cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why not jack trailer under the spring plates?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
For years people have asked where to place the jack in order to jack up a travel trailer. And people always say do not put the jack under the spring pack. This has bothered me for years because it doesn't make sense to me. Now I'm not an engineer by any means. But could somebody please explain why under the spring pack is bad? I mean look at the pictures below. In an under slung axle the entire weight of the trailer looks to be on two very small u-bolts. Am I wrong? It seems that the u-bolts are holding the weight. If the thin u-bolts are holding the weight.and the spring is on a thin perch welded under the axle; How is jacking at that point going to be a problem?

And in a travel trailer with over slung axles putting a block, or even a floor jack under the axle seems like it would be okay. The axle tube is thick enough to hold the trailer in the air with the u-bolts on top. Are we saying the tube is thinner on the opposite side of the axle tube?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
44 REPLIES 44

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
For years people have asked where to place the jack in order to jack up a travel trailer. And people always say do not put the jack under the spring pack. This has bothered me for years because it doesn't make sense to me.

That info is only propagated by the rvnet peanut gallery afaik.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Well at least it's good to know that I'm not alone in jacking from the spring pack.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
red31 wrote:
I find the frame easier to access than what is behind a wheel.

But twice as high, so more likely to have the jack tip over.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rdhetrick wrote:
one of the bolts holding the springs could fail.

If one of the U-bolts fail when jacking on the plate, something was already seriously wrong. The forces on those bolts when you hit a pothole at 65mph are likely dozens of times higher than slowly jacking up an axle.

Now if the axle is below the springs, you may run into an issue of finding a nice flat area to lift as both bolts and axle are round.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
15 years of jacking under the bottom spring leaf right next to the axle. Can't imagine doing it anywhere else except when needing to change a spring pack.

Simple & safe. The bottle jack is lifting at a flat surface.

Lifting under a U bolt is asking for trouble.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I believe if you do some checking, it's the manufacturers that say not to jack up the trailer by the axles and use the frame instead. But, IMO, that is a simple CYA. If they said it was okay to use the axle, then some nimrod would end up jacking in the middle of the axle so they could lift both sides, or some other moronic reason, and then complain when the axle bends: "But it said I could use the axle to jack up the trailer. It's not my fault".

You know what sir.. I think you just NAILED IT.

Yup. And I've read stories that fully support the "Then some nimrod..."part of your post.

does it spicificly say for changing tires and such, or when they talk about jacking from the frame are they talking about for leveling/stabalizer blocks.. I don't ever remember anything about jacking to fix a flat or what not but I'l double check, may have glossed over that section thinking " who doesn't know hot to jack a tire for changing"
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've been jacking up various trailers, including OTR trailers, for over 60 years. About the only times I don't use the spring pad is one, when the springs are what I'm servicing, and two, when the jack doesn't fit under the pad due to a flat or blown tire.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I believe if you do some checking, it's the manufacturers that say not to jack up the trailer by the axles and use the frame instead. But, IMO, that is a simple CYA. If they said it was okay to use the axle, then some nimrod would end up jacking in the middle of the axle so they could lift both sides, or some other moronic reason, and then complain when the axle bends: "But it said I could use the axle to jack up the trailer. It's not my fault".

You know what sir.. I think you just NAILED IT.

Yup. And I've read stories that fully support the "Then some nimrod..."part of your post.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Sounds like the same 'internet' rumors that get passed down from generation to generation.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

Forums are the 2022 version of the advice you used to get at your favorite saloon.
If you think it's any better because it's from the internet I have some real estate to sell you.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
If under warranty and you Jack from springs when manufacturer says no and something goes wrongโ€ฆno coverage.

Well, any 'warranty' can be denied for any reason... So, in the end, do whatever method works best for you and your situation...

If you are unsure, or unable to physically do this, probably best to have some sort of 'road side assistance' coverage so you can just call someone to do it.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sounds like the same 'internet' rumors that get passed down from generation to generation.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
If under warranty and you Jack from springs when manufacturer says no and something goes wrongโ€ฆno coverage.

If you do anything expecting to have coverage under warranty, good luck with it.

If the manufacturers worked as hard at building RVs as they do at coming up with all the red tape in their warranty documents, no one would need a warranty.

If you have an issue with frame, especially if its LCI, they'll claim overload before anyone even looks at it. If your roof leaks they'll claim lack of required maintenance. When the pleather furniture peels they'll refer you to the manual where it states its only meant for "part time" use. They're good at denying warranty claims and have decades of experience screwing the buyer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know this is all about jacking rigs with leaf springs... That's why I like my torsion suspension setups I've had on the only 2 rigs I've owned for the last 20 years..

This is my old 2003 Prowler Lynx TT. What you don't see in the pic is the jack stands on either side on the frame as well. The bottle jack is just there to get the tires off the ground initially and then I put the stands under and release the jack so it's just there to jack up again to remove the stands..

Anyway, I've done the same on the Rockwood, I've just gotten a larger bottle jack cause I needed more extension on the pistons..

And NO, the frame is NOT bending... It's just the way the picture came out.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard anyone say not to use the spring perch; on the contrary I've always heard to use the spring perch as opposed to using the axle tube itself.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

red31
Explorer
Explorer
I find the frame easier to access than what is behind a wheel.