cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Residentials and generators - all day.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a rustic no-hookups CG where I'm fortunate to be able camp well away from a newbie with an i-Power brand inverter generator that he runs ALL DAY. Why? Because he has a residential refrigerator.

This i-Power unit is pretty loud. I was thinking it didn't have an Eco throttle or the owner wasn't aware it did, but it does, and he's using it. Problem is, even at its lowest power output, it's tough to carry on a conversation near it. If you're wanting to avoid the cost of a Honda/Yamaha, I strongly recommend the Predator over the i-Power unit. I was pleasantly suprised at the quietness of the Predator.

Residential refers are pretty and keep your initial costs down, but IF you plan on doing a lot of boondocking, take it seriously they will need 120v power. And that's either going to be solar/batteries/inverter or generator. Your salesman will try to wow you with how hard your ice cream will and how much they hold. Don't be blinded by that. These refers need 120v power.

Running a generator, ANY generator, all day is just obnoxious.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
33 REPLIES 33

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best thing about boondocking it that it is easy to just get up and move.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Common sense is not always common.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
So, was this "newbie" in violation of any of the campground rules?
No, but I'm glad the CG host was aware of it, annoyed by it, and warned me before I camped there.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
So, was this "newbie" in violation of any of the campground rules?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can't fix stupid & you can't change inconsiderate people. Boating the way most people do it is if arriving at an anchorage & the only other boat there is running a genny then you have no grounds to complain. They were there first.

Same at Walmart. If you arrive & there is an area with a group running gennys & another not running gennys show some respect if you want to run a genny & go join the noisy crowd, don't be disturbing the quiet section with your noise & exhaust.

Simple really.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often hard to approach these new one's that are still figuring out how everything works. I wonder how much fuel he burns every day.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Is the RV & generator new? It may grind on him after a year or so.
Yep, total newbie. Spent what.. 100 grand on truck and rig, and saved $400 on a generator...?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the RV & generator new? It may grind on him after a year or so.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
Sometimes you can't help stupid people.

The problem is, stupid people don't know they're stupid.

Yeah ... and what's worse is often stupid people think that personal opinion is a valid substitute for high IQ ... and often high IQ people think that high IQ is a valid substitute for wisdom. :S
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I avoid well attended campgrounds like the plague. July and August are the time for backpacking and boat trips. I would move if you can't talk the guy out of running his new toy all day.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
This is somewhat akin to parking 20 spaces past the last car in the grocery parking lot, only to come out and find someone parked 6 inches from your car.

Lots of stupid people, jerks, idiots and smart a$$es in the world.

Charles

Apparently GA has much in common with PA. I'm that guy that parks way out there and tell the wife that I'm gonna make some SOB walk a long way. Never fails.

We overnight-ed at a Walmart and had a tractor-trailer maneuver till he had his generator four feet from our bedroom window, it was quite obvious he wanted to be a jerk. In the morning he left a shopping cart filled with garbage to show his appreciation for free parking.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
Trackrig wrote:

Well Said, Unfortunately I seem to have the ability to pick them out of a crowd.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
This is somewhat akin to parking 20 spaces past the last car in the grocery parking lot, only to come out and find someone parked 6 inches from your car.

Lots of stupid people, jerks, idiots and smart a$$es in the world.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.