it.

If the alternator did fail, then that bypass circuit could be used to keep the engine running a lot longer while getting to a service center. Of course the Redarc ought to be turned off to do this.

What kind of switch do you use? I take it using the house battery boost switch as is isn't recommended? I carry a jump start battery pack too.

Hi Teleman,

I use this type:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_786125?impressionRank=3

I like it because I store it with the "key" hanging on a string. It would be nearly impossible to turn it on by accident. Maximum load up to 300 Amp @ 24 Volt DC.

OK thanks.

Do you place it between the staring battery and the charger or the charger and house battery? How did you mount it?

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman,

Another reason to have a bypass circuit is for a "poor mans" boost switch. If the chassis batteries are dead, you would be able to get some amps into them from the "house" bank. Don't have it "active" when starting. The Li bms will NOT like it.

If the alternator did fail, then that bypass circuit could be used to keep the engine running a lot longer while getting to a service center. Of course the Redarc ought to be turned off to do this.

What kind of switch do you use? I take it using the house battery boost switch as is isn't recommended? I carry a jump start battery pack too.

Hi Teleman,

I use this type:

I like it because I store it with the "key" hanging on a string. It would be nearly impossible to turn it on by accident. Maximum load up to 300 Amp @ 24 Volt DC.

OK thanks.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Teleman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman,

Hi Teleman,

I use this type:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman wrote:
otrfun wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
. . . Can it be limited to 20 amps if need be? . . .
This could potentially be an important feature consideration. It'll be interesting to see if the 124a alternator has the headroom to handle the additional ~40a load for the long haul.

I'll have to look into it. I was originally looking at a 25A unit but that would have been inadequate for 400 watts of solo panels, which I plan to install next spring.

That would not be a switch. It would be a feature on the dc to DC charger.

Sorry that wasn't meant for you. Since edited.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Teleman wrote:
otrfun wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
This could potentially be an important feature consideration. It'll be interesting to see if the 124a alternator has the headroom to handle the additional ~40a load for the long haul.

I'll have to look into it. I was originally looking at a 25A unit but that would have been inadequate for 400 watts of solo panels, which I plan to install next spring.

That would not be a switch. It would be a feature on the dc to DC charger.
Regards, Don

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman,

That is a good decision. Can it be limited to 20 amps if need be? It is a far superior make.

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Teleman,

That is a good decision. Can it be limited to 20 amps if need be? It is a far superior make.

Regards, Don

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
After having the chance to investigate further I decided to return the Renogy unit and bite the bullet and get a Redarc 40A waterproof charger. It's $320 more but it's really the best solution. Trying to figure out a way to keep the Renogy dry was pretty much impossible without moving it to a basement. This way I can place it right next to the house battery and only a few feet from the starting battery. It also has a solar input with an MPPT regulator so when I add solar panels eventually I won't have the added expense of one.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I did not use the above--my cousin had 50 amp ones available.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Teleman wrote:

Can you recommend or share links to the circuit breakers? I need a 60a and 50a. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.ca/MASO-Waterproof-Circuit-Breaker-Suitable/dp/B07JYWD852/ref=asc_df_B07JYWD852/?...

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Circuit-Breaker-Reset-Fuseholder-50Amp-100Amp-12-24V-Reset-Fuseholder-f...
Regards, Don

Teleman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Teleman wrote:
If I can mount it in a plastic box safely I can keep the wires really short, 12-18", as the starter and house batteries are located very close to each other under the hood. Renogy recommendso 6ga from the starter battery up to 8' and a 60a fuse, and 8ga and a 50a fuse to the house battery.

If there is room--use a plastic battery box to hold the renogy. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation. dc to DC are not wonderfully efficient so the unit may need to dissipate over 250 watts of heat.

One minor concern. Is the starter battery flooded? If so the renogy should not be in the same compartment (corrosion will eat the renogy up). If the starter is AGM, then that's ok for the renogy to be in the same compartment.

I use auto reset circuit breakers rather than fuses.

I have dual 50amp charging paths (an attempt to improve charging before dc to DC devices were available). I've seen 70 amps--back in the old days when I had flooded house batteries (975 amp hours). I would use my inverter while running down the road and turn on the water heater. I used a duty cycle of 20 minutes on and 40 minutes off. I have manual control over the isolation solenoids.

Can you recommend or share links to the circuit breakers? I need a 60a and 50a. Thanks!